Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Patch 2504 has broken WMV HD Produce function
paulbid [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2010 18:56 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
I just upgraded my PD9 to 2504 and now I can no longer produce WMV files using the WMV9 HD format. They always hang on the same location in the timeline. I have tried this on previous projects that worked - they no longer work. If the format is 4:3, it works, but when it is 16:9, I get hangs. There is no CPU activity and no disk activity, and I have to kill the PD9 process with Task Manager to close it. This is a showstopper for me. Please resolve this ASAP.

I was able to create these just fine with 2330a version, however, I had the problem where I could only create one WMV output in a session. 2504 fixed that problem. So the good news is that I can now make WMV files without it hanging at the start of the Produce function, but the bad news is I can't create any HD output files now, so this is a worse situation. If I select a WMV9 format such as LAN, it works, but any of the HD formats such as Zune or Standard HD hang.

Anyone else encountered this?

Paul
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
309 time(s)
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Paul,

Build 2504

I can confirm your observation on my rig.

I placed 4 m2ts (1920X1080) video clips on the timeline and produced using Hardware Acceleration to a WMV Full HD 1920x1080 profile and the rendering stuck at 93%. I canceled the rendering and PD9 was frozen.

I then had to close PD9 via Task Manager.

I tried again to produce using 3 different clips producing to the same file type and profile and was successful. I don't know what the difference was, but it did freeze the first time. But when I clicked on "Return to Edit Page", PD9 was unresponsive and I again had to close via task manager.

Third attempt was completed successfully and this time I was able to go back to the edit page without PD9 hanging.

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 07. 2011 09:21

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
paulbid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Kevin,

I went back to some older projects that I had produced previously with 2330a patch level and they no longer work, so it is definitely related to the 2504 patch. As I said, I tried several different HD profiles and none of them worked (I didn't try them all).

This is really frustrating. I so much want PD9 to work but it seems like I'm constantly working around issues. I can't use Magic Music because it makes PD9 so slow it's unusable, so I'm using an external program to make MP3 sound clips, now this, which I'm getting around by using Movie Maker to create my HD files, and PD9 doesn't keep the 16:9 information properly in my .AVI files for Movie Maker 2.6, so I have to import the PD9 .AVI file into Premiere, then export it from Premiere, then load it into MM 2.6 to get the file format I want. The good news is that Cyberlink is at least putting out updates, something Adobe never does for Premiere. So patience I guess is in order.

Paul
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Paul,

I am sure it is very frustrating! We have all been in your shoes at one point or another with a variety of issues....they can change unexpectedly.

My response to your question was a way of showing what I experienced on my rig. We commonly did this during beta testing to try to either confirm or not confirm the problem on various PC's with different operating systems and configurations. The more information that is acquired...hopefully will help to narrow down what the problem is....

But as you can see from some of the recent PD9 topics regarding build 2504....it fixes some issues...Fixed ATI graphic card not being utilized during rendering to possibly breaking the production to a WMV profile. (more eye rolls!!)

It is frustrating for you.....but yes...patience is a virtue.....but if someone has deadlines....Yikes... patience is difficult to maintain. Right Dafydd!! I have blown a fuse in the past and vented to him....but that was ok...we are friends and still are!!

Regards,

Kevin
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Paul,

Just another thought....were you using Hardware Acceleration to render the WMV? Or were you using just the CPU? MAybe that is a variable that is causing the problem.

I will test again without HA selected to see if that makes a difference.

Regards,

Kevin
paulbid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Kevin,

I took your suggestion and removed both checked items in the Acceleration section and it produced just fine. Now I need to figure out which one (or both) is the culprit.

Thanks for the tip.

Paul
paulbid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Kevin,

Well, Enabling Hardware decoding caused it to hang at 89%. The AMD parallel processing worked fine. So it's the Hardware decoding setting that is causing the problem. You get a warning when you set that that you must have current drivers. Interesting, when I turned that on, PD9 went into a small CPU loop and I couldn't get control back and I had to kill it. So that's a sign of something not right.

I have an ATI 4250 embedded chip on my MB. It's got a driver from 10/2010. The ATI site has a driver from 12/2010. I've always been using the standard Win7 drivers and I'm up to date on the Microsoft Update process. Would you recommend I install the ATI driver instead?

I'm now wondering if I never had that set before. This week, I applied patch 2504 and I had a problem with losing my activation key for some reason, so I had to re-install PD9 from scratch and now I'm thinking that prior to the reinstall, I didn't have this option set. I just can't remember whether I did or not.

Paul
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Paul,

Would you recommend I install the ATI driver instead?
I certainly would try it. I typically update my drivers through ATI fairly regular. There are some that may say if it isn't broke don't try to fix it. So it depends on what is broke. I have the latest drivers from ATI and the production of the WMV stalled. I feel like it is a Hardware Acceleration issue....I'm not sure though. But it seems like if you take it out of the equation it then finishes the rendering more consistently.

Kevin
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Reported.
My ref 159

Dafydd
paulbid [Avatar]
[Post New]
What does it mean "Report. My ref 159"?

Paul
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
It means that Dafydd has reported the issue to CyberLink for review and action, report No. 159

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
So there are 159 officially logged problems with Power Director 9? I'm still at the original PD9 version 2330. Every time a patch/update is released, several forum posts show up here describing user issues related to the update. This is more prevelant with PD9 than with PD8, which has caused me to shy away from applying any of the updates.

If I don't see a "fix" or "enhancement" that pertains to my system, or what I do in the way of video production, I don't apply the update. Is that the recommended course of action? Or, does Cyberlink incorporate fixes and enhancements that are in addition to what we see in the official description, which means that we should always apply every update/patch. What do you experienced Power Director users advise?

-Allen
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Allen,

To the best of my knowledge, each patch that is released has the previous patches contained in it. So if you see patch 2330A..as far as I know patch 2504 will also have 2330a in it as well.

I typically save 3 or 4 previously released versions and/or patches so I can revert back to a previous release in case there is something specific that I don't find desirable. This on occasion does happen and if I can revert back to the previous release, I find that helpful.

I think you will find that many of the regular forum members use some of the features of PD9 quite often, say the SVRT feature for example. When a new patch is released, that feature is immediately tested to see if it works (or STILL doesn't works) as it should and then the results are posted in the forum. some of us will then test it on our systems to confirm it for the other. I hope that helps explain a bit what is happening.

This is more prevelant with PD9 than with PD8

I think that when PD8 finished beta testing, there were still unresolved issues...I don't know the total number but it still had reported problems when it was released for sale. I think that the forum members are very vocal in expressing how they feel about certain problems. The change to a 64-bit application has been interesting to say the least. It was a completely new program and had some real challenges being born.

Regards,

KEvin
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Cap'n Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to compose and post a thorough response to my PD9 concerns. Although PD9 is a totally new build, I see no difference (good or bad) when producing/burning HD DVD's...which is all I use PowerDirector for. Since PD8 and, now PD9 operate flawlessly for my simple projects, no change is a good thing. But, I can't help but to wonder if there might be some non-published code changes in one of the updates that would speed up the converting of my raw ACVHD videos to DVD-HD format.

I'll take your advice and upgrade to the latest build, Kevin. If something doesn't work right, or slows down the rendering process, I'll revert back to the original PD-9 Ultra. Thanks again Cap'n!

-Allen