Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
nVidia - "fixed" the hardware accelerated encoder
[Post New]
I noticed in my system that installing newer versions of drivers will erase the "nvcuvenc . dll" file from the system location, so I need to re-copy it in order to have HA active again.

In other order, I just installed a Quadro 6000 in place of my previous Quadro 2000 and I noticed that now the MP4 encoding is HA too (and it works), whil ebefore it was active only for AVC and MKV.
Of course, the HA in PD12 works only up to 1920x1080, not for 2K or 4K formats.
I am not sure if others have the same experience or is a just fluke.

[Thumb - AVC.PNG]
 Filename
AVC.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
329 time(s)
[Thumb - MP4.PNG]
 Filename
MP4.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9519 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Oct 07. 2014 19:24

Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I noticed in my system that installing newer versions of drivers will erase the "nvcuvenc . dll" file from the system location, so I need to re-copy it in order to have HA active again.

In other order, I just installed a Quadro 6000 in place of my previous Quadro 2000 and I noticed that now the MP4 encoding is HA too (and it works), whil ebefore it was active only for AVC and MKV.
Of course, the HA in PD12 works only up to 1920x1080, not for 2K or 4K formats.
I am not sure if others have the same experience or is a just fluke.

Thanks SoNic67 for pointing that out I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 08, 2009 23:44 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for posting this fix! Windows Update updated by Nvidia drivers and PD-12 (with latest updates) would no longer use hardware acceleration. I downloaded the latest from Nvidia -- still no go. I installed the files from this zip file and PD-12 now uses the hardware again!

Really sad that Cyberlink doesn't have this posted in their PD-12 updates page, and that people have to ferret in out here, and manually install the patch from a non-official web site. Our love/hate relationship with PD continues...

:o)
Robert [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2014 17:03 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
My home computer just died. I am typing this on my office computer. I am looking at buying a system with Windows 8.1, X99 motherboard, i7 5960x processor, & nvidia gtx 980 graphics card.

Appears that this graphics card requires driver 344.11. Please excuse me if the answer to my question has already been answered earlier - I admit I got lost.

If in fact this card does require 344.11 or greater, do you think I am out of luck with using PD12/PD13's support for Nvidia Cuda acceleration?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I tested a GTX970 on Win7 and the older dll's work fine there, I'd think the 980 results would be the same. Not sure for WIN8.1. Good luck finding a 9 series, supply really tight.

Jeff
[Post New]
Quote: I tested a GTX970 on Win7 and the older dll's work fine there, I'd think the 980 results would be the same. Jeff

Since the old encoder uses CUDA cores, I don't see why it won't work with any CUDA-enabled card.
Too bad CL didn't decide to develop their own encoder, instead of relying on nVidia for that.

For example Sony Vegas and Adobe Media Encoder have their own CUDA-based encoders. Sony has even an OpenCL one (for AMD/ATI), but in my experience with nVidia is way slower.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2014 06:25

Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I tested a GTX970 on Win7 and the older dll's work fine there, I'd think the 980 results would be the same. Jeff

Since the old encoder uses CUDA cores, I don't see why it won't work with any CUDA-enabled card.
Too bad CL didn't decide to develop their own encoder, instead of relying on nVidia for that.

For example Sony Vegas and Adobe Media Encoder have their own CUDA-based encoders. Sony has even an OpenCL one (for AMD/ATI), but in my experience with nVidia is way slower.

Phew, HI SoNic67, I'm thinking of upgrading my Nvidia GT 640, what GPU (s) would you recommend? At the moment the only edit software I'm now using that can use a GPU is PD 13 ( yes, I've taken the plunge!)

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
[Post New]
IMO nVidia is still the best choice out there.
Depending of the amount of money there a few options, all based on Maxwell architecture:
GTX 750 based on a GM107 core - 512 cores. 1GB GDDR5 memory.
GTX 750 Ti based on a full GM107 core - 640 cores. 2GB GDDR5 memory.
Quadro K620 based on a GM107GL core - 384 cores. 2GB GDDR3 memory.
Quadro K2200 based on a full GM107GL core - 640 cores. 4GB GDDR5 memory.

More expensive than that, I doubt there will be any returns.
Best buy: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/asus-gtx750ti-oc-2gd5-geforce-gtx-750-ti-graphic-card-1072-mhz-core-2/261715254.html
Highest quality: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/pny-quadro-k2200-graphic-card-4-gb-gddr5-sdram-pci-express-2-0-x16/269846491.html

Bechmarks: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/nvidia-quadro-k5200-k4200-k2200_9.html

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 12. 2014 23:28

Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote: IMO nVidia is still the best choice out there.
Depending of the amount of money there a few options, all based on Maxwell architecture:
GTX 750 based on a GM107 core - 512 cores. 1GB GDDR5 memory.
GTX 750 Ti based on a full GM107 core - 640 cores. 2GB GDDR5 memory.
Quadro K620 based on a GM107GL core - 384 cores. 2GB GDDR3 memory.
Quadro K2200 based on a full GM107GL core - 640 cores. 4GB GDDR5 memory.

More expensive than that, I doubt there will be any returns.
Best buy: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/asus-gtx750ti-oc-2gd5-geforce-gtx-750-ti-graphic-card-1072-mhz-core-2/261715254.html
Highest quality: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/pny-quadro-k2200-graphic-card-4-gb-gddr5-sdram-pci-express-2-0-x16/269846491.html

Bechmarks: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/nvidia-quadro-k5200-k4200-k2200_9.html

Wow, thanks once again, SoNic67 , for a very quick reply.
I think that the Quadro GPU is a little out of my range at the moment but the GTX 750 Ti appears to fit the bill. I'm also upgrading my i5 to a i7 4790 CPU with 32 gigs of ram. It should speed up my video editing

Many thanks again I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
[Post New]
You will definitely need a fast CPU to feed those CUDA cores.
When I upgraded my video card, keeping my CPU (that was already maxed out at 100%), I found out that the GPU load % actually decreased (processing time for video file remained the same).

Basically no extra work (for the new extra cores jump from 192 to 480) was dispatched from the existing CPU.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 13. 2014 13:01

Jan-Ben [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 28, 2014 16:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi SoNic67

Thank you for the files

I've got a question, I've added a pre-made video as an opening for my project's menu (text fades in, and it looks great that way). Now when I preview the file in the menu template design tab, it plays out fine, but as soon as I apply the template to the menu structure, the video file is slow and doesn't render/preview correctly as it should've like in the menu template design window...

Is this a problem with the software or the graphics card? I'm using PD12 64bit with Windows 7 Pro 64bit and Geforce Gtx 760 with the 344.11 driver.

Any help on this would be MUCH appreciated.
[Post New]
I saw online several reports of errors with 344 generation drivers (both GeForce and Quadro). Personally I have a Quadro card and the 344 drivers added some instability, so I installed the newer driver 340 (plus the fix described in this thread) - for Quadro lineup there are two "branches", 340.84 is newer than 344.11. It seems that they had to fix it quickly for their professional lineup of cards (see attached pic).

For your GeForce I would recommend to try the previous 340.52. With the "fix" files added again after installation.

[Thumb - Quadro_drivers.PNG]
 Filename
Quadro_drivers.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3480 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 14. 2014 06:55

Jan-Ben [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 28, 2014 16:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Sonic

Thanks for your suggestion.

Alas, the downgrade to the 340 driver didn't solve the problem.

What happens is, I made a pre-menu video which I added in my custom menu template. When I preview the file from within the Template designer, the Video runs smoothly and transitions perfectly into the static menu, where you can choose to play the movie (a wedding in this case)

But, as soon as I preview the file, after the template has been applied (With custom text, menu music, etc.) The video is slower and thus creates about a 2-3 second delay before the static menu appears. The audio plays fine, but that's where the 2-3 second delay becomes evident as the music has stopped already, but the video is still slowly playing before the static menu appears.

I wonder if this is an issue with the Opening Movie Menu option. All other files. (including the movie itself and my company's video file that plays beforehand) previews perfectly.

PS: All my video files are rendered MPEG2 (DVD HQ) Quality on 25Fps (PAL).

[Post New]
Hi Sonic

I have issues with PD 12 Batch production, Hardware video encoding is not selected for mp4 output format .... I have latest Nvida drivers 344.11 installed with GTX 780

I have copied your files to system 32 folder (overwritten it) but still no luck

Could you please help?

Prash

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21. 2014 13:47

PROHDGaming Subcribe @ http://bit.ly/1650GFv
[Post New]
Check one more time to see if nvcuvenc.dll is present. Every time you install new drivers, it gets deleted.

Also, like I said before, I had issues with the 344.11 drivers on my Fermi-based card, so I had to go back to the one before that (340).

Lastly, when installing the new drivers, choose "custom" and "clean install". That will uninstall first the previous drivers and install fresh ones.

PS: Fermi cards are still the most compatible for video editing. Kepler and Maxwell cards have a newer hardware-based encoder that is not supported (AFAIK) by any video editor.

On the other hand, their CUDA double floating point performance is crippled to favor gaming. The video encoder is based on CUDA floating point performance.
Fermi Quadro 6000 has 1/2 ratio
Fermi gaming cards have 1/8 ratio
Kepler gaming cards have 1/24 ratio
Maxwell gaming cards have 1/32 ratio.

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Oct 21. 2014 20:11

[Post New]
ThankS Sonic

I will try using older version of Driver and see if it works fine with PD 12/13

PROHDGaming Subcribe @ http://bit.ly/1650GFv
[Post New]
Don't forget to check first what I said. I didn't say anything about older drivers.

If you go that route, Try the 337.88 drivers. Those are officially supported by PD12 and 13. If those don't work on your Kepler... get a Fermi card (like GTX 480, 570, 580 or Quadro 2000-6000).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 22. 2014 07:52

Cotofana [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 27, 2014 10:10 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
@SoNic67, I am using 347.09 drivers, installed the files provided in the first post (downloaded+copied in system32) but in cyberlink the whole "fast video rendering technology" is greyed out, including svrt and hardware video encoder.
What to do?
PS: Using PD12.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Did you check ALL output formats? Some do not support SVRT.
RykersMom2013 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 07, 2015 10:28 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
so ive been searching and searching for answers and this may help. i just bought my wife a brand new asus N550JK. specs r great i believe Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz (Turbo 3.4 GHz).
1TB Hard Drive. 8GB RAM. NVIDIA GTX850M 2GB-VRAM. but i can't believe how slow everything has been. i bought her powerdirector 13. sounds like 12 has just been figured out and no one has really played with 13 here. the hardware acceleration was able to be selected with latest drivers but doesnt seem to make a whole lot of difference. so last night i downgraded drivers to the 337.88. i did a custom instal but there was no option for clean install after that. nothing really changed. show i try this other dll thing you are talking about @sonic67. im almost ready to buy another editing program. i specifically bought my wife this laptop to do her editing and did tons of research and it seemed like powerdirector is seriously the best program to go with. but im starting to re consider. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
[Post New]
Your GTX850M is a Maxwell architecture (GM107 chip). So it has internally the hardware (nvenc) encoder, it doesn't need to rely on CUDA to do the encoding. Latest drivers should be just fine.
IMO laptops are a waste of money for serious work, with same amount you can get 2x the performance from a desktop.
Other software might be even worse for you (like the Sony editor - won't even recognize you new card).
Since you have a laptop, make sure you are using the nVidia card with PD13 - you might need to specifically do something for that (because crappy Optimus technology).

PS: I don't understand what PD version you use, this is a PD12 thread.