Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to Maximize Video Quality for Posting on YouTube
[Post New]
Greetings,

I am just wondering as to the highest quality production methodology for outputting a video that is to be uploaded on to youtube and other related video sharing websites. As is known there are a number of differing video formats to choose from under the "Produce" tab (.AVI, .mpeg-1, .mpeg-2, .mpeg-4, .H264AVC, .wmv, .mov). Typically however, I choose to upload the video directly to youtube under the designated option, where I set it to Full HD Quality @ 1920x1080.

While the quality isn't bad when uploaded on youtube, I am sure of there being more room for audio/video quality augmentation.

So, am I better off uploading through the referenced video file formats (.avi, .mov, etc.), whereby I would upload the video directly to my hard drive first, and then upload to youtube ? Or is it fine with the method I have been using all along, which is uploading it directly to youtube in 1920x1080 Full HD quality from Cyberlink PD9 ?

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrew -

PD's YouTube upload profiles are all WMV. The FULL HD profile you've been using is 1920x1080 with a bitrate of 10MBps. WMV is used because it's highly compressed & results in lower file size & (usually) better streaming. If file size is an important factor to you, WMV is a good option.

One of the advantages of the YouTube uploader in PD is the connection with DirectorZone, where your videos can be displayed too.

Most YouTube (& other video sites) users would suggest making a short video (say 30 seconds) & producing in a number of different formats. Upload these to your channel & see what looks best to you.

Of course, YouTube processes uploads anyway... but the general rule of thumb in retaining quality is to produce to the SAME format & profile as the original clips. e.g. my camera gives me 1920x1080 .mts files @ 24MBps. For home use, that's my preferred production profile. For YouTube, I'd usually drop the bitrate to keep file size under control.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Robert from Oz seems to regularly post excellent quality videos to YouTube.

Here's a link to some of his videos, and his "save" settings before he uploads.

All in this thread -> http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16758.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 20. 2011 08:34

Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder