Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power DVD 9 Ultra and Windows 7
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Michel,

I can not agree - I have several machines with W7 here and they all run quite smooth with PowerDVD 9 ULTRA.....

For me it sounds quite strange to me that you face crash while installing NV drivers - never saw it on my side....

Would be great if you could provide some more details about your system (like what VGA ...)

BR
Michael
Michel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2009 04:57 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
...some hope then ! Cheers !

Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2GB of RAM
Nvidia 8800GT 512 MB with v191.07 drivers
Creative X-Fi Platinum with latest drivers
Lite-on DVDRW SHW-160P6S ATA
...all this on a spanking new Windows 7 Home Premium 32bits.

The build of PDVD9 installed is the latest to date (2115).

How I crash :

- Turn on computer, wait for desktop to come up
- Run PowerDVD9 (twice, it just doesn't show up at all the first time)
- Press CTRL+C to open the settings window
- Click on the "Video" tab
- Windows tells me that this application will now be shut down, making me a sad Michel.
...Or I can just try to play something, it crashes the same way.

I run Comodo Internet Security and Slysoft's AnyDVD, but as stated before, deactivating those on the W7 RC2 didn't do anything, and running PDVD9 without them (or anything !) even installed but PowerDVD 9 on a fresh Seven install gave me the same crash, sooooo... yeah. :-|

Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Michel,

Can you please check your PowerDVD 9 ULTRA Version - latest Version is v2201

can you please help to provide the SR Number (in the about box when click on the CyberLink logo in top left) - thanks.

only one another question - the used language of the OS?

BR
Michael
Michel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for helping !

- I can't find that v2201 update . >This page< says that build 2115 is the latest one... Maybe I am looking in the wrong place ?

Edit : Tried updating from within PDVD with the blue circle/white arrow icon on the window title bar, nothing shows up.

Edit 2 : Googled "power dvd 9 2201" and a another site with a page containing a link to the file on cyberlink.com shows up... Still nothing in this update section of Cyberlink.com itself. Wtf, guys... Seriously ?

Edit 3 : Installed patch 2201, still crashes the same way

- SR Number : DVD090918-04

- Also, my OS is in French (sorry, should have mentioned that).

Something I mentioned to that guy in tech support, but didn't mention here (it could have something to do with it, I don't know) : My PDVD9 ultra is the upgrade version from PDVD8 (not the "stand alone", if that makes any sense - I have to install PDVD8 and activate it to be able to install PDVD9).

...:-|

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 26. 2009 16:23

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Michel,

I went down this road also with PD, it must be your machine it works on mine. You wouldn't happen to be running a new i7cpu would you?

Cyberlinks website states:- "The first consumer video editing software to be optimized for Intel Core i7 and there is even a youtube video from Cyberlink showing how well it supports i7cpu"s..........well guess what one of my problems with Powerdirector was the i7 cpu.......and here comes the good part......Cyberlinks solution Turn off 6 of the 8 cores of the i7cpu....I kid you not.

This did stop the crashing and they say they are working on a fix. I also have a problem with Powerdirector using over 2gig or memory to render a 45 meg video. Without getting too technical apparently on a 32 bit system the maximum memory any one program can use is 2 gig or it crashes......Cyberlinks solution while they work on it..... upgrade to a 64 bit system

That is a little bit of my frustration with cyberlink and the only reason I am still around is the PowerDirector forum is first class and has a group of dedicated people trying to help. Let's hope Cyberlink can bring themselves up to the same standard as their forum.

Cheers

Robert S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Michel [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll just quote the second line of the post just before yours :

Athlon 64X2 4200+

Frustration... It's a Cyberlink plugin, no ? B)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2009 02:59

[Post New]
DearMichel,
thanks for the informaton update - we will try to reproduce your issue.

Br
Michael
Michel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for taking time to consider my problems, Michael. It sure beats Dirk Heckel's messages.

I can make a capture with >Process Monitor< if that helps ?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 27. 2009 13:06

[Post New]
Dear Michel,

I can confirm that the issue has been reproduced on my side - it happens with installed COMODO Firewall/Security Software. Just disable COMODO does not workaround the problem only uninstalling COMODO Suite will help.

Hope we will see a final solution soon!

Greetings
Michael
Michel [Avatar]
[Post New]
My hero ! Confirmed on my side too.

The antivirus module is to blame : I tried reinstalling the firewall and defense+ modules only, and everything runs fine. Add that to your Q&A base sometime... This could save someone a loooot of trouble.

I'm off to the Comodo forums to tell the developpers hanging around there about that problem. Would you happen to have any specific details on the crash, so I can provide them with more info ?

Thanks again for helping. I hope you get promoted !

edit : that upscaling "Truetheater HD" feature is neat. Just thought I'd share.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2009 12:52

Michel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Found a workaround by adding the .exe to the exclusions list :

Here's the drill :

- Double click on the Comodo icon in the taskbar to open the main window
- Click on the "Antivirus" shield
- In the main window, select "Scanner settings"
- In the window that pops up, click on the Exclusions tab
- Click on Add, select Browse
- Browse to the PDVD9 directory (c:\program files\Cyberlink\PowerDVD9)
- Click on "PowerDVD9.exe" and click on the right arrow in between the two lists to add it to the Select items list
- Click on the Apply button at the bottom
- Close the CIS window
- Crack open a cold one and enjoy.

Yeahr.
[Post New]
My powerdvd 9 Ultra also works fine on W7