Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Disc Summary accuracy
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

Disc Summary accuracy is caused by different algorithms.
That is, different file formats may need different algorithms to get the most accurate estimation. However, PD can use only one algorithm at a time to work out the disc summary. CL/PD chooses the one that has most tolerance. This is the reason why an editor sees a difference between the real size and estimation.

I have edited an explanation on the disc summary issue.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 25. 2010 07:12

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Disc Summary accuracy is caused by different algorithms.
That is, different file formats may need different algorithms to get the most accurate estimation. However, PD can use only one algorithm at a time to work out the disc summary. CL/PD chooses the one that has most tolerance. This is the reason why an editor sees a difference between the real size and estimation.

Dafydd

That is the main reason that CL should have never put in the hard restriction on DVD folder size limits when creating a DVD folder. If the coding can't estimate it correctly because of varied footage formats, how can one justify putting a hard limit on folder size creation? Let the user create the DVD folder and deal with it. Obviously other DVD folder issue will occur if the size is too big as the DVD format specification can't deal with that.
Quote: PD8 put some new wrinkles in folder creation. PD7 allowed folders larger than DVD, or DVD DL and you could compress (smart fit) with a 3rd party utility if you wish. PD8 no longer allows that, they check for size, very annoying as smart fit is not nearly as good as some other products.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8401.page#35149

This is not a new issue, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4262.page PD7 was the same. The new issue in my opinion is that PD8 won't create the DVD folder, that is an issue that hopefully will be addressed by CL in PD9.

Jeff
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for your input - excellent.
I've passed on your observations.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 28. 2010 11:41

matt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 27, 2010 04:38 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
21st July 2010

received a reply from head office after posting my complaint to them. Just the same old. Getting very frustrated
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,

A funny thing just happened! I've just completed a 4 hour project in PD. PD estimated the project to be 49826mb which is over the 49202mb limit for 50gb blu-ray discs.

However, when I attempted to burn to folders, no warning message appeared telling me the project was too big and it went through no problem!

I have the latest build 3022. Can anyone else replicate this?

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrew,

I am assembling some vacation footage to be placed on a Blu-Ray disc today. It should be a FULL disc...I'll post my results.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Cheers Kevin!

It's worth mentioning that the actual folder size after burning to folders was 40.97GB so it was just under 18% out!!

The 'Refuse to Burn' feature does kick back in if attempting to write to DVD folders with a project that is too large. Maybe it's because writing to blu-ray folders is activated by a workaround and is exempt from the same restrictions.

Cheers.

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Will [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2010 17:31 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Once you have the AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folders on your hard drive to the correct size, you can burn the DVD disk as a data disk using any burner program.

I recommend refusing the 'make compatible' option because this causes reprocessing of the video that will cause some degradation and can affect the menu behavior of your production.
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Agreed, the point here is that PD won't even burn the folders to your hard drive if it deems the project too big for a DVD.

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2010 11:35

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: This is not so important, but maybe helps at burning time! to add more clips to the media. I observe that the “used disk” space on “Create Disk” always shows about 8 to 10% more that the real created DVD size (the time it’s pretty much close to real).

This was my grand opening in PD forum time ago and earns me a lot of points (without any modesty), but this topic has moved around without any object and there is only one solution… as Jeff say:
Quote: That is the main reason that CL should have never put in the hard restriction on DVD folder size limits when creating a DVD folder.

I still think that it would be much easier if CL R&D remove the restriction, don’t you think?

cheers,
Nicolas
matt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 27, 2010 04:38 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all,

I've been away a while. Back in July, I got an email from HQ suggesting to select 'burn project to DVD' and not to 'folder'.

On selecting this, I got a PD message saying my project was too big for the media, BUT....it allowed me to continue burning! Yay I thought, finally the answer (hmm, did this come with update 3022).

Alas, I was never able to burn my (in reality 6.4GB) project still, as I got a PD message in the menu stage of burning stating the usual 'not enough room to burn the project' (it messed my discs up too!)

After uninstalling my Roxio easy CD and any other media software that might interfere, and making loads of space on my HDD, I still wasn't able to burn onto disc.

So seven months on, I'm back to try again. Has anyone had this problem at this stage and any fix?

I still have an unused Dual Layer burner I bought for my project here and a pack of expensive Dual layer discs getting corrupted on each try.
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Hi,

Take a look at this 'refuse to burn' workaround:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15324.page

It works for PD9, definately worth a go on PD8.

Cheers,