Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Build 2504 Hardware Video Encoder selected Produces poor quality WMV Full HD
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Build 2504

Just thought I would post this to see if anyone has seen this yet.

I have been producing video segments using m2ts(1920x1080) and 3680X2070 jpg files using the YouTube up-loader and selecting the Full HD 1920x1080 profile and selecting Hardware Video Encoder prior to producing. The resulting wmv file is full of blocky artifacts during transitions, (see attached screen shots)

When I deselect Hardware Video Encoder....the resulting video is perfect. I am pleased to see 60% activity in ATI's Catalyst Control Center showing the card is actually working, but the result is not very good.

1. Does anyone else have this result? I saw this issue early on in Beta testing, then corrected in later builds, now reappearing in this build. One step forward, then two steps back.
2. Is it specifically an ATI Graphic card problem? I believe it is not being used correctly by PD9..
3. Is the video artifact problem corrected when Hardware Video Encoder is deselected? It corrects it for me.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Kevin

[Thumb - Hardware Acceleration test.PNG]
 Filename
Hardware Acceleration test.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
with HA
 Filesize
1351 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
359 time(s)
[Thumb - NO hardware Acceleration test.PNG]
 Filename
NO hardware Acceleration test.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
without HA
 Filesize
1669 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
339 time(s)
 Filename
Kevin DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag 64-bit
 Filesize
51 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
442 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 10. 2011 07:54

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,

I've had to goto 'Preferences' and in 'Hardware Acceleration' deselect both the 'Enable AMD....' and 'Enable Hardware Decoding' due to the number of issues I've had with this build. They are:

1. PD repeatedly hanging (12 times yesterday) in the 'Edit' module when manipulating clips on the timeline;
2. PD failing to author a project to blu-ray folders 5 times where only 1% of the video needed to be re-encoded. When the progress counter got to the clip, the authoring progress hung on all 5 times - even after I pre-produced the clip to allow it to be SVRT compatible.

After turning off hardware acceleration I had no issues at all. This seems very similar to the problems stated here:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15175.page

where turning off hardware acceleration appeared to work. It may also explain why users are complaining of multiple hangs with this build.

We have noted with this build that now Catalyst is now showing activity (in the AMD Overdrive section) when GPU rendering is selected which is a step in the right direction!

I have provided Dafydd with a report on this build which includes my thoughts on this issue.

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
donbroadband
Member Location: Caldy, Wirral UK Joined: Aug 06, 2009 06:04 Messages: 119 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kevin Andrew, I have the ATI 4870 Graphics card - this crashed with the 2316 release of PD9, upgrading to V2330a seemed to work Ok. With irresponsible enthusiasm I again upfgraded to 2504 and I fear it failed rather too frequently during the edit process. I have now reinstalled the initial 2316 release, done the usual clean up and upgraded to 2330a again and it seems to be quite stable. I have hardware accelaration and AMD parralel processing selected using the V10.12 releases of the ATI products.
I am just about to start an 8Gb edit so I will see how it goes. I have to say this new version seems more fleet of foot than PD8 but I had hoped we would not have a repeat of the early days of PD8 again, especially after the Beta work carried out by you guys. It is still the best apackage around but we must seek perfection?

Regards Don Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
[Post New]
I will test this with NVIDIA and let you know what I see, later today. Checking both "Hardware acceleration" and 'Enable Hardware Decoding' has a SIGNIFICANT positive effect on rendering with my GTX465!

Might very well be that fixing Nvidia, broke ATI.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 10. 2011 12:24

Rob Z [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 17, 2010 20:41 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Since updating from version 2330a to 2504, I am unable to produce video files and to create Blu-ray disks (burn to folder) using AVCHD video files and ATI 10.12 drivers. The burning hangs up at various points after the creation of the disk menus (after 21%). Using AMD's Catalyst Control Center, I notice that the card activity drops down to zero when the burning hangs up. The problem occurs whether or not the enable hardware video encoder option in the final output box is selected. The card activity monitor in Catalyst Control Center indicates that the hardware video encoder is being used even if the enable hardware video encoder option is not selected. I did not experience this problem creating video files or burning disks to folders in version 2330a. However, the Catalyst Control Center card activity monitor rarely increases above 0% when the enable hardware video encoder option in the final output box is selected in version 2330a. Thus, it seems that there is a conflict with ATI Catalyst drivers and the 2504 update. I recommend that users of AMD graphics cards avoid the 2504 update until Cyberlink corrects this problem.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rob,

Everything you said seems right on the money. The only thing I haven't done with build 2504 is burn any discs (AVCHD or Blu-Ray). But the new build did increase my ATI card activity when producing a video file...but I haven't been happy with the artifacts that are presen in the final h.264 AVC 1920x1080 video. I have to turn OFF hardware encoding to get a nice clean video.

But if you are getting sketchy Disc production, then that is good advice to anyone reading. Have you been able to burn to folder successfully instead? Have you tried that? It is sometimes a good work a round. Create the folders then burn to disc with other software.

Some really good observations in your post though...it helps when others are experiencing similar results...even if they are bad results.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Rob Z [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can't produce anything with ver. 2504 even if I turn off hardware encoding in the final output box. I noticed that the Catalyst Control Center card activity monitor remains in the 5-7% range in ver. 2330a but averaged 50-70% in ver. 2504 until PD stopped producing the video file/burning to folder.
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rob,

You have to turn it off in 'Preferences' as well, as I described above.

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
Rob Z [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok! I might have to try that if I can gather the strength to install ver. 2504 again. I wasted too much time on it already! LOL

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15. 2011 20:52

Rob Z [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried burning a blu-ray disk to a folder using version 2504 with all the hardware acceleration options turned off in preferences and the final output box and it worked. In addition, the rendering time seems to be much faster turning off all hardware acceleration options in ver. 2504 than version 2330a with all the options turned on. Burning a blu-ray disk to a folder took 7:11 to complete a movie 8:45 in length with menus while ver. 2330a took 10:30 to complete the same task with hardware acceleration. It seems all the hype about hardware acceleration is actually worse using ATI graphics cards with PD 9.

The video quality also seems much better using ver. 2504 with hardware acceleration turned off. One video clip I have of a moving ferry is stuttering/ghosting when produced with ver. 2330a with hardware acceleration on but renders fine with ver. 2504 with hardware acceleration turned off.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 16. 2011 13:33