Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can PD 9 & PD 10 Coexist ?
otown [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2011 10:00 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD 9 and am happy with the product. I'm interested in trying out PD 10 but don't want to lose PD 9 during the 30 day free period. So I has thinking I would try the full PD 10 version for 30 days and then remove it and either stay with PD 9 or upgrade tp PD 10 at that time. I understand if I download the upgrade version of PD 10 then I lose PD 9.

So can this be done?

thx
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
PD10 & 9 can exist on the same machine. You do not have to uninstall PD9 to try PD10. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Robert,

Do you current have both the full (not trial) PD10 and PD9 residing together on your computer? Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
I have both full PD9 and full PD10 installed and working on my computer. I haven't tried Full PD9 and Trial PD10 though. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
How did you go about installing? Either way I go, when I try to install the other, a pop-up says it has detected PD on my computer, and asks if I want Cyberlink to delete/uninstall it. Should I just click... no?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 17. 2011 08:12

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Robert2 S
[Post New]
I think got that message when I upgraded from PD8 to PD9 but not to 10.

I just double clicked the downloaded installation file and content packs, no messages and it left PD9 alone and installed PD10.

Sorry I can't be any help, I would say click "no"....it will either work or not work I suppose. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Cranston
[Post New]
Thanks. I'll just try it again I guess. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Cranston
[Post New]
OK. Solved it.

What happened was that the installation of PD10 caused the removal of my PD9 desktop icon.
So I assumed that PD9 had been overwritten or removed, because it's desktop icon had disappeared.
But when I go to... Start > All Programs, there PD9 is, in all it's glory, and opens fine.

I just simply needed to right click to create a new PD9 desktop icon.
And now I'm back in business, with "PD9" and "PD9 And a Half", both comfortably residing on my rig.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2011 08:58

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
otown [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2011 10:00 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
Okay, so the answer seems to be Yes. Download the full trial and they will work together.

Another question, what does this
"H.264 encode only on Windows 7 OS or specifc hardware "
mean....from the trial restrictions page?

thx
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: OK. Solved it.

What happened was that the installation of PD10 caused the removal of my PD9 desktop icon.
So I assumed that PD9 had been overwritten or removed, because it's desktop icon had disappeared.
But when I go to... Start > All Programs, there PD9 is, in all it's glory, and opens fine.

I just simply needed to right click to create a new PD9 desktop icon.
And now I'm back in business, with "PD9" and "PD9 And a Half", both comfortably residing on my rig.

Great! That's a very useful report, Cranston - because there was some question about the two versions co-existing. I'm much relieved to know they can. Thanks for the post.

RB
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Can PD 9 & PD 10 Coexist ? NO... for me...

However on mine, installed the update... said it saw the "other" PD version..... did not ask to uninstall or anything.... installed... and my PD9 is GONE... files.... folders... everything... except some of the useless files that was in my USER folder under PD9.

Not that I will miss it I guess.... or that it "really" matters either way... All my particle changes and stuff is still saved in my Cyberlink crap folder....

otown...

All you have to do to get PD9 back would be to uninstall 10 and put 9 back... The trial did not delete my PD9, the upgrade to PD10 did....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2011 23:58

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Be careful folks..there are at least 2 versions (different prefixes) of the download files and the effect may be different for the variations:
1. CyberLink_PDR10_Ultra_1005.....
2. CyberLink_PDR10NR_toUltra_1005 for Non-retail (or CyberLink_PDR10R_toUltra_1005 if Retail)

I think the variation occurred based on WHEN you downloaded...early release or later in the week... and that initial downloaders got the FULL version not the UPGRADE file. That is just a guess.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 18. 2011 00:21

rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
---oh--so, not so safe to assume one's PD9 will not go >poof<-- I'll do what I usually do - wait for around 6 months for the smoke to clear on a new release, and only jump in then if it really seems OK.

RB
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: 3. I can't find the other name, but I have seen it here (on an orderpage that someone pasted into a post).

Bubba, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19491.page CyberLink_PDR10R_toUltra_1005.....

Again, most likely R > Retail, NR > non Retail, nothing > not a upgrade purchase

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2011 00:20

[Post New]
Redundant post..removed by author

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 18. 2011 01:07

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Yep... the PD10R to Ultra was the one they gave me for the PD9 to PD10 ultra upgrade.....

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link