Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD creation size problems
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: rbowser,

There are no tweaks to your system that would help as far as I know. It is just how the program estimates the size of the finished project. These estimates can vary a vast amount.

I very seldom ever look at the size estimate when burning a disk. I know I can get close to 1 hour on a standard single layer DVD and plan/edit my projects accordingly. I use DVD HQ for all DVD burns. If I am working on a large project (more than one hour expected) I will either plan on a dual layer DVD or plan on a two disk set.(part 1 and part 2)

Hal

Thanks for the reply Hal, and for being the voice of reason. I know from you and other major contributors to the forum that it's a known issue that PD simply cannot calculate file size correctly.

But the real issue is that PD says a project will be over 4 gigs, but then burns it to a much smaller size. That's nuts.

I want videos longer than an hour on a disc. My vacation video is 1 1/2 hours. It's only 3.38 gigs in size. WHY is that?--because PD shrunk it, reduced the quality - but in a stupid way. Intelligent video programs make a project of that length fit the disc with as little degradation as possible.

A 2 1/2 hour movie I transferred from tape - that's also under 4 gigs!-- As has been said on this thread - PD is squashing the life out of files, much more than it needs to in order to use the available DVD size.

rbowser
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
rbowser,

I know your frustration.

Because I like so many of the other aspects of PD, a main one being that it is one that I can easily afford, and it does almost every thing I expect (on my system), I have learned to work with/around its problems.

I have tried various other editing software packages and I can say, for myself, dollar for dollar there is no other package I would rather work with. Even with the problems and limitations.

PD is what it is. We can ask and hope for different improvements/enhancements, but in the end the program developers only have so much room to maneuver and keep the program affordable for myself and many others.

PD is mainly a video editing software that also does: there are specialized software packages for each of the following
1 - Minor audio editing
2 - Minor photo editing
3 - Disk burning

Each of the specialized packages for the above can cost a fair bit. If all of these specialized packages were to be included in PD then the cost would be out of many peoples price range. It is a balance of how much the public is willing to spend.

None of the above is meant to imply that many of the core features are working as well as they should. There are very certainly many improvements that are required and desired that would not increase the price of the software.

With the complexity and variations in computer hardware and software environments, it is sometimes difficult to envision all the possible combinations that may come up. Fixing a specific problem with software can very often lead to new unforseen problems in other areas. This happens with all commercially available software packages.

Sorry for rambling on, but I had to get it off my chest.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
[Post New]
I was having problems with PD8 freezing, burn problems, etc. and this had been going on for quite some time now, I recently changed my Background Theme back to Windows Basic Theme and no screensaver and had previously been running Windows AERO THEMES which take alot of system resources. I was trying my PD8 again one day and had no problems and tried several times after that and no more trouble. This change to my themes was the only new thing I had done to my computer. I don't know if that could help with your problem or not, but give it a try! can't hurt!
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure this will be of any use but take a look anyway.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15324.page

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi everyone,

I'm not sure this will be of any use but take a look anyway.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15324.page

Cheers,

Andrew

Yes, that looks helpful, Andrew. Thanks for posting the link.

rbowser
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I have run tests with IDENTICAL projects consisting of complex video files along with various video file types on the same project and have noticed that when either SVRT or HA is enabled the resultant size of the produced video varies by several K of bytes. Something to consider as to why PD is unable to guess correctly the end product size. Win 10, i7