Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GoPro Wav files dont Sync with Video
rkruz3 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 19, 2020 10:21 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
Im attempting to find ways to improve the audio recording from the internal mics of the GoPro.
They offer the option to provide an unprocessed .wav file in addition to the embedded audio in the video.
However, when viewing both in PD21, the .wav file shows to be 5 times as long. See the attached screen shot.
The actual audio however is paced correctly but offset.
Also the .wave file cannot be edited in PD21 without crashing PD.
Further, Audio Director 13 shows it as a corrupted file.
If I use Audacity to convert the .wav to a .mp3 then the file is the correct length and syncs with the video.

Any experience with GoPro in this regard, e.g., use their separate .wav file?

Thanks!
[Thumb - audio video vs wave.jpg]
 Filename
audio video vs wave.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Video vs Wave
 Filesize
245 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
As is always the case when PD seems to be having trouble with any particular file, it's best to provide the full specs or otherwise share the clip directly.

To glean and share the full specs, please follow the steps in this post.
rkruz3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote As is always the case when PD seems to be having trouble with any particular file, it's best to provide the full specs or otherwise share the clip directly.

To glean and share the full specs, please follow the steps in this post.

I attached the video clip and the associated .wav file recorded by GoPro. A short video counting to 10. The video is only 24 seconds long but the .wav file is 2min 20s long. See the prior screenshot of PD21 and the 2 clips.

When trying to Produce with the .wav, PD21 crashes.

And AudioDirector says the .wav is corrupted and won't open.

When using Audacity to convert the .wav to a .mp3, the .mp3 then becomes 24 seconds long.

At this point, I'll have to assume from all the results above that I can't use the GoPros' separate .wav audio files directly in PD21 as they are incompatible without that extra conversion step with Audacity.

thanks!

Filename
High 10 count.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
231975 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
26 time(s)
 Filename
High 10 count.WAV
[Disk]
 Description
wave file should be 20s long
 Filesize
17520 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
36 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2023 18:04

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the 2 clips.

I don't have any idea what's going on the the GoPro app, but the WAV file it generated is in fact 2:20 long according to the clip's internal metadata:

It does play at the correct speed in Win 11's Media Player, and the legacy QuickTime and Windows Media players on my system,. However, VLC shows a duration of 2:20 but it actually plays back at 10x that speed (according to the playback timer).

ClipChamp doesn't seem to be able to open it and AD also gives me the corrupted file message.

If I look at the original clip, there's all kinds of extra audio in the header:

I have to assume that something in there is causing some programs to not play the clip properly, although I had no issues when producing to the Best Matched Format in PD365 just now.You can download the produced clip from here.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
The wav file from GoPro depends heavily what settings are used. Yours is very normal and in your case, you have 4 mono channels, Ch1-front, Ch2-side, Ch3-top and Ch4 would be blank. You can change settings to have these mixed to stereo, or you could mix in Audacity. I’d not use MP3 unless you export as constant bitrate. This sample recoding has your counts in Ch1 and Ch2, Ch3 and Ch4 are blank. Ch1 and Ch2 are not in phase so definitely coming from 2 spatially separated microphones. Usually front and top is used to mix to stereo and the side is kind of a backup mic. For your raw high case you can mix Ch1 and Ch2 to create stereo. Once mixed in say Audacity, and exported as a stereo wav file, length will be correct.

Raw low would have audio from all 3 mics, Ch1,2,3. Not sure what you are recording, you can kind of create a pseudo 5.1 in Audacity with the 3 mic output setting. Create the 5.1 mix in the order L, C, R, rL, rR, and LFE which is common AC3 order. Combine the L and R tracks for the C, the output from the side microphone for the rL and rR, and all three for the LFE. Or you can change the mix to your liking but it will have some spatial awareness from mic separations.

I don’t think AD or PD will handle and mix a wav file with 4 mono channels properly, Audacity or similar would be required.

Jeff
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I don't have any idea what's going on the the GoPro app, but the WAV file it generated is in fact 2:20 long according to the clip's internal metadata:

Since in another thread you didn't care on my wording, do you have a reference for this fact of yours, or is it simply what you experienced with MediaInfo? Here's Moo0 Video Info, it has proper Duration: 00:00:23.36 and 4 channels for this common GoPro wav audio file.

Jeff
[Thumb - GOPRO_Audio.png]
 Filename
GOPRO_Audio.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
rkruz3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks very much for the 2 clips.

I don't have any idea what's going on the the GoPro app, but the WAV file it generated is in fact 2:20 long according to the clip's internal metadata:

It does play at the correct speed in Win 11's Media Player, and the legacy QuickTime and Windows Media players on my system,. However, VLC shows a duration of 2:20 but it actually plays back at 10x that speed (according to the playback timer).

ClipChamp doesn't seem to be able to open it and AD also gives me the corrupted file message.

If I look at the original clip, there's all kinds of extra audio in the header:

I have to assume that something in there is causing some programs to not play the clip properly, although I had no issues when producing to the Best Matched Format in PD365 just now.You can download the produced clip from here.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this and confirm some of things I was experiencing.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Moo0 File info is a utility that I will use in the future. VLC/Tools/Codec list Channels 3F/LFE. I do see discrepancy in information at times with problematic files when using the different utilities available.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Moo0 File info is a utility that I will use in the future. VLC/Tools/Codec list Channels 3F/LFE. I do see discrepancy in information at times with problematic files when using the different utilities available.

I believe they all can have issues, it's usually beneficial having some experience with knowing what to expect with the file version you have based on what created it vs just trusting a utility as a fact. Often, even OEM manuals don't document well enough what they are providing.

3 front is probably a good description as well, to my knowledge, GoPro currently does not use their Ch 4, it's always blank.

Jeff
rkruz3 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I believe they all can have issues, it's usually beneficial having some experience with knowing what to expect with the file version you have based on what created it vs just trusting a utility as a fact. Often, even OEM manuals don't document well enough what they are providing.

3 front is probably a good description as well, to my knowledge, GoPro currently does not use their Ch 4, it's always blank.

Jeff

that makes sense, as the GoPro has three microphones in the camera.
My application is recording the sound of the vehicle moving offroad. I want to record the tire-on-road sounds and the grunt of the engine when climbing hills.
The issue I was trying to work on is that the camera's internal mic, whose audio that is embedded with the video, is compressed and background sounds, such as the engine fan, get loud in the absence of louder sounds.

The separate audio .wav file the GoPro can provide can be selected for any one of three levels of processing with selections from none to low compression, I was hoping these files would give better-recorded results without amplifying the background sounds I dont want, like the engine fans. I was hoping the audio would be less compressed. But the corrupted .wav file, requiring it to be separately processed into a .mp3 is just adds another step to an already involved process to edit a video together. At this point Ill probably try to work with the embedded audio vs the .raw using 2 external mics strategically placed.

Thanks for the insight!
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote But the corrupted .wav file, requiring it to be separately processed into a .mp3 is just adds another step to an already involved process to edit a video together.

It is not corrupt, maybe just lack of understanding or someone claiming corrupt. The fact that PD or AD can't deal with it does not make it corrupt, it's just lack of capability by those two products. As explained prior, for your current record setting it is essentially 2 channel stereo. You just need to combine as such.

Jeff
rkruz3 [Avatar]
[Post New]

It is not corrupt, maybe just lack of understanding or someone claiming corrupt. The fact that PD or AD can't deal with it does not make it corrupt, it's just lack of capability by those two products. As explained prior, for your current record setting it is essentially 2 channel stereo. You just need to combine as such.

Jeff

I vote corrupt or at least incompatible.
In PD the .wav is 5 times longer then the video version of the exact same audio
and when attempting to edit it crashes PD21 immediately.
Audio Director reports it as corrupt.
Audacity will handle it to convert to a .mp3 that can be imported back and used by PD.

The attached screen shot shows the wav file being 5 times longer then the same recording mp4 file.
[Thumb - PD wav compare.jpg]
 Filename
PD wav compare.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
215 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 03. 2023 12:24

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I vote corrupt or at least incompatible.
In PD the .wav is 5 times longer then the video version of the exact same audio
and when attempting to edit it crashes PD21 immediately.
Audio Director reports it as corrupt.
Audacity will handle it to convert to a .mp3 that can be imported back and used by PD.

The attached screen shot shows the wav file being 5 times longer then the same recording mp4 file.

Your vote/view as you wish, at times ignorance is bliss.

Attached is an Audacity stereo wav file of your sample for reference. It will read into AD and PD fine and show stereo features as shown in the attached AD interface. One can easily see AD indicates it's 23.360 sec long and one can easily see differences between L and R channels for stereo from the 2 GoPro mics that were captured with your current settings.

Jeff
[Thumb - AD_GoPro_Stereo.png]
 Filename
AD_GoPro_Stereo.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
119 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
 Filename
High 10 count2.wav
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
8760 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
43 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Further, Audio Director 13 shows it as a corrupted file.

Quote And AudioDirector says the .wav is corrupted and won't open.

Quote ClipChamp doesn't seem to be able to open it and AD also gives me the corrupted file message.

Quote Audio Director reports it as corrupt.

Appears a common thought of being corrupt is AD says it’s corrupt. Well, it’s probably worth noting, AD13 per the manual as a reference here only supports mono, stereo, 5.1, and 7.1 audio. 4 channel support only if in a 360 video file.

A wav file can have anywhere from 1 – 65,535 channels, many opportunities for an AD13 corrupt error of a valid wav file depending on writing software. Other editors allow you to define channel mix when importing wav file and read this GoPro example just fine. Your GoPro wav file will always be 4 channels, but depending on GoPro settings 2 or 3 active mic channels and always 1 or 2 blank channels. So AD13 will always display corrupt as this 4 channel wav file is not a supported file per CL's manual.

Maybe CL should modify the error to be a little more descriptive for those users.

Jeff