Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 Supports ONLY These Video Cards for Accelerated Encoding?
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Dear PD9 Experts,

This page http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_US.html lists the below graphics cards as being "supported" by PD9...

Supported GPGPU graphics cards:
NVIDIA:
•GeForce 8500GT and above
•GeForce 9800GT and above
•GeForce GT/GTS/GTX 200 series
•GeForce GT/GTS/GTX 400 series
•GeForce GT/GTS/GTX 500 series

AMD:
•Radeon HD2600 and above
•Radeon HD4600 series
•Radeon HD5600 series
•Radeon HD6800 series
Note: AMD Avivo™ Package V10.10 or above is required to enable Hardware Accelerated Video Encoding on AMD Graphics card.

Is this to be taken literally? In other words, are we to assume that if our specific graphics card is not on the above list, PD9 will not support Hardware Accelerated Video Encoding? I have an AMD Radeon HD4350.
-Allen
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
My card isn't on the list - perhaps it is because it hasn't been purchased and tested by CyberLink or it is no longer available.

If your card doesn't have CUDA or ATI's new named accelerated technology based cards that doesn't mean you cant use PD9.

If you want to view the spec of other editors, please visit: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8445.page

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2010 06:34

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
You could verify it by trying the trial version and make sure you have at least the ATI 10.10 Accelerated Parallel Processing version installed to see if hardware acceleration is then able to be enabled. But I doubt that the 4350 will be able to do this. No disrespect intended but the 4350 is on the lower end of the spectrum. The 4350 only has 80 stream processors(bigger number is better) my 5770(now low to average by comparison) has 800 stream processors. The NEW ATI 5970 has 3200 stream processors! But it is $700. I want to test that one!!

Kevin

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 22. 2010 11:56

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
I have an NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB PCI which is not on the list, but it does have CUDA and it does work very well with PDR9. The effects with the NVIDIA logo on them are greatly sped up -- especially the Pen Ink effect -- and AVC files produce about 4 to 5 times faster for me when the hardware acceleration option is selected on the Produce screen and on the Final Output dialog of Create Disc.
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the feedback gents. I am preparing to upgrade from PD8 to PD9 in a few minutes. From a marketing/sales standpoint, it would be better for Cyberlink if they added a more comprehensive list of the video cards that can utilize the enhanced encoding features.

Capt'n Kevin, I understand that my computer didn't come with a top of the line video card. I was going to upgrade my ATI 4350 to the 5770 that you have, but the power supply needed upgrading too. I took the cover off my HP Pavillion e9220y to see what was involved with changing the power supply and seeing all the cords/connections made me chicken out. So I'll have to do the best I can with the 4350 for a couple more years.

Wish me luck!

-Allen

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Allen,

It can be intimidating seeing all those wires! Your PC comes with a 300 Watt Power Supply and as you know it should be upgraded if you plan on changing out the graphic card. There are places that would do it for you I suppose. It boils down to time and money you want to invest into your PC.

Good Luck! And I hope you enjoy Power Director 9.

Regards,

KEvin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
homevideo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 24, 2010 11:07 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
SUCCESS IN GETTING A 'NON-SUPPORTED' NVIDIA QUADRO 600 GPU WORKING WITH POWER DIRECTOR 9

I've discovered a work around for getting some (at least my) unsupported GPUs to work with PowerDirector9.

I just bought a NVIDIA Quadro 600 and was not happy that it didn't work with PowerDirector9. After doing a little snooping around, I was able to get it to work.

The exploration:

Using regedit, I found keys 0001, 0002, 0003, 0004 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0\CLRec4\VGAMetaData. It looked like they held data for allowed GPUs.

I then went to my GPU to see if I could find something similar. Under device manager, select display adapters > NVIDIA Quadro 600 (my GPU), right click on properties, select details tab, and select Hardware IDs. There were a number of entries on this tab, all which begin (again for my GPU, customize for yours accordingly) with PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DF8&CC_0300 ..... Record these values. On the same tab under Device Description was NVIDIA Quadro 600. Record this description too.

I noticed that the 10DE in my Hardware ID strings matched the "_VendorID_01" keys for supported NVIDIA GPUs in the other registry entries. Based on this I used the above info to duplicate the other registry values that appeared to be needed.

WARNING: While the registry changes below aren't hard to do, be sure you're comfortable with editing the registry before proceeding. Your setup may vary slightly from mine, and if you aren't comfortable with adapting the below as needed you are best advised not to proceed with this.

The 'fix':

1) In regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0\CLRec4\VGAMetaData

2) Create a new key (next in sequence; for me 0001 through 0004 were present, so I created 0005)

3) In that key, create the following values (format below is "value name"=value type:value). Be sure to leave off the quotes on the value name when creating the value:

Look at your GPU Hardware ID string from above and find the number following the "&DEV_" substring: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DF8&CC_0300... and then create the new dword value with the data in that string. For me:

"_DeviceId_01"=dword:00000df8

Look at your GPU Hardware ID string from above and find the number following the "VEN_" substring: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DF8&CC_0300... and then create the new dword value with the data in that string. For me:

"_VendorId_01"=dword:000010de

Look at your GPU Device Description from above and create a string value. For me:

"_DeviceName_01"="NVIDIA Quadro 600"

Lastly create this dword value which, I'm guessing, says if you find a GPU matching the above entries, use it:

"VGA_ForceVMR9"=dword:00000001

I had to exit and restart PowerDirector after making these changes to the registry before it recognized the GPU. I'm now able to check places to use the GPU that were greyed out. More importantly, it works just fine. What was a 30 minute test render on my dual core CPU is now completed in about 4 minutes and GPU-Z shows the GPU never comes close (usually 40-80% load during render) to being saturated!

Hope this works for you too if you're in the same boat.

Notes:

1) I am running the latest NVIDIA driver for the card (260.78 beta). I'm sure this would work with the latest stable release (259.xx) too. The system I'm running tests on is Win732 with 2GB RAM (so not lots).

2) Routine upgrades to PowerDirector may zap these changes. If they do, take a look at the section and if the format is the same, just recreate the key and its values. If the format isn't the same, creatively adjust accordingly.