Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Multi Monitor Support
JON [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2007 01:04 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
I have 3 monitors. It would be nice to be able to stretch my PowerDirector session beyond just one monitor. The timeline is way too claustrophobic in one.
st-clares [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 27, 2006 17:54 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
I am not sure what you mean by claustrophobic.
You can stretch the timeline as much as you want by dragging it to the right. John
JON [Avatar]
[Post New]
I want to be able to span my PowerDirector session beyond one screen, preferably, 3 screens.
st-clares [Avatar]
[Post New]
What advantage would that give over stretching the timeline? John
JON [Avatar]
[Post New]
If I'm editing a 4 minute span of my timeline within, say, a 1 Hr video, with one screen the 4 minute span is pretty tight within one monitor, approx. 1 inch per minute. If I could span my session to 3 screens, I would have a wopping 3 inches per minute. I frequently need to zoom in on my timeline and cut, paste etc... If I could span my timeline to 3 screens, instead of a 15" timeline, I would have have a 45" timeline. I would be doing alot less scrolling and zooming.

Am I not explaining this correctly. I would like to take advantage of multiple monitors so I can triple my work space. Currently, the app does not allow expanding the session beyond the size of one monitor, like all other windows apps.
st-clares [Avatar]
[Post New]
JOHN
If you drag the top of the timelime you can expand it as much as you like.
I suspect you cannot see the bottom of the PD screen because it is hidden by the system tray.
Place your mouse arrow over the top edge of the system tray until a double headed arrow shows and drag it down. To reverse this action just drag it up.
I have just put a 16 sec clip on to the timeline and expanded it to 17 screen widths. John
JON [Avatar]
[Post New]
System Tray?
st-clares [Avatar]
[Post New]
The bottom edge of your screen which has "Start", Open Windows,Clock etc.
Put your mouse arrow over the join between the open window and System tray until you see a line with an arrow on each end and drag it down and then you can see the long narrow icon on the bottom left hand side of the screen and drag it to the right to move the window to the left. John
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Task bar, Quick Links - it's given various names....

PowerDirector 6 is a single monitor User Interface Video Editing program. It does not have floating sections within the UI and can not be stretched across multiple monitors.

While I do use a multiple monitor display when video editing it is not essential or necessary when using PowerDirector. I often use one monitor for PD with the spare capacity used to display additional editing tools - audio and image editor as well as looking and displaying PC content.

Dafydd
JON [Avatar]
[Post New]
Note to Product Team:

Add Multiple Monitor support to the next upgrade.

All other video editing software on the planet supports multiple monitors.
All other applications on the planet support multiple monitors.

Whether this is essential or necessary is up to the customer. This is simply a request, a suggestion. Why would you limit the width of an application?

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've had to smile at your question.

I understand your desire to spread out PD but it isn't exactly necessary or beneficial to the present User Interface. None of the parts of the UI are independent so stretching a display is wakky unless you have also an indie scaleable and changeable UI.

There is a place to request a feature:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/1773.page

The request isn't new - I've mentioned it a few times over the years and would welcome your Feedback posting where I've indicated.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
JON [Avatar]
[Post New]
From KB( http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=6054&prodId=6&prodVerId=219 )
"Why can't I adjust the boundary of my workspace in PowerDirector 7?
If your screen resolution is set to 1024x768, CyberLink PowerDirector 7 cannot be resized to focus on the timeline, preview window, or library. Please increase your screen resolution to avoid such problems."

This is closer to what I'm asking. I don't think my original request was understood. If I have a 5 minute video with lots of stuff going on in the timeline, i.e., pip, fades, effects, sound etc... with one monitor, there is too much zooming in and out necessary and when I select an audio track the timeline focus takes me to the begining of the track. This is frustrating.

PowerDirector is limited with respect to the size of it's "window". It can only be as wide as a single monitor. Please tell me that this is not true and that there is something that I can do to make it happen.

If I could "stretch" my PowerDirector" window across all 3 of my monitors, the timeline would essentially be 45"+ wide!!!! This would minimize zooming while I'm editing.

FYI: In resoponse to the advice in the Knowledge Base article: My monitor setting is 1280 by 1024 and I
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jon,

Your original posting made over a year ago was clearly understood. There is nothing new to add to the previous answer given or to the FAQ.

What I have asked for from CyberLink is independent sections of the User Interface which can be repositioned into another monitor.

Stretching a whole User Interface across two or three monitors is not something I want - done that and it ain't particularily brilliant.

Dafydd

JON [Avatar]
[Post New]
I still think you don't understand. If you have Picasa for instance, you can span monitors with it's interface. This allows you to take advantage of your entire desktop across multiple monitors. Ex: Instead of 30 thumbnails, you could see 90 etc...

My timeline is now limited to the width of my screen/window/interface. I want it the width of multiple monitors.

Can someone else help me describe this more clearly?

I don't want "independent sections of the User Interface which can be repositioned into anther monitor". I don't even know what you are talking about there.

I want PowerDirector to not care that I have three monitors and just treat my desktop as the combined space of 3 monitors or 2 or 10, whatever. I can do this with all my other apps. Notepad even. I span monitors all the time using all other apps. My feeling is that it does span monitors and I've got some setting incorrect.
JON [Avatar]
[Post New]
FYI: In resoponse to the advice in the Knowledge Base article: My monitor setting is 1280 by 1024 and I still can't adjust the boundry of my workspace beyond the width of one monitor. This is the same size as when the window is maximized.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't want "independent sections of the User Interface which can be repositioned into anther monitor". I don't even know what you are talking about there.

Really?

Try separate windows for each function.

Bye.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 25. 2008 15:08