Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Getting a higher resolution Snapshot
[Post New]
Hi All, great forum.
As I film in XAVC S 4K is there any way to get the same high resolution quality still picture from the video other that what "Snapshot" provides which is 1920 x 1080?.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Vlc support snapshot captures from video. Don't know if it supports 4k.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi wrathofkhan -

The same question was asked recently & I responded - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42867.page#221295 - at the time I could check on my PDR13

As other members reported in that thread, if you have your preferences set to File and you've checked "Use original video size as snapshot image...", you'll get a snapshot at the same resolution as your 4K video.

When I got back home, I checked to find that my preferences had that option unchecked. Can't think why that would be because I always have it checked. Come on, you lot - fess up - who's been messing with my preferences?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Thank you for the info you just supplied ynotfish and as a result I have found out what is happening.

From a fresh install of PD13 the snapshot DOES retain the very same resolution as, in my case 4K video etc.

As soon as you use update 2408 GM4 patch the snapshot stays at 1920 x 1080.
Even if you then use the newest update 2604 GM5 patch it still only does 1920 x 1080.

Cyberlink need to be advised of this problem so I need to know how to do this.

I hate it when you get a new update that stuffs up other program areas that were good before.
[Post New]
Update to my previous message.

It is the TIMELINE that sets the resolution not the updates as previously stated as follows:-

Timeline No 1 will retain the very same resolution as, in my case 4K video etc.

Timeline No 2 only does 1920 x 1080 and NOT the 4K.

So I wonder why this is ?.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I wonder why this is ?.

Not sure, other than to say I think it always uses track1 as the reference. Sounds like a suggestion for improvement. I believe it does work a little different than you suggest though.

If track1 is high resolution and track2 is high resolution, a snapshot of track2 will be high resolution if taken over the span of track1. If snapshot of track2 taken outside the track1 high resolution video space, snapshot of track2 will be 1920x1080.

In attached pic, track1 4k, track2 4k, snapshot taken of track2 over track1 span is high resolution.

As a workaround, put a small high resolution video in track1 over your desired track2 snapshot region and you should get high resolution pic of track2.

Jeff
[Thumb - snapshot.png]
 Filename
snapshot.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
906 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
194 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Man! That's whacky! It defies logic (mine, at least). I tested in PDR12 hoping it would be different but it's just the same.

You're both right, & both very observant. I've taken more snapshots in PDR than you could poke a stick at & that's never occurred to me.

With the "keep resolution" option checked in preferences, all snapshots of videos from the Media Library or Track 1 alone retain the resolution of the video.

When T1 is empty & there's a video in T2, the snapshot willl be 1920x1080 whatever the resolution of the video is (even 720p)

When T1 & T2 are both populated, a snap taken of T2 video takes on the resolution of whatever is "behind" it in T1

For this little test I was using 4 different clips:
1. 4K (4096x2304)
2. UHD (3840X2160)
3. Full HD (1920x1080)
4. HD (1280x720)

e.g. 4K vid in T1, HD vid in T2 - snapshot of T2 = 4K
UHD vid in T1, Full HD vid in T2 - snapshot of T2 = UHD
HD vid in T1, 4K vid in T2 - snapshot of T2 = HD

BUT - I still don't know what it was that tripped my preferences! When I first posted on this subject - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42867.page#221295 - I was only referring to clips in T1 only. Guess I'll put it down to user error.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!