Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HELP!!! Why does my PD9 Keep crashing!!! A Black Box Appears...
bestbass42
Member Location: Wolverhampton,England. Joined: Apr 01, 2011 10:22 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
HELP-HELP-HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive recently downloaded POWER DIRECTOR 9 after previously using Windows Live Movie Maker for all my youtube videos. WLMM was brilliant-really easy to use but when doing serious editing it sometimes crashed or a yellow triangle appeared on clips saying they were 'corrupted' which ment deleting everything & starting over again.So ive paid & downloaded PD9 after it has come out on top in many reviews.Unfourtanatly im finding it incredibly hard to use & suss out-its WAY MORE complecated than WLMM!!!!!!!!! Im hopping trial & error will guide me through,the trouble is i carnt even get that far because within a few minuets of doing anything(such as Magic Movie Wizard) a ''BLACK BOX WITH WHITE WRITTING'' appears with an 'ABORT' message inside it.Its only on the screen for a couple of seconds before it-AND PD9 dissapears off the screen!!!!-so carnt even read it!!! This is really annoying!!! Ive only had the thing 2 days and already im regreting buying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im using a Sony Viao laptop with Windows 7 & intel core 2.Im NOT a computer geek so please any replies please make them AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE!!!
Thanks for your time. Cyberlink PowerDirector12 Ultra 64bit.

Alienware 18, 4th Gen intel Core i7, Windows 8.1

Apple iMac G5, 9 Years old & slow as a snail!!!

Sony HDR-CX360VE

Sony Cyber-Shot DSCW200.

Nikon D750.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX FQ360.
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi FC01,

first; I am not quite the person to help with tech-questions, but I see/hear/read your despair, and so I
just wanted you to know that you are heard.
I would have liked to be able to give you the fix for this right away, but I'm afraid it's not that simple.
Video-editing demands a lot from your pc. It will be a question if your pc at all will be capable to
handle PD9. There will be a question about graphic-card, memory and size of harddrive to begin with.

To help people, the forum usually ask for your dxdiag.
To create a diagnostic file, open the Command Prompt, type in dxdiag. You will find "a document" popping up.
Save this (desktop or in documents)- and attach to your next post.

I am not at all familiar with Sony computers.
However, since I'm a teacher, I have been using the old WMM for XP a lot with students.
A quick look at WLMM tells me this is more or less the same, just fits Win7.
PD9 is something quite different from the application (WLMM) you have been using.
You will be able to produce more complex videos, but you will have to consider there will be
a learning-curve.

That being said, you certainly have the option of making "magic movies" -
but then again, people in here will have to have a look-see if your pc is up to it.

Hang in there-
and see if any of the tech-guys chime in. :

Nina

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Try making something and not use the magic movie maker and see what happens. Not very many of us use the magic movie maker and do all our own editing. There are lots of reasons I do not use it.

Did you download and install BOTH program files? With PD9 make sure all your video drivers and codecs are up to date. There are things we need to know in order to help you. Just saying a black box appears and it crashes does not help us at all.

With the problems you had with WMM, sounds like out dated drivers and codecs at the very least....

Look here for the things we need to help you.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
bestbass42
Member Location: Wolverhampton,England. Joined: Apr 01, 2011 10:22 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Try making something and not use the magic movie maker and see what happens. Not very many of us use the magic movie maker and do all our own editing. There are lots of reasons I do not use it.

Did you download and install BOTH program files? With PD9 make sure all your video drivers and codecs are up to date. There are things we need to know in order to help you. Just saying a black box appears and it crashes does not help us at all.

With the problems you had with WMM, sounds like out dated drivers and codecs at the very least....

Look here for the things we need to help you.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page

Thank you for the reply.

On WLMM the trouble started with the recently updated WLMM,the one which now analizes each video clip you put into it while making a video.I never had any trouble whatsoever with the old one & infact the quality of the videos after is exactly the same,so why Microsoft have gone & messed around with it i dont know!!! Also since WLMM has been this way it takes AGES for the finnished videos to upload onto youtube,before it used to take no more than 1hour,now it takes upto 6 or 7!!! Looking at the Microsoft forums this seems to be a come problem as does the crashing.
In answer to your Q,yes i did download both program files of PD9.My PC is quite a high end Sony Viao & only around 1 year old.It hasnt got loads of downloaded stuff on it & is only used really for facebook, itunes & youtube.

While im here can someone tell me how when im making a video on PD9 i can add music so as im doing the video so i can see if the clip fits to that particular piece of music thats playing at the time(like on WLMM).I Carnt find an 'add music' button anywhere??? The only one ive found is changing the music in the DVD menu/start from piano to one of your own choice,nothing for the actual video itself???

Also,when first entering the 'edit page' there are 6 little pictures with a castle, flowers, lake etc, what are these pictures used for ?????????????????????????????????? And can someone please tell me how do you put a title on at the begining??? I Just carnt work it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WLMM is so EASY to use,im thinking you need an IQ of 500+ to sus this lot out without being shown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cyberlink PowerDirector12 Ultra 64bit.

Sony HDR-CX360VE

Sony Cyber-Shot DSCW200.

Nikon D750.

bestbass42
[Post New]
Quote: Hi FC01,

first; I am not quite the person to help with tech-questions, but I see/hear/read your despair, and so I
just wanted you to know that you are heard.
I would have liked to be able to give you the fix for this right away, but I'm afraid it's not that simple.
Video-editing demands a lot from your pc. It will be a question if your pc at all will be capable to
handle PD9. There will be a question about graphic-card, memory and size of harddrive to begin with.

To help people, the forum usually ask for your dxdiag.
To create a diagnostic file, open the Command Prompt, type in dxdiag. You will find "a document" popping up.
Save this (desktop or in documents)- and attach to your next post.

I am not at all familiar with Sony computers.
However, since I'm a teacher, I have been using the old WMM for XP a lot with students.
A quick look at WLMM tells me this is more or less the same, just fits Win7.
PD9 is something quite different from the application (WLMM) you have been using.
You will be able to produce more complex videos, but you will have to consider there will be
a learning-curve.

That being said, you certainly have the option of making "magic movies" -
but then again, people in here will have to have a look-see if your pc is up to it.

Hang in there-
and see if any of the tech-guys chime in. :

Nina

Thank you for the reply.

I Have just done a DxDiag check & no problems were found on 32bit or 64bit. I Have saved the report onto my desktop but not sure how to insert into this email but will have a go!!!
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
334 time(s)
Cyberlink PowerDirector12 Ultra 64bit.

Sony HDR-CX360VE

Sony Cyber-Shot DSCW200.

Nikon D750.

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again,

try and go here. You will find tutorials for most things.
When a toot says PD8, it may also apply to PD9.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=PDtoots#grid/uploads

Basics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ritZCsHV3hI&feature=youtube_gdata

I'm just continuing this post:

It seems your video drivers are "old". (In this tech-world, anything more than a year is old)
It also seems that you will have to go to Sony supportsite to get your drivers updated.
Still, integrated Intel graphics card (with only 128 MB dedicated video memory) will most probably struggle.
(This might have something to do with your trouble after the recently updated WLMM)
Also; The source video...is it High Definition?
The bigger/larger source-clip, the more power your pc needs.

If you get your drivers updated, you might find WLMM will work better again, depending on
what your camera produces of source-clips.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 01. 2011 14:22

Just something.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
FC01: I thnk that you should take Nina's advice and devote some time to the PD9 tutorials on the DirectorZone website and also the PDToots channel on YouTube. The learning curve for PD9 is rather staggering. There is so much to learn and all of us are still learning. I guarantee that it will be time well spent.

I think your computer is marginal for PD9 and that may be the source of crashes. If PD9 asks too much of your computer, then your computer just bombs.

Creating titles is very easy - there is an entire title room in PD9 and lots more for download from DirectorZone.

The clips that load when PD9 does, are sample clips. You can stop them from loading by deselecting that option in Preferences.

Hope this helps a little. Happy PowerDirecting!

Regards,
-Phil
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Power Director 9 is a whole new animal compared to all previous versions of Power Director. It looks the same, feels the same, and smells the same.... but it isn't.

No one likes to be told that their computer does not have enough horsepower to run certain software. Not to mention that laptops have very limited upgrade capability. I do not know if you looked at the minimum requirements were for PD9 before you got it. One thing I do not like about the requirements page is the fact that they only give you a list of some recommended video cards. They should say minimum 500 meg memory required on your video card. Up until two months ago I only had 500 meg on my video card and I had no major issues with PD9. I have since then upgraded, not because of PD9 but something else.

What we have found out in reality in here is that when it comes to video cards, people with less than 500 meg memory on their video cards have editing and rendering issues. Video editing is the most strenuous thing you can do on your computer. Those super games are nothing in comparison.

Looking at your system specs and because the thing you need to upgrade (video card) which after searching you model and some Sony forums, I did not see that it could be upgraded.

I have sent you a PM, please check your Private Message box. The button is above next to your log in name.

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Paul Bunion [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2009 19:17 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I posted a reply here. I received an e-mail telling me that it had been answered. I clicked on the link neither my original post nor the answer is here.

I can only assume that the Cyberlink powers deleted both of them because they refuse to admit that their program is not working properly.
1Nina
[Post New]
Paul,

Did you have a post in this thread
that's not here?
Just something.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Paul: I can only assume that your post was very critical of PD9, which, from what I understand, is not permitted on this forum. There are thousands of happy PD9 users, including me. In FC01's case, the problem is not PD9, it is that her computer does not have the horsepower to use it. As Bubba recently pointed out in another post, people rant against PD9 because they won't accept that video editing is very resource-intensive, and you must make sure that your computer meets the minimum specifications. No one likes being told their computer is underpowered, as Bubba pointed out in this thread. For the price, PD9 is the best video editing app out there.

If you are unhappy with PD9 for some reason, or there is an issue that you need help with, the pros here will help you, but they probably won't be too inclined to help if all you want to do is trash PD9. It is a great product with a few "eccentricities", as have all products. Start a new topic and tell us your problem and we'll all try to help. If you're unhappy with PD9, purchase another product if you don't want our help.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
bestbass42
[Post New]
Thanks to everyone whos taken the time to write a reply!!! As i new user of PD9 i certainly dont want to come on here & slag the product off until ive at least spent a few months trying to work out how to use it!!! However if people DO have problems with this or any product surly they are entitled to come on this or any other forum in a 'FREE SPEAKING WORLD' & give their opinion???-or is this forum based in China/Russia where everything is censored???

I Have taken into account what everyone has said-very helpfull-THANKS AGAIN! I Will post again after a few days use to see if the problems is still there or not. Cyberlink PowerDirector12 Ultra 64bit.

Sony HDR-CX360VE

Sony Cyber-Shot DSCW200.

Nikon D750.

Paul Bunion [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Paul: I can only assume that your post was very critical of PD9, which, from what I understand, is not permitted on this forum. There are thousands of happy PD9 users, including me. In FC01's case, the problem is not PD9, it is that her computer does not have the horsepower to use it. As Bubba recently pointed out in another post, people rant against PD9 because they won't accept that video editing is very resource-intensive, and you must make sure that your computer meets the minimum specifications. No one likes being told their computer is underpowered, as Bubba pointed out in this thread. For the price, PD9 is the best video editing app out there.

If you are unhappy with PD9 for some reason, or there is an issue that you need help with, the pros here will help you, but they probably won't be too inclined to help if all you want to do is trash PD9. It is a great product with a few "eccentricities", as have all products. Start a new topic and tell us your problem and we'll all try to help. If you're unhappy with PD9, purchase another product if you don't want our help.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

The problem with the "pros" here is that none of them know much. They don't take the time to read the problem, they just send out the nearest canned response they can lay their hands on.

Yes I am critical of Cyberlink and their products. I just purchased Sony Vegas Pro. I am sick of PowerDirector always crashing in the middle of a doing something. Crashing over and over and over. I'm out of here. Good luck to all of you. I sure hope Cyberlink reconsiders their philosophy of selling junk and hiring burger flippers to work in customer service.
Bubba in TX
[Post New]
Paul...

I found several of your posts, including the ones you posted in the PD8 forums. All were about customer support. Am I correct? I am actually surprised myself that a couple of them are still there.

The only problem is that the "pros here" cannot help you with your customer support rant problems. We do agree that CL customer support is not the best not even in the top 50 or so. But other than billing and some download issues, we have a great solve rate as there are many very competent and long time PD users in here. Each has their own expertise. Some are into the HD and some not. Some just like to make slide shows using still shots and have been doing so for years.

And you are incorrect in your comment about it being a free world. Not in any forum I ever been a member of. I have been deleted plenty of times. When you are in a company owned forum they control whats said in here. When you piss them off, you should not be surprised when all your "stuff" is gone.

I am not too sure now that you even want to resolve whatever issues you have with PD9.

We are truly sorry that you are having issues that you do not seem to be able to get resolved. However myself and thousands of others are and have been quite happy with PD for years.

WednesfieldGirls... just hang in there. But I am not into the HD end of Power Director. I am still a 4:3 720 dpi slide show sorta guy...... I never have any major problems.

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link
Paul Bunion [Avatar]
[Post New]
I paid the price for upgrading to v9 in the hope that finally Cyberlink might have fixed the crashing problem. I was disappointed to find out that it was not fixed. In addition they created new problems such as the failure of the program to save the setting if a video clip was set to muted. That was finally fixed in the latest change. I had to post that one over and over before anybody really looked to see if I was right.

I asked Cyberlink to refund the money I paid for the update. They refused. I just purchased Sony Vegas Pro. I will not be using PowerDirector. I still think I should get my money back.
Bubba in TX
[Post New]
Actually... I agree... should be simple enough to refund money and cancel software registration keys. (especially on downloaded software)

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link
bestbass42
[Post New]
OK,I Have now uploaded a very short video onto youtube showing whats happening. If anyone can help me through this problem i'd be most gratefull.Thank You!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k12RiT5IeW8 Cyberlink PowerDirector12 Ultra 64bit.

Sony HDR-CX360VE

Sony Cyber-Shot DSCW200.

Nikon D750.

1Nina
[Post New]
Hi,

can you possibly upload as attachment a (the) screenshot
of "the black box" ?

Good illustration on YT!
Just something.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
WednesfieldGirlsFC01, didn't i read somewhere in one of your previous posts that Windows Movie maker was also crashing on your computer. The reason I ask usually a black dos box like you have shown is usually created by a windows problem not a PD problem.

Paul if you think paying $800 Australian is going to solve your video editing problems, I don't think you have been around computers very long. They all have their problems PD included, although as I have said before, most of the problems are the peoples computers not PD. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
bestbass42
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

can you possibly upload as attachment a (the) screenshot
of "the black box" ?

Good illustration on YT!

Thank you! I Have uploaded screenshot although not sure it'll be big enough for you to read. I Will type down everything in the box & put it in a post later.
[Thumb - Snapshot 1 (02-04-2011 11-18).png]
 Filename
Snapshot 1 (02-04-2011 11-18).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
68 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
275 time(s)
Cyberlink PowerDirector12 Ultra 64bit.

Sony HDR-CX360VE

Sony Cyber-Shot DSCW200.

Nikon D750.