Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fade Effect on image in reverse...?
holycrip [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2011 21:34 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
This may be a silly question, but I think it's a real problem (at least for me).

I apply a Fade transition to an image file on the timeline. Normally, when I place the fade to the left, the fade works as a fade-in, and when I place it on the right it works as a fade-out (pretty intuitive).

Right now I'm dealing with a case where the fade on the left on the image on the timeline is causing a fade-out (so it starts at 0% transparency and works to 100% transparency). This cause my image (used as a lower-third) to suddenly appear, fade out, and then pop back in at the end of the transition duration.

I can't seem to find a way to edit the effect. Now, I think I can get around this with the image by modifying the transparency with keyframes another way, but the Title effect that sits on a level below the image (the text for the lower third) really needs to make use of the fade -- which was an easy way to do it.

Please help!!

Thanks.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Can you post a screenshot of your edit screen? I wasn't able to duplicate the issue. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Holycrip,
The reason for your fades being revrsed is not theem being reversed..when you dropped the fade onto timline if you placed it at the 'left' or beginning of the clip the fade in effect has run its course and the last section of the effect (fade out) is what is displayed.
If you highlight the effect and move it forward on the clip you will see both fade in fade out.
Jim
p.S Just guess at what is happening..the effect seem to snap either to end of clips or beginning you have to highlight them and drag them to a preffered position. Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
lpindar007
Newbie Location: Houston, TX Joined: May 01, 2011 19:34 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Holycrip,

I came across this post because I just ran into the same problem at the end of a fairly long project using approx 20 fades before I got this same exact problem. There is no "snap to" or moving the fades that does any good. The solution I found was to shut down PowerDirector, restart it, and reopen the project. Then I could place fades and have them work properly like they did the first 20 times. (which is the way they should work intuitively - why would you fade out right at the beginning of a clip??) Hope this post helps the next person who runs into this problem.
Olomoucky [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2012 16:09 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
This also is the only way I have found to resolve this issue. Is there not a fix yet? Or should I expect to continually have to close and restart PowerDirector in order to temporarily 'fix' the problem?
Quote: Hi Holycrip,

I came across this post because I just ran into the same problem at the end of a fairly long project using approx 20 fades before I got this same exact problem. There is no "snap to" or moving the fades that does any good. The solution I found was to shut down PowerDirector, restart it, and reopen the project. Then I could place fades and have them work properly like they did the first 20 times. (which is the way they should work intuitively - why would you fade out right at the beginning of a clip??) Hope this post helps the next person who runs into this problem.

Mark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2013 23:13 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem. It is June 2013 as I post and I have the latest PowerDirector version. That's a LONG time to have a bug hang around in software.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mark, Olomoucky and all -

This intermittent problem has been around for a while & is still with us in PD11. No-one has ever been able to work out why!

One "fix" (re-inserting the same transition) is posted here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/26944.page#146727

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I've also recently (last week) run across this issue. I don't know if this is significant but it seemed to occur when I inserted the transition with the timeline zoomed in and worked ok if I deleted it and zoomed out before re-inserting it. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Pedro369 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2015 05:17 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
It's now August 2015 and this bug is still about!? I've recently pourchased PowerDirector 13, and starting to wish I hadn't.

I'll try the shut down and restart, why I have to do this I have no idea... PowerDirector Deluxe 13 OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit
MB: Asrock FM2A78M-HD+ CPU: 3.40 GHz AMD A10-7700K APU RAM: Corsair 16GB (2X8GB)
DDR3 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GV-N760OC-2GD SSD: Adata 256GB SP900 Series
HDD: WD 4TB Red NAS 64MB Cache
Pedro369 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2015 05:17 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Yep, that did it. At least the same fix to the 4 1/2 year old bug stills works lol PowerDirector Deluxe 13 OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit
MB: Asrock FM2A78M-HD+ CPU: 3.40 GHz AMD A10-7700K APU RAM: Corsair 16GB (2X8GB)
DDR3 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GV-N760OC-2GD SSD: Adata 256GB SP900 Series
HDD: WD 4TB Red NAS 64MB Cache
kleppamaki [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2016 06:20 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought PD14 and the bug is still there!! And closing plus restarting still gets around it

Are the PD developers even aware of the problem or are we just complaining to each other here?
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Report it and they will be.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Looking back over the posts on this "Fade In/Out" problem, the 5th anniversary of the original post is this Wednesday, it's clear to me that Cyberlink would've been aware of it since PD10, but have apparently done nothing at all to remedy it, So here we are, 22nd February, 2006(Australian east coast time) and four versions further along and the same problem keeps resurfacing? Tsk, tsk! Shame, Cyberlink, shame! You should've nipped this one in the bud back in 2011!

Neil.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: here we are, 22nd February, 2006(Australian east coast time)

I always had a feeling you were living in the past laughing Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Report it and they will be.

CS

For those with the issue at least one or all of you need to report the issue to Cyberlink Support maybe starting 5 years ago and post what they propose to do to fix it. I can see that this issue might exist for another 5 years before someone get the courage to report it. This is a user forum not monitored by Cyberlink support. Users post here maybe to seek a workaround, maybe complain, maybe don't feel it really is a big issue.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: here we are, 22nd February, 2006(Australian east coast time)

I always had a feeling you were living in the past laughing

Ooooohhhh, Cheeky, Mike!!! Ha-ha! Oops, Now I know why you said that! Them nasty keyboard gremlins got me again... Ouch! That should've been 2016, not 2006!

This post has a starting date that goes way back to 24th February, 2011 but kleppamaki was the first to post a comment on it this year, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who's "living in the past!"

Cheers!

Neil.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2016 23:27

jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
Holycrip...

I didn't see a response from you about this. The workaround I use is simply save the project and then re-open. I've never needed to shutdown and restart PD.

The cause as I have found is by trimming clips that are before the transition, after placing the trans.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2016 16:49

CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Holycrip...
I didn't see a response from you about this.
I would not expect a response from holycrip. He has not answered anyone here in the last 5 years. laughing
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi all!

Three messages from Holycrip and not a peep out of him since! Was he ever there at all? Or was he just a phantom who briefly haunted the Director Zone forum? Ha-ha. As I write, it is 6.26am on 24th February, 2016, five years to the day since Holycrip posted that question which started this thread.

Cheers!

Neil.
ConnieZ [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Kenner, Louisiana Joined: May 24, 2017 14:06 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I experienced the same issue of the "Reverse Fade" and followed the suggestion of restarting the program, and voila! it worked. I have just reported to this issue to CyberLink support via there support portal. I told them that folks have been dealing with it since 2011.