Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
32 Bit V9 - Import MPG file to make movie - soundtrack distorted
[Post New]
Help! I've spent hours and hours with trying to get the test version of PD9 working...I'm grateful to find this forum and using the recommendation of updating the NVIDIA drivers, I too can now completely load the software. Unfortunately, I'm still having problems with this software and I'm crossing my fingers that I can make it work. So, please, help!

When I imported an .mpg file, the soundtrack distorted for voices only. The video file contains waterfalls, voices and picture. The voices sound like Mickey Mouse times 10 times higher and faster. The waterfalls are all normal, the picture is fine. What do I need to do to fix the people voices to be heard correctly in PD9? Do I need to update another driver? .AVI files are ok.

Thanks!! "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." ~ Unknown
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Please see the 3 basics below and provide... AND please attach a minimum 5 second sample of your video - unedited and straight from your camera (10 to 15 seconds). Make sure the sample has audio which you've reported as being distorted.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2010 16:45

[Post New]
Thanks DaFYDD! Here are the answers:

A) Powerdirector V9, 32 Bit, Trial. I downloaded yesterday, but I checked for updates just in case, but there aren't any at the link you suggested.

B) DirectX Diagnostic attached.

F) File attached.

G) Smaller video attached, but voice is clearly identifiable as not working Will this work for you? Also, please note that it does play accurately in Windows Media Player.
 Filename
VA PLB - 10-2010_0010.MPG
[Disk]
 Description
Video
 Filesize
635 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
424 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DirectX Diagnostic
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
347 time(s)
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." ~ Unknown
[Post New]
Last file...
[Thumb - PD9 Example copy.jpg]
 Filename
PD9 Example copy.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD9 Screen Shot
 Filesize
74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
221 time(s)
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." ~ Unknown
[Post New]
Hi again! I was working with some other .mpg video and didn't realize that it's not translating either. I've attached the example.

Thanks.
 Filename
VA PLB - 10-2010_0046.MPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5114 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
399 time(s)
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Patricia,

I imported your sample video file into PD9 and experienced the Mickey Mouse effect. Using anothe program Media Espresso..I converted the clip to another file type mpeg-2 and imported it into PD9 and it sounded fine.

So my question is....Your original file is classified as an mpeg-1.....did your video camera produce this? Or was it created in another way?

Regards,

KEvin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
Yes. I used a Sony Cybershot circa 2006. "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." ~ Unknown
[Post New]
Please note that these files worked well in PD8 as is. That is where I created the movie that I'm testing in PD9.

Thanks. "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." ~ Unknown
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for the information about the files working in PD8....Aside from converting them to another format prior to importing the clip into PD9 and having the clips sound normal....I can't say what the problem is.

Other than Dafydd may have something to add regarding the clips....I am not sure what is wrong. But since PD9 is still in its infancy, certain combinations and file types from specific cameras may result in challenging it....I have had similar results when trying to import other files into PD9....they worked in PD8, but don't work in PD9. Maybe it is "by design" We have gotten this response regarding some issues identified during beta testing of PD9. I am personally not convinced of this regarding some observed glitches not experienced before in PD8.....I digress....my apologies.

I am sure that it will become clearer....Dafydd will have some insight in the morning.

Regards,

Kevin
[Post New]
Kevin - I appreciate your explanations Never hesitate to give me too much to help me understand!!! What are the chances that Cyberlink is going to work on the code to allow PD9 to be back-ward compatible in all areas? I ask because I have another posting out there regarding a PD6.5 movie conversion problem as well - the subtitles are absent. I really liked the PD8 Trial, but once I got my hands on PD9, PD8 is history in my mind.

These problems are really frustrating...I have alot of production work that I want to complete for my family for Christmas in addition to completing the updates to the last movie I made for my friends and I. I don't want to go to another software...I LOVE Power Director and it's capabilities and ease of use! I want to buy PD9, but that seems crazy given a couple of my really time consuming situations at the moment. Can you help me?

Thanks for your time,

Patricia "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." ~ Unknown
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
118 - Kevin has confirmed the issue - I'll report the problem. Sorry for the delay in responding. I've reported the matter to CL.

Thanks Patricia. There isn't a lot we can do over the forum. It might be worth converting the footage to a suitable format using something like Super. I doubt a 4/5/6 year old camera will get a high priority when HD resolution has superseded it. sorry.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 24. 2010 06:57

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sure the original format is the issue for PD9. The mpg1 format with mono audio seems to be the culprit when imported to PD9 - on my system note the differing audio/video lengths between the converted .mp4 and the original .mpg.

I converted your VA PLB - 10-2010_0046.MPG to VA PLB - 10-2010_0046.mp4 using format factory with default settings, so I haven't played with any quality parameters and PD9 handled the .mp4 with no problems.

Maybe batch converting your footage may be the workaround?

Cheers
Adrian
 Filename
VA PLB - 10-2010_0046.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3233 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
392 time(s)
[Thumb - mpg1 clip.PNG]
 Filename
mpg1 clip.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
142 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
208 time(s)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Douglas5959 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Vienna, Austria Joined: Dec 01, 2010 06:08 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Patrcia & Co,
Like Patricia, I’ve been working through the test version of PD9. And like Patricia, I discovered that the program won’t play my mpeg-1 clips (also from a Sony Cybershot) properly: I get the above-mentioned Mickey Mouse effect. Until I stumbled on to this problem, I was very enthusiastic about PD9 and was poised to run out and buy it (actually stay home and buy it=download) but now I’m having second thoughts, since a lot of the film I planned on editing with this program are these mpeg-1 clips, and it would be a real hassle if it didn’t work. If anyone hears of a solution to this problem, I would greatly appreciate it if you would post it.
Pursuing the workaround route: can anyone give me a tip about batch-converting all of these files to a format that PD9 will swallow?
Thank you very much and greetings from snowy Vienna.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi All,

Dafydd:

I imported the clip into PD9 Build 2215(Beta version) and it was fine. The later build 2316 released to the public had the Mickey Mouse effect.

Kevin
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, thanks for confirming. I've reported the findings and it's down as a BUG for 2316.

Dafydd
[Post New]
Hey Guys! Thanks so much for sticking with this Your time and attention to this detail is very much appreciated!!! "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." ~ Unknown
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Patricia,
I don't know when the bug will get fixed - just hope it is sooner rather than later.
Dafydd
Douglas5959 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Vienna, Austria Joined: Dec 01, 2010 06:08 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Great. Thanks for the update and for tracking down the problem. I, too, l hope that CL fixes the bug sooner rather than later.
hondaf17 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 17:41 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

Just wanted to say I am having the exact same problem. I have a ton of MPEG-1 video files, shot on Sony Cybershot cameras, and the audio gets the mickey mouse effect on all of them. This is the case even with MPEG-1 video files shot with my 2009 Sony Cybershot.

Really hoping it gets resolved, playing with the trial version right now and love it, except for the above.

Please let us know if it's fixed.

Thank you.
hondaf17 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 17:41 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hello.

Is there any update to this problem? I'm thoroughly enjoying the trial version of PD9 thus far. Does a great job with slideshows, but this issue will be a deal-breaker for me, b/c there's no way I'm going to convert all my video files before loading into PD9. I saw there was a patch, but only for the retail version, so I don't know if it's been fixed. Would love an update from a moderator.

Thank you in advance.