Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Got new PC. How do I get PD9 over to it now?
max0331 [Avatar]
Member Location: Iowa Joined: Dec 29, 2010 13:58 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
Got the new PC today. Got Quicktime installed, all the windows updates done, now I need to download PD9 onto this PC. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks for anyones help in advance.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Have you purchased and downloaded PD9 before? If so, copy program onto a CD and re-install from there OR if you do not have a copy contact customer support witb your order number/receipt number.

If you haven't purchased PD9, go to home page and purchase the product and follow the instructions.

Hope this helps

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 05. 2011 19:54

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your response Cubby!

Yes, I've been using PD9 since last year now.

So what folder do I need to burn to a CD to transfer the file? Do I only need to copy the .exe file? I'll give that a shot first unless someone knows what I should copy. Thanks!
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Max,

You will have to use the original installation files that you downloaded from Cyberlink. There should be at a minimum, 2 files. The program installation file and the contents installation file.

You cannot copy the program from one computer to another. It has to be installed on the new computer from the installation files.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I will give this a try. Thank you very much for your help. If I can't make this work, I'll have to ask cyberlink if they will give me a new link that I can download from.
max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
How do I find the installation files? I've copied the cyberlink folder and I now have it on my new PC, however, I can't find the installation file at all. Can someone help me out please?
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Max, just to make it clear you need the ORIGINAL installation files, NOT the Cyberlink folder where PD is.

If you bought the download version you need the ORIGINAL files you downloaded when your first installed PD.

When you finally get this worked out I would suggest you burn the ORIGINAL files to a DVD with the serial number added in a text file. This will give you a back up of your installation files. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just so I'm clear, because I believe I have them, but where do I locate the original files that I downloaded? Yes, I got the downloaded version. I downloaded everything to the default location.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi max,

The problem is the download location is different for each person as you can set to download files to anywhere on your computer.

If you know they are on your computer somewhere, I would click on "My computer" and do a search for Cyberlink.

The original installation file should be around 250mb and the content pack about 700mb.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 08. 2011 00:43

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
unfortunatly, searching for "Cyberlink" returns countless ammounts of files. I can't seem to find anything that resembles what the installation file might be. Perhaps if someone knows the actual name of this file, the file type, or something a little more specific.

Please forgive me, messing with files like this is a bit over my head evidently. Is this my only option? Could I download the trial version off the internet and then plug in my key code to "unlock" it?

Am just a bit frusterated here, please have patience with me on helping me try to figure this out.
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Downloading the trial will not work, you need the original download and serial number.

Sorry but you may just have to go through the files looking for one around 250mb and one around 700mb.

I don't know the name of my original installation file but my content pack starts with "CyberLink_ContentPack" My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi max0331,

Just a thought. Might not help, but...
On my rig, my “Original” PD9 download, went/saved to (or defaulted to)...
Start > My Computer > C Drive > Downloads > Software
You might check to see if that is where your original Program and Content Pack went as well.
Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Perhaps if someone knows the actual name of this file, the file type, or something a little more specific.

Hi Max

Hope this helps too:-

One is called PDR9_Ultra64 (which is the exe file) and the other is called Cyberlink.1519_contentPac_.

Use Windows 'Search programs and files' to find where you downloaded it to.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
To avoid this sort of a problem, I try to keep all my crucial downloads as organised as possible. Your installation files should look something like those in PD9_2 image below.

Cheers
Adrian
[Thumb - PD9_2.PNG]
 Filename
PD9_2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
PD9 downloads
 Filesize
102 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
283 time(s)
[Thumb - PD9_1.PNG]
 Filename
PD9_1.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
All PD downloads
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
266 time(s)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
This should be a lesson for all and I see this more and more as we have migrated from DOS.

Maybe even a sticky.

The first thing you want to do after downloading the installation and upgrade files is to burn them to a disk or Thumb Drive immediately for safe keeping. Then create a directory on you computer like:"PD9 Backup Installation" and put the files there also.

I see this too much as windows seems to take file management skills away from people. With DOS we had to know file management and directory organization to do almost anything. Windows was just a graphic shell so people could launch programs easier.

Everyone knows I'm over 40 now.

Enjoy that new computer Max!!!

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Apr 08. 2011 08:11

Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Max,

I am probably posting to this thread late, but just in case you have not resolved the issue, be assured that the original files these guys are referring to are on your computer. If you double click on Adrian's download, you will see two blue images that look like they contain an arrow pointed down and to the right. That is what you are searching for. Try a search for PDR9 and look for the earliest dates.

In addition to the other information you have been given, these files show a date and say "ControlPack" or "Ultra64". You need both files.

If you wonder why Adrian's blue images have earlier dates than his folder, it is probably because the images you can see are when he downloaded the original Beta versions in 2010. The ones he now uses are probably in the folder, which you can't see. This does not matter. Those images are associated with the two files, containing the same image on your computer, which you need.

Choose the images that are the appropriate size and have the earliest dates and say PDR9. Those will be the files you want. Copy both to your new computer, then double click on them. Activate the Ultra64 file first. If that doesn't work, ask the forum for more help. This is better than trying to get a new download, which you do not need, unless you have lost your activation key.

Do not be embarrassed to ask for help. There is no reason for you to be thwarted in this. Everyone on the forum has had to go through the same learning process as you and they are all willing to help.

I hope this makes sense, if you have not already solved the problem.

Regards,

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dave, I'm not too far from 40 myself and remember working with DOS. File management skills for me are fine. I've been working with computers for over 25 years. Having said that, I blame my issue on pure laziness when I first downloaded PD9. I had the link to download from when I first bought PD9 saved, mistakenly thinking that I could just click the link again when I got a new computer, download the file, install, then plug the key code in to activate it, which is why I didn't bother to pay more attention to the download and installation process thus putting me in this position.

Yes, I've gotten lazy by letting Windows do all the "thinking" for me when installing a program, but I guess that is the price I will pay for relying on technology so much. I have no desire to go back to a DOS based OS where you actually had to know a little something about how a computer works to run one.

Pax, thank you for your reply. Your post is not late at all. I tried searching the file names that where previously suggested to no avail. I will try your suggestions when I get home tonight. I'm fairly sure I've searched just about every combination of your suggestions that are possible, but I will continue to try. If they are on there, I will find them eventually.

I do have a question about that though. If, for whatever reason (refer to my comment to Dave in this post), I clicked "OPEN" rather than "SAVE" when given the option upon downloading PD9 the first time, is it possible that the .exe files I need were simply saved to a Temp Folder and then deleted once that folder was emptied?

I've been able to find and open the wave editor and the picture editor that comes with it (forgot their names and not at home to be able to look) but still no installation files for PD9. I did open a ticket with Cyberlink requesting their assistance in this matter. I'll give your suggestions a try tonight Pax and let you know via this thread if I was successful or not.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to try to help me out. I've been involved in many forums over the years and this is easily the most helpful and respectful forum yet. Thank you all!
Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
Max your browser may have a setting in place for where downloaded files automatically go if you did not specify a location yourself. Check your browser setting.

In win-7 maybe the "download" folder under your user name on C drive.

It could have also ended up in your browser cache or as you say windows temp files for IE.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2011 09:42

max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Old PC, where I'm currently looking for the file is Windows Vista 64. My cache and temp files get cleared almost daily, so if this is where it was saved, its gone. Thanks for the suggestion, I will at least give it a shot. There are only 3 items in my "download" folder, none of which are PD9. Like I said earlier, I usually "open" a file instead of "save" a file when downloading a program. This will not be the case moving forward though.

Thank you for your suggestion Dave!
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Max: Another old DOS codger chiming in. We've come a long way since DOS 2.0, haven't we?

I always make it a habit to download program files to my DOWNLOADS folder; then, after the program is installed, I move the files from the Downloads folder to the root folder of the program that just installed. Then weekly, me and Acronis, backup the system and validate (always keeping 3 versions of the system backup in case something corrupted the most recent version), plus I always place a copy of the original download files on a 250 ZIP drive (old technology I know, but I have a whack of them and had my ZIP 250 drive transferred to my new custom computer).

To show you how anal-retentive I am, I then use Notepad to create a .txt file with the licence key, which is also stored in the root program folder and on the ZIP 250. It is much cheaper (I am a Scot by descent) than paying for "Extended Download Privileges" for a year. Haven't lost anything yet.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil