Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Saving clips...
frankhanna [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Isle of Man Joined: Feb 19, 2011 12:42 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am sure I am being a bit slow here but can anyone give me some advice as to how to save clips in a current project?

I have split a video in a few places and rather than deleting one of the new clips I want to quickly save it for use in something else later. I have tried everything I know but it does not seem possible. I hope I am wrong. Can anyone help?
Frank Hanna
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Frank:

I am a newbie myself, but as far as I can tell, PD9 does not actually split the original source a/v file(s). It simply creates a project file which tell it which parts to use and what effects, transitions, etc., to apply. I think your best solution would be to copy your current project file with a new filename, open the copy, and remove everything but the clip you want, then produce that. Once produced, you can use the production file in any new project and you can discard the presumably larger original source file if it is no longer required.

There is probably a simpler way. I haven't yet had time to look into all of the Library Management features, but there probably are options in that direction as well. I am sure that the real experts on this forum will have much better ideas.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
frankhanna [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Isle of Man Joined: Feb 19, 2011 12:42 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Phil,

I guess that will do it. I will keep an eye open for any smarter solutions that come up...I am sure there must be some easier methods out there.

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to respond.

Frank Frank Hanna
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Frank,

Check out my post in this thread. I think it will help you do what you want.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15112.page#73078

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
recommend you save it either in AVI or at least the same format and bitrate as you intend to use in the future. Avoid compression since when imported to another project you wont be able to recover or improve the quality, e.g. dont save as lo-res wmv.

When doing multiple pass construction of multi-timeline work you may want to produce the clip and save the project. Now that new clip is part of your project. If you now clear the workspace and place the new clip plus other objects like music, and continue editing, save this workspace to a new .pds project - don't just Save Project or it overwrites the definitions of your last work. This way you can return to en earlier stage and redo steps.

for example:

Proj1.pds

then Proj2.pds including stuff from proj1 - saved and continue

later you return to Proj1 and see all the timeline(s) and objects which went into creating the produced result.
Maybe you will edit it again.

You end up with a historical set of projects like this

---Proj1------
. . . .. . . . . |-----proj2------- using clips from proj1
. . . . . . . . .|-----proj3------- using clips from proj1
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |---Proj4---- using clips from proj1 and proj2

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2011 14:01

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem