Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
VOB Files (audio sync issues)
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Everyone,

As the title says, I am having some problems working with the VOB files that are generated by my very lowest end SD Panasonic VDR D100 SD mini DVD camera. I don’t use this camera much, and the main problem is probably that I really don’t understand all that I don’t know about this subject. My searches revealed some similar and different problems, but I’m still a bit puzzled by it all. Here’s what I’m up to and the problems…

I used to capture off the mini DVDs by either using a USB capture device by Turtle Beach, or with PD’s capture function. But the Mpeg2 video quality always seems just a little bit jittery. But using this method works fine, and I can easily work with and edit the footage in PD.

If I create a TS Folder by copying the VOB files directly to my hard drive (from the mini DVD’s), and try to play any of these direct copy VOB files in either Windows Media Player 9 or VLC Player, the players only play the first 10 to 15 seconds and then zip to the end, and stop.
I’ve tried to convert these files (to Avi or Mp4 and other formats), in 2 separate conversion programs. But either only the first 10 to 15 seconds seem to covert, or the conversion just aborts and says it doesn’t recognize the file type.

However I “can” load these direct copy VOB files (from the TS Folder), into PD7’s Library. And when I drag a clip to the Master Track, it seems to play fine all the way through in the preview screen without the aforementioned jitters or any audio problems.
So why wouldn’t the same clip play in either WMP9 or VLC?
BUT… if I make just one simple split at say 2 minutes into this clip (who’s total duration is 15 minutes), when I highlight the remaining 13 minutes long clip and try to play/preview it, the video is fine, but the audio I get is the audio from the very start of this overall 15 minutes long clip, and not the audio that should be there at 2 minutes in. Or to put it another way, the video I see after the split is fine, but the audio is from 2 minutes ago.
As a work around I could extract the audio, mute the Master track, and the make splits in both the video and audio track. But… well, you know.
So editing these direct copy clips in PD is not a very productive enterprise.

Here is what I see upon clicking on Properties for the clip.
File
- file type > VOB
- file size > 1023MB
Video
- type > Mpeg2
- duration > 00:15:04:06
- bit rate > 9.56Mbps
- resolution > 704 x 480
- frame rate > 29.97
- aspect ratio > 4:3
Audio
- type > Dolby Digital
- audio > 48kHz @ 256Kbps

Here are my Desktop’s Specs
(Note: For those of you who gave your generous advice on my questions about a new computer purchase a few months back, you’ll see I had to comprise a bit (owning to medical expenses). But still, it’s a huge improvement over my laptop.)
- Intel Core2 Duo Processor > E7400 > 2.80 Ghz
- 4GB DDR2 SDRAM > 800Mhz
- 500GB Serial ATA II HD > 7200rpm
- AMD Radeon HD3450 > 256MB
My codecs come from the K-lite Full codec pack (which does list ffshow).
Post defrag, I have 97% available memory.

In summary:
- The direct copy VOB files won’t play in my Media Players, but they will play in PD.
- Though when only one simple split is executed in PD, the audio goes nutz.

I’ll probably eventually figure out what I’m doing here. Or go back to capturing, which works fine except for the little jitters (or get a real camera, maybe a Lucey C-Cam).
But if anyone has a couple of minutes, and has any wisdom or links to wisdom that they’d care to impart, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Cranston I have had the same issue, depending upon which computer I'm using and where the .vob files come from. I would suggest, just as a trial, try producing the .vob in one chuck and then reload that processed file in. I think you will find that your audio will be in sync. In fact, I believe, if I remember correctly, it is just viewing it in the timeline that's off. If you did your editing, without worrying about the sync and then processed, I think the sync would be on there too.

I have found in some instances though that the .vob files, once again depending upon the computer, which version of PD and the .vob file. Sometimes they won't process to the end (only about 80%) so you might run into that too.

My theory, although I'm sure it's not really the case, is that some .vob files are put together differently (thicker, which isn't a technical term) and are just not as easily used. Maybe they take more resources.

Once again, though, I think you will find that the only issue is the sync in the timeline, if you produce, I would bet that it will by in sync.

Good Luck.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Cranston,

I have also had trouble with a VOB file recently as well. My cousin was recording my wedding from the church balcony from his camera. PD would play his file, but there would be many artifacts which would not occur when played in Media Player Classic or VLC. I tried rendering that file to mpeg2 in PD to see if the problem would go away, but it did not. I then went to Super C and converted the file to VOB format. PD could now play the file properly without artifacts, but my HD would constantly be running and PD became painfully slow and eventually crash. I noticed the ffdshow was activated when the file was loaded into PD. To solve my problem I rendered the VOB file with PD to mpeg2 (DVD HQ) and the resulting file played properly.

You may want to follow McLean's suggestion and try to render the VOB file in the format you want and see what happens. Maybe the resulting file will play with the audio in sync and you can use that file if necessary. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Guys -

I haven't experienced the problem, nor tried the solutions, but I appreciate the question and different ideas for problem solving.

Good luck with it CP -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi McLean and James,
(wasn’t that the name of a popular wine cooler in the ‘70s, hahaha)

Your thoughts, advice and suggestions were spot on. Thank you!

I experimented with one of the VOB files (that would lose audio sync with just one simple split), and Produced it to a Mpeg2 DVD HQ file, and also to a DV-AVI file.
The result was that both of these files, when entered into the timeline, would now except multiple splits and trims, and the audio sync remained fully intact in all segments.

The visual quality of the Produced to Mpeg2 file (which by default rendered at a bitrate of 8.0Mbs), was slightly degraded compared to the original VOB file (which was recorded at 9.56Mbs). So I once again Produced the VOB file to Mpeg2. But this time I customized the profile to render at 10.0Mbs, and the difference in quality was now barely perceptible.

The visual quality of the Produced to DV-AVI file actually seemed to yield a slight amount of added sharpness in quality compared to the original VOB file. However, it also yielded a 3.10GB file, which is over three times the size of the original 0.90GB VOB file.
So the minor increase in sharpness at the expense of the major increase in file size, makes this option impractical.

I am still confused as to why the original VOB is unstable when attempting to edit it in PD7, and why a (pre)rendering is necessary. And why the file won’t play in Media Player or the VLC Player. And why 2 separate conversion programs could not deal with this file.

But, the workaround suggested by McLean and James worked perfectly! And that will be the method I employ. Thanks again M & J.
And thanks to Tony for chiming in with some support. Much appreciated.

-CP-

By the way, as some of you may know, James and his lovely bride were recently wed.
A rare photo of their wedding cake can be found here...

http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/594/the-wedding-cake/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 30. 2009 03:14

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Glad that it worked. Please note that not every .VOB file will react the way that this/these ones did. So I wouldn't automatically convert. I would give it a go with the original and only convert when I had to.

Thanks for letting us know what happened. I think it was Bartells & James for the wine. :)
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Cranston. My wife will love it. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT