Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power DVD8 and X-Men: First Class
JibbaJabba [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 03, 2011 03:32 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I uninstalled PowerDVD and bought WinDVD from Corel...this was the last straw in a series of horrible technical and customer support problems with Cyberlink. They charge too damn much to treat us so badly.

Good riddance Cyberlink.

Joe83 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 19, 2009 01:10 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Guess no interest for any CL Tech support.... Too bad....
JPV511 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 19, 2011 01:31 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Make sure you guys contact tech support directly instead of waiting for them here. There's a disclaimer around here about not expecting support here. I just emailed tech support, I hope I get a reply with a resolution.
JibbaJabba [Avatar]
[Post New]
You won't. You'll get asked for your dxdiag file, then they will keep asking for more and more info than they would ever need to diagnose the problem, then they'll say its something wrong with your hardware and it can be fixed by upgrading to PowerDVD X.

Yes, I'm pretty bitter. Like I said, this is the last in a long line of unsolved problems from this company.

On the bright side, WinDVD is working flawlessly so far =)
JPV511 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, I paid a premium for 9 Ultra and I'm seeing WinDVD on sale for about $40. Tempting...
Mik3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2011 03:58 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
For some reason installing the 2916 patch over 2325 build causes more problems for me than leaving it alone. I may have to settle without watching xmen for a while. I was only able to play Robocop 2 with 2916. Every other Blu ray would lock up at 99% loading. I even removed IE9 from my system. Same results.

ezio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 14, 2011 17:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I bought the blu ray version of the film and tells me to come here for the update. No update. the lil active X thing never pops up. so i look for the updates here but I dont know what program im using. All my laptop says is HP Mediasmart DVD. is there any way to update it so i can watch this movie?
JPV511 [Avatar]
[Post New]
JibbaJabba, did you get WinDVD yet? Which version? Does it play this Blu-Ray out of the box? I'm curious as I just plopped down $40 on WinDVD Pro 2010.
Charles1701 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 09, 2011 17:52 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: JibbaJabba, did you get WinDVD yet? Which version? Does it play this Blu-Ray out of the box? I'm curious as I just plopped down $40 on WinDVD Pro 2010.

he may not have But I did. I got windvd pro 10 and it works perfectly. it played xmen first class with no problems.
JibbaJabba [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yup, got it, patched it, and every movie I've tried works fine.

This looks amazingly bad for Cyberlink. Its been over a week, no word from the company on this issue, and we're extolling the virtues of their competitor's product on their forums...what a bunch of chumps.
Matthew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 09, 2011 15:50 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Picked this up its refurbished but it works plays xmen starwars sfr.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1147275
Mik3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2011 03:58 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hey guys. This title works now on my PowerDVD 10 after applying the 3306 patch. I'm running an ATI 5670 card so I also had issues with HDMI audio locking up blu rays, which I solved in the process. I've outlined my steps that I did to fix the problem.

- Uninstall PowerDVD
- Uninstall ATI 11.8 drivers
- Run CCleaner (Registry)
- Restart
- Install ATI 11.5 drivers
- Restart
- Install purchased (2325) build of PowerDVD
- Apply patch 3306 to PowerDVD

I no longer get freezes and xmen loads fine (Takes a little longer than my other blu rays though). ATI card is now bitstreaming again reliably to the AVR.

Cheers,

LordBane68 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 20, 2011 19:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have the OEM PowerDVD 8 on one computer system. And an upgraded, purchased version of PowerDVD 9 Ultra on another computer system. Neither work with Xmen First Class, neither say there is an "Update", both display a static screen saying I need to update my player and to go to "http://cyberlink.com/BDUpdate". Going there does nothing!
What a joke! Over the last couple of years, there has been one problem after another with my Cyberlink PowerDVD software stopping working for some reason or another.

One shouldn't have to be a IT pro just to watch a damn BD movie from time to time. I am seriously considering going to WinDVD (getting the trial version at the moment), or going old school back to a set top box player. I've already spent more with the Cyberlink software than the current set top cost in the link Matthew listed.

Cyberlink, ignore your customers and your customers will ignore you, and will no longer be your customers.

Tmitch910 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2011 23:33 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have the OEM PowerDVD 8 on one computer system. And an upgraded, purchased version of PowerDVD 9 Ultra on another computer system. Neither work with Xmen First Class, neither say there is an "Update", both display a static screen saying I need to update my player and to go to "http://cyberlink.com/BDUpdate". Going there does nothing!
What a joke! Over the last couple of years, there has been one problem after another with my Cyberlink PowerDVD software stopping working for some reason or another.

One shouldn't have to be a IT pro just to watch a damn BD movie from time to time. I am seriously considering going to WinDVD (getting the trial version at the moment), or going old school back to a set top box player. I've already spent more with the Cyberlink software than the current set top cost in the link Matthew listed.

Cyberlink, ignore your customers and your customers will ignore you, and will no longer be your customers.

When it comes to Blu-Rays like X-Men First Class and Star Wars, WinDVD is a better option, specifically WinDVD Pro 2010. I have that and X-Men runs flawlessly, and it automatically updates when needed. I still keep PowerDVD around, because not every Blu-Ray manufacturer uses the new copy protection scheme that Fox uses for their brand new stuff. Keep your options open.
Jiann [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 22, 2011 23:46 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
What this vapor ware .... I shoul not have to spend more thn I can buy a box dvd player, especially if i have to buy the internal player.

cycberlink is not up to par with the maker of oppe blu ray player. With that one, you spend 500.00 you get a blu-ray box and s/w with option to put top line digital filter. This brand hav been seen to make the internal with other label that sells for thousands.

Now that is worth spending money for. Cyber link get your act together. I already spent more than a sony 3d blu-ray player, and tht player is nowhere close to oppe blu ray player.
Tmitch910 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2011 23:33 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I paid 40 bucks for WinDVD Pro 2010, and it runs X-Men and Star Wars just fine. I'm done with Cyberlink's software.
JibbaJabba [Avatar]
[Post New]
The clear message from Cyberlink is:

"We aren't going to update PowerDVD9. If you want to watch your movies you will have to buy PowerDVD11...and 12...and 13, etc. Give us your money and in return we will take more of it every year or two, but don't expect anything fancy like customer service."

I am firmly against piracy, having worked in the game industry for years, but Cyberlink does not deserve to succeed. I will NEVER give them another cent, and I would happily pirate their software...if I wasn't already using WinDVD.

Edit: Check this thread out, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18867.page, it pretty much confirms what I just said above. A Cyberlink employee gives one half-assed suggestion, then just pitches the upgrade. Completely appalling.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2011 16:05

JPV511 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I jumped ship too. Long live Corel's WiniDVD Pro 2010. My copy played Xmen right out of the box. No update needed for this title, no update for anything. How sad that I'm praising a product because it actually works. WTH Cyberlink?
Kenneth Holm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2011 11:32 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
After having spent around 4 hours yesterday trying to figure out how to fix a "can't load SKUtil.dll" error message, I got it fixed. No help to Cyberlink though as I couldn't even access their FAQS-section. Now I have another problem: it just keeps asking me to update. When I do update, it says update complete, but still plays nothing. Instead it gives the same update please message again and again.

So I'm not excatly happy to see that the response is to upgrade to PowerDVD11 - I just bought PowerDVD10 six months ago or so. Is there no way to see BD without constant upgrades?

My problem is the Lion King and I always have problems with Disney.