Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I am SOOOO tired of PDUltra64 Freezing Up!!!
[Post New]
I better go to bed!! I only signed on intending to check for an update and to reload my STARBUCKS card..and look what happened to me.

Gnight ALL

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2011 03:05

Glastarflyer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2009 17:30 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry Fred, the hardware performance is not the issue, at least not THE major issue, in my honest opinion. I just spent the $2000 on a new PC, thinking that PD9 would work better. It does not. I have exactly the same problems as with my old box. Probably even worse.

And, as one other poster pointed out, software crashing is not really acceptable, whatever the reasons. It may go slow, you may get occesional error messages, though a crash every 20 minutes, average, is just not acceptable.
Apart from Power Director it is very rare that any other application ever crashes, and if it does, you would probably be presented a possible solution.

Some other poster suggested reverting to PD8 and that is actually not a bad idea. I have always used HD video, that's what I started out with and I have always added music, text effects and transitions to my videos. And even if PD7 and PD8 had a few crashes, it's nothing like PD9.
Yesterday, I had to make one of countless uninstall and reinstall of PD9 and since then, PD9 crashes on the opening screen. This is a new one. I am thinking PD8 and I think I will try it out. The problem is that I have a project in PD9 that I have spent more than 24 working hours. Right now, it looks like I would have to start all over again. From scratch. That is something I don't really appreciate.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 02. 2011 03:10

Glastarflyer [Avatar]
[Post New]
Frustration is the thing we are all suffering from. Both us in need of help and the poor souls trying to provide help.

And we all need to express it in some way.

I can only say THANK YOU to FredB and others, trying to help!

I still need to bitch a little over PD9. Have to get it out of my system. And it's a lot cheaper than throwing my new PC out through the window.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2011 03:22

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Glastarflyer

Have you tried PD8? Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
All I can say Glastarflyer, my computer does not crash with pd9, my computer does not freeze with PD9 and believe me there would be thousands of people out there happily using PD9. You don't get people coming to forums like this to say "WOW this software is GREAT"

They come here looking for solutions, which we do the best we can but honestly, I am not talking about you but many people you ask them to provide some information so we can help and all you get is a rant.

Having said all of that modern computers are very complicated machines with many many different configurations.

Short story from my experience a couple of weeks ago. I plugged in my Camera's usb lead right beside my usb dongle for my cordless mouse. I went into PD9 to work on the video. I dragged the video to the timeline, changed the aspect ratio and a few other things, then went to drag out the timeline but it wouldn't work, then it would, then it wouldn't.

I thought bloody Cyberlink it has stuffed up again. Long story short it was the Camera's usb lead interfering just enough to stop the usb dongle in the neighbouring usb from sending out a strong enough signal for the mouse to work properly.

Now have a computer with old video drivers, a faulty motherboard or any number of other variables LET ALONE the camera makers all having their own little tweaks to supposedly a standard video format. I am amazed sometimes that any of them work.

Bottom line if you can open PD drag the default "Nature" video to the timeline and successfully produce that. Or drop a 10 second test video from your camera to the timeline and successfully produce it. Then if you start to make a more complicated video and you strike problems, invariability points to your computer having problems, either not enough ram, not a fast enough processor, not enough free hd space etc

I think I will join Fred and go to bed myself. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Glastarflyer [Avatar]
[Post New]
Neil, no I am at work, I still haven't tried PD8. Maybe tonite.

Robert, for the sake of a healthy discussion : you have some good points. However, my guess is that not that many people are really doing any serious video editing. It takes too much time for the average Joe. Most would give it up after a few crashes.
Regarding the computer science... I am a long time Windows beta tester (since Win95) and a computer professional, besides doing a lot of advertising stuff, using Adobe CS. Some of the files I work with are really huge. InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash are my daily tools and even if any Adobe product is ten times more expensive than PD9, I still have no crashes whatsoever, with any other software. PD9 stands out, very clearly.
And, I do understand that the PC environment is very much more complex than for example, the Apple products. And it's not hard to understand that video editing is more demanding than anything else. I am still maintaining my view that PD9 is just not ready. It's a beta software, in my opinion. And I wouldn't hesitate to chuck it out, if I didn't have this much time invested in my current projects.

I once started out trying to learn Adobe Premiere and switched to PD7 on a recommendation. PD suited me fine, and I didn't have to fiddle so much to get the 16:9 output right. I still have Premiere, so I am thinking I might just go back to it and start learning the finer points of Adobe settings. Editing is much the same. I can't remember Premiere crashing, BTW. I might just try it to compare stability, as the crashes should be as frequent, if it really is a hardware issue I have.
It may take a week or so, though I will try both PD8 and Premiere and get back here and share my experiences.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Glastarflyer,
Thank you for sharing your background details. I must however remind you that this forum isn't for the promotion of other company's 32bit products thanks.

Hijacking a thread is not acceptable. Post as a new topic.

Thread locked.

Dafydd