Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Disc Summary accuracy
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
This is not so important, but maybe help at burning time! to add more clips to the media. I observe that the “used disk” space on “Create Disk” always shows about 8 to 10% more that the real created DVD size (the time it’s pretty much close to real).

Does anybody else experience the same issue?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nicholas -

Yes - same observations here, though I've never bothered to work out the percentage of the error.

It also occurs in the predicted file size in the Produce module - and often over-estimated by a considerable amount For the most part, this doesn't matter - unless I'm producing a WMV for email (some mail servers have restrictions on file size).

I usually just accept that it's an estimate.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Another nice suggestion to Cyberlink PD
matt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 27, 2010 04:38 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nicolas,

yes, I'm stuck finishing my holiday project because of this problem. Basically I have a finished project that PD8 says is 9.2GB but in reality (after tests and individual components) is around 6.4GB. I want to put it on one DL disc but can't.

I'm currently in ongoing chats with technical support about it. It's very slow

Please join in and let technical support know.

Matt
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

This issue has been reported to CL, certainly by me!

As an example, 2 hours 10 minutes of 1920x1080 24mbps Canon footage will fit onto a 25gb blu-ray disc when encoded using h.264 and SVRT.

The counter states that it needs 28gb of disc space for a project of this length but this is false. The workaround is to select a 50gb blu-ray from the drop down menu and burn to blu-ray folders, and then burn the folders to 25gb disc using Power2go or IMGburn.

This workaround, like your 9gb DVD project, falls flat on it's face when burning say a 4 hour project to 50gb blu-ray. The counter estimates a project of this size will need 47gb of disc space, when in actual fact 39gb is needed. If you try and include more than 4 hours of footage, the program refuses to even attempt to burn the disc because it thinks the project size will be to big - when actually it isn't!

I've said to Cyberlink in the past that this issue could be corrected simply by removing the 'refuse to burn' feature and replace it with just a warning that still allows you to proceed if you wish.

I think having a 100% accurate counter, with so many 'flavours' of AVCHD on the market, must be very difficult to achieve.

This could be made alot simpler, as I said, with the removal of the 'refuse to burn' feature.

Cheers,

Andrew

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Touche Andrew

I asked the same thing only a few weeks back:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/11279.page

NicolasNY
[Post New]
Until Cyberlink doesn’t get answers for this issue, you can work around creating a disc folder structure and use other programs to burn your UDF disc.
Solomon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 11, 2010 20:24 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Although I didn't start the post, I am happy to read that this is not just my project or problem.

I have a produced Mpeg 2 that i imported into studio that is 6.2 gigs. But when i go to create disc it says its over 9 gigs.
Likewise when my main project of 2 1/2 hours of Mpeg2 initially stated 7.1 gigs, after adding 150MB of audio and 150Mb of photos suddenly it jumps up to over 9Gb.
Any advice on other burning programs that are free? Does powerproducer work well?

On a side note, I am having trouble changing the text in a menu play button? I click in the text box but get no change. The add title box works fine, why does the create button text box any different?
Also do you really need a play button to play the movie, will it play anyway if you just hit play on the remote?
Thanks again, everyone here is very helpful.

Scott
NicolasNY
[Post New]
This is a nice example. I just create a simple DVD project, where PD8 shows me has 4.74GB. If you intent to burn it in a 4,7GB DVD disc, PD8 blocks you to do it, so what I did was the following:

1. Change my “Disc Preferences” to a 8.5GB disc
2. Create a final output to a folder only (create the DVD folder structure)
3. Open Power2G for creating a DVD (like if you will want to create a data disk)
4. Drag the folder structure to the P2GO “Disc Compilation” area
5. Accept the P2GO question to make this disc compatible with the DVD video format
6. Burn it. Perfect.

The real size of the DVD was 4.46GB so this time the error was about 6%. So until Cyberlink doesn’t correct this, I will always calculate 6 to 10% less than PD8 shows.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 08. 2010 16:06

Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
This is the workaround I use. However, as I'm sure you've noticed, it doesn't work if you have have a project that PD identifies as 9gb say, when actually it's say 7gb. PD will just refuse to burn to folders due to it's perception that the project is too large for an 8.5gb DVD.

As I said before, disabling the 'refuse to burn' feature and replacing it with a warning that still allows you to proceed would be the easiest way to fix situations like this.

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 08. 2010 16:57

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Yes Andrew, you are right..
Quote: ..disabling the 'refuse to burn' feature and replacing it with a warning that still allows you to proceed would be the easiest way to fix situations like this.
In addition, the program would be more professional, if the accuracy was perfect. Lets see how Beta PD9 works.
Regards,
Nicolas

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 11. 2010 22:02

matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just an update,

I have had my 5th response from technical support. Apparently the differences are due to the bitrates before and after burning. This still doesn't satisfy me as my project will definately fit on a DL disc.

I have requested again that they disable the disc restriction for which they have never acknowledged or commented on when I have asked them about it.

Matt
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Matt, have you ever tried making a DVD folder using PD and using another program like Power2Go or Imgburn (free) to burn the disk? Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi James,

I bought P2Go but it doesn't accept VOB files or PDS files into the section where you build your project and add a DVD menu.

My project has been edited and saved directly through the create option in PD8 as VOB files as these are by far the best quality.

I have thought about other ways to finish this. I'm not sure about IMGBurn (I'm just looking at it now and it reminds me of DVD shrink)

But James, it's the DVD project menu that's the sticking point here now. I've used PD8 to design my DVD menu which I'm impressed with and want to keep it. So I can see PD as being the only way to complete this project. I'm not aware of any other programs out there (for free) that will complete this project with all the materials I have gathered together.

Actually.. I'm wondering now!!!. Can I burn to folder a smartfit version complete with DVD menu, then discard the low resolution video project (keeping the menu files) and just insert the original HQ VOB back into the DVD folder, providing I keep the same VOB file names? Will the IFO and BUP file associations object to this? I'll have to try this.

Matt
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
You can design your video and menu and still create a DVD folder. When the folder is created it will create the necessary Video_TS and Audio_TS folders a DVD player needs to play your DVD. PD should create these two folders without size limitation. You can then use Imgburn to copy these two folders to your DVD+R disk. This is the method I normally use when I have to make additional DVD disks at a later time. I assume Power2Go does the same thing, but I've never tired it.

I'm assuming this will work based on your claim that the final size is less than 4.7GB. I would advise not using smart fit for now due to the possibility of a significant loss of quality since a lower bit rate will be used during the rendering process.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 11. 2010 09:59

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Quote: Matt, have you ever tried making a DVD folder using PD and using another program like Power2Go or Imgburn (free) to burn the disk?

James... take a look on .. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/11592.page it maybe helps you on your question.. Read it all and you find your answer.
James W
[Post New]
Nicolas, I wasn't asking a question for myself since I use Imgburn all the time to create my DVDs which I produced from PD using a DVD folder. I was just asking Matt if he ever tried that approach to solve his problem. My thought was that PD may think the produced file would not fit on a 4.7GB DVD, but if the DVD folder was smaller than 4.7 GB then Imgburn may be a way to get around PD's error message.

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
matt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi James,

the project weights in at 9.2GB according to PD8 but is actually only 6.4GB.

Does anyone know why Cyberlink wouldn't disable the disc restriction message?

Matt

SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Matt, have you ever tried making a DVD folder using PD and using another program like Power2Go or Imgburn (free) to burn the disk?

Can I chip in and reply to that. When I first got PD, I just couldn't get it to record to a DVD. CL made all sorts of noises but the bottom line was that they thought it was another DVD burning software getting in the way - Nero or Pinnacle... Anyway, to cut a long story short, I bought in to Power2Go and forever since I have created the DVD in PD and then burned with P2Go. Never had a problem. However, I have not pushed the limits as I am only producing small stuff.

Perhaps the reason for the disparity in estimate vs actual is due to the variable bit rate used in the video? The estimate would use the maximum bit rate multiplied by the timeline time, but why it wouldn't replace that with the 'actuality' after the video had been produced is beyond me. Perhaps they have to create a container on the disc, which would use estimate, but the container cannot be (easily) resized after production? i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

Disc Summary accuracy is caused by different algorithms.
That is, different file formats may need different algorithms to get the most accurate estimation. However, PD can use only one algorithm at a time to work out the disc summary. CL/PD chooses the one that has most tolerance. This is the reason why an editor sees a difference between the real size and estimation.

I have edited an explanation on the disc summary issue.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 25. 2010 07:12