Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director capture
PeteS [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Maryland, USA Joined: Oct 18, 2011 14:17 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
PD8. Could someone walk me through step by step, the process to capture video from a DVD player. I can't
seem to figure it out. Going brain dead. Thanks.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
By DVD player, do you mean you have a DVD disk you want to edit some video?

If you have a DVD disk you can copy the VOB files from the Video_TS folder to your computer. And then import the VOB files into Powerdirector.

If the disk is copyrighted, you may not be able to edit the video.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

PeteS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Okay, I see that and will try it. The reason I asked about capture to begin with is the DVD in question will only play on the machine it was recorded on. I conclude that some corruption is present and if I can just stream it in I may be able to recover. If copying VOB files can do the job, what is the Capture option for?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If copying VOB files can do the job, what is the Capture option for?

The capture option in Powerdirector is for DV tapes and if you have a Tuner card in your computer.

I have "captured" a DVD disk before in PD, There is a AVCHD item on the top of the Capture window that will 'Play' the disk to a mpg file.

That is not the same as just copying the Video files from the disk to your hard drive. You must copy the files on the DVD in order to edit them. As soon as you remove the disk from your drive the files you were editing disappear. PD only has a reference to the file location in its PDS file.

The reason I asked about capture to begin with is the DVD in question will only play on the machine it was recorded on

If The DVD was recorded in a stand alone DVD recorder, you must "Finalize' the disk in that machine before it will play in other DVD players.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 20. 2011 10:35

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

PeteS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again. Disk was finalized but something went crazy during the process. I had recorded an hour program. It turns out that three VOBs are involved. The first was 47 minutes, second 10 minutes, third 47 minutes but only the first three minutes are part of the hour program. The remaining 44 belong to the second program I recorded. Goofy hey what? I guess PD will allow me to stitch them together.
Carl312
[Post New]
I guess PD will allow me to stitch them together.

Yes, it will, just put the three vob files on the timeline.

VTS_01_1.VOB>VTS_01_2.VOB>VTS_01_3.VOB

Once they are on the timeline, you can split them where you want to and them remove that part you do not want.

By the way the number VTS_xx is the Title number.
01 is first title 02 is the second title and so on. Sometimes 01 is the menu.

VIDEO_TS.VOB is usually the Menu.

The format of a DVD makes the length of each VOB file about 45 minutes, in your case they are 47 Minutes.

PeteS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, did same, have done editing but am having odd phenomena with audio. If I run the whole thing as movie, one section has audio that is from a different section. But if I run the clip the audio matches. Any enlightenment? It is as if the audio doesn't split like the video.
Carl312
[Post New]
I have never had any problem with VOB files in PD8 or PD9.

I usually do not split the audio from VOB files because the VOB is a MPG2 file which is combined Video and Audio.
It is also the reason the AUDIO_TS folder on a DVD is empty.

I can not imagine, the audio from one video being heard in another VOB file.

I would check your timeline and be sure there is not a Audio track below the Video.

PeteS [Avatar]
[Post New]
The audio is not from another VOB. It is from a different part of the same VOB. There is an audio track on the master video track. I assume that is the audio from the VOB??
Carl312
[Post New]
I made a statement earlier that was incorrect;
The format of a DVD makes the length of each VOB file about 45 minutes, in your case they are 47 Minutes.

That is wrong, the normal time of a VOB segment is 15 Minutes if the recoding is HQ or sometime known as SP.

The audio is not from another VOB. It is from a different part of the same VOB. There is an audio track on the master video track. I assume that is the audio from the VOB??

That would be correct.
I would think it was recorded that way.

You can split the audio from the VOB.

In the Media Library, Right click the video>Extract Audio. Puts a WAV audio file in the library.
you then drag that WAV to the timeline (Music Track).

You can mute the main audio on the Video by right click>Mute Clip.

There is also a setting in Preferences that you might check on. In PD8 Press (ALT+C), Edit Tab.
Check that Link All Tracks..... is checked. That insures that when you split or move any one track the rest of the tracks adjust.

PeteS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, link tracks is checked. Guess I'll just have to redo that section and see what happens. Thanks for your help. It has been indeed helpful especially since this is my first time using PD
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks, did same, have done editing but am having odd phenomena with audio. If I run the whole thing as movie, one section has audio that is from a different section. But if I run the clip the audio matches. Any enlightenment? It is as if the audio doesn't split like the video.

Hi Petes,

This workaround "may" apply, and "possibly" help, with your sync issue...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7428.page#30029

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
PeteS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes!!! That did the trick. Rendering make the audio sync. How did you make a custom profile to raise the level up to 10mbs?
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: How did you make a custom profile to raise the level up to 10mbs?

PeteS [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks, power director is a fascinating program but they don't make it easy to find help for things. Is it the
bit rate that allows me to set my DVR for eight hours of programming on a nominal two hour DVD?