Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Startup crash on Windows 7 "PowerDirector has stopped working", I need help debugging please!
Paul 2014 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2010 14:06 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys, I just reinstalled my pc and now PD8 is crashing at startup "PowerDirector has stopped working...", I'm posting my specs expecting that someone here could possibly help me, thanks!

Windows 7 x64
MSI P55-CD53
Core i7 860
4GB RAM
nVidia GTX 480
SoundBlater Fatality Xtreme

Event Log Message
Faulting application name: PDR8.exe, version: 8.0.0.3022, time stamp: 0x4c2017c8
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b29c
Exception code: 0xc015000f
Fault offset: 0x00084391
Faulting process id: 0x314
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb283559017813
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDirector\PDR8.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 982cc8f7-9428-11df-8a15-005056c00008

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 22. 2010 13:41

Paul 2014 [Avatar]
[Post New]
By the way, I reinstalled QuickTime, K-lite MegaCodec Pack, Divx, cleaned the Registry with ccleaner, uninstaller the software, reinstalled the software, none worked.

Including here my DXDiag report file.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
630 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 20. 2010 14:35

Miroslav Durcik [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bratislava, Slovakia, Europe Joined: Jul 08, 2010 16:40 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I think I read somewhere else on this forum that 64bit os is a no go for this app.

Maybe the native calls to ntdll.dll are hardcoed as 32bit data types, but in 64bit os these calls must be with 64bit data types.

but that is only my guess.
Paul 2014 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I think I read somewhere else on this forum that 64bit os is a no go for this app.

Maybe the native calls to ntdll.dll are hardcoed as 32bit data types, but in 64bit os these calls must be with 64bit data types.

but that is only my guess.

Unfortunately that's not the case because it worked before...
Is there a way to get some advanced error logging information from this app?
Thanks!
mrteeth2005 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 15, 2010 01:09 Messages: 55 Offline
[Post New]
Hey there-

I'm a newbie myself so I'm still learning this product. I'd like to make a suggestion. Your system rig seems to be fine. In fact, it's very similar to what I have (i7-930 and GTX480).

Often time when something like this crash(which it never did on mine), I have always traced it back to the memory. It happened to me when I bought my gaming rig two months ago. It was really beefy (i7-975, GTX480, 8gig ram, etc.) but games and video editing software was crashing left and right (10-12 different BSOD). I finally traced it back to the memory. What kind of memory do you have? Are they branded names like Kingston? Corsairs? Are they generic?

Mine was generic. Although 8g 1800mhz was a lot, the fact is they were some cheap memory with no names. I ended up returning the system and getting my money back to order a new one. My new rig with only 6gb of Corsair ram has not crashed on any application. That includes games like Crysis, COD MW2, and Far Cry 2. I've not received one single BSOD.

Anyways, it's my 2 cents

Good luck.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20. 2010 18:13

Intel i930 (4x 2.80ghz), 12 gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 ram, 1.5gb Nvidia GTX480, Asus P6t mb, 850w XFX PSu, Windows 7 HP
Paul 2014 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hey there-

I'm a newbie myself so I'm still learning this product. I'd like to make a suggestion. Your system rig seems to be fine. In fact, it's very similar to what I have (i7-930 and GTX480).

Often time when something like this crash(which it never did on mine), I have always traced it back to the memory. It happened to me when I bought my gaming rig two months ago. It was really beefy (i7-975, GTX480, 8gig ram, etc.) but games and video editing software was crashing left and right (10-12 different BSOD). I finally traced it back to the memory. What kind of memory do you have? Are they branded names like Kingston? Corsairs? Are they generic?

Mine was generic. Although 8g 1800mhz was a lot, the fact is they were some cheap memory with no names. I ended up returning the system and getting my money back to order a new one. My new rig with only 6gb of Corsair ram has not crashed on any application. That includes games like Crysis, COD MW2, and Far Cry 2. I've not received one single BSOD.

Anyways, it's my 2 cents

Good luck.

Hi, I have 4GB of Corsair XMS3, I never had any problems nor ever got a BSOD, not being able to even lunch the app is really annoying, I wish someone could help me trace it.
Thank you
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi folks,

it is forum policy that those wishing to post questions on here provide their name. Experienced members on this forum will not attempt to assist you until you do so and our Moderator Dafydd will lock this post.

Many thanks,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
Paul 2014 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi folks,

it is forum policy that those wishing to post questions on here provide their name. Experienced members on this forum will not attempt to assist you until you do so and our Moderator Dafydd will lock this post.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Thanks for pointing that out, I just hope that an expert will be able to help me now!
Cheers,
Paul
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Was that a full version of 3022 or the patched upgrade?

Just so you know, we're not CyberLink Technical Support. Here's their link: https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Dafydd
Paul 2014 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Was that a full version of 3022 or the patched upgrade?

Just so you know, we're not CyberLink Technical Support. Here's their link: https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Dafydd

Hi, I'm trying to evaluate the software and if I don't get it working soon it will be too late because it will have expired
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Well, obviously your PC is powerful enough. Good on one hand, bad because those 480 drivers are very new.

You'll have to strip it down to bare bones until the problem can be isolated... Disable the virus scanner, other hardware, unplug USB hubs and unnecessary devices (like that MyBook), shut down as much running software as possible.

Have you run the windows Memory diagnostic utility... the program is Mdsched.exe (in the system 32 folder)?

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Paul 2014 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the advise but it didn't work, I would like to take advantage of this moment to share my experience with the Cyberlink technical support, I previously heard from several people that their support was horrible and now I can testify, after weeks trying to run the Trial version before I would purchase anything they have shown to be completely useless, nevertheless after several support tickets on which I referred to be using the Trial version they started to ask for my proof of purchase and all that bs that they can't find my e-mail on their database, how many times do I have to tell them that I'm not going to buy a piece of software that doesn't even start on my computer, they just don't seem to get it, the replies look just like automated responses from a cheap tech support in India.
Thanks everyone,
Paul
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry to hear. But there are some system configurations that software just doesn't want to behave on. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
donbroadband
Member Location: Caldy, Wirral UK Joined: Aug 06, 2009 06:04 Messages: 119 Offline
[Post New]
Paul,
A number of us run I7 with 64 bit win7 - its fine. I am unable to access your DXdiag, but could I ask why you rebuilt your system?
My thoughts on this would be as follows (based on this really (now) being a new system):
1. Are all the drivers OK (I am including the system borad drivers)
2. Did you do an absolutely clean install of PD8 that is get rid of any old Cyberlink folders/PD8 dll etc?

I had problems with PD8, if I install it AFTER I have changed the Video drivers. I always have to reinstall the Nvidia drivers
(I use a 4870 GPU)

Version 3022 in my experience is pretty solid. I now very rarely get crashes.

I agree with your comments regarding first line support - thay can be "difficult"

I am very wary of all code that messes with the registry (cccleaner, regmechanic etc.)
they have caused me terrible problems in the past by deleting keys that were needed!

Good Luck,

Don Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Mike [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2010 07:34 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having this problem on my 64 Bit windows 7 PC however it is fine on my laptop which is running 32 bit windows 7. I was going to buy this later this week but now I won't be.

Am I correct in assuming it is because I am running a 64 bit OS as it just says on the requirements page that it only runs on windows 7 and usually if a product supports 64bit it says that is does.
Paul 2014 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Welcome to the show, I submitted several trouble tickets but none of the resolution steps they asked me to perform solved the issue and my trial is now gone, I ended up not buying the software at all.
I wish I could help, good luck!
Paul
REZA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2010 22:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem!

My system: Dell xps 8100; 12GB dram; i7-870; GTX470

Appcrash in ntdll.dll at startup.

Tried:
1) cleanm install, including registry wipe.
2) reinstall nvidia drivers.
3) memory check.

No dice.

Now what should I try?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mike,

You wrote:
I'm having this problem on my 64 Bit windows 7 PC however it is fine on my laptop which is running 32 bit windows 7. I was going to buy this later this week but now I won't be.

Am I correct in assuming it is because I am running a 64 bit OS as it just says on the requirements page that it only runs on windows 7 and usually if a product supports 64 bit it says that is does.

It isn't a problem running PD8 on a 64-bit platform, PD8 simply installs in the 32-bit "Program folder". It runs reliably on my system and has since February of this year when I converted to that 64 bit OS system. If you are having trouble with PD8 on the 64-bit PC....then the problem is not because of the 64-bit variable. If PD8 didn't run in a 64-bit environment the forum would be filled with very angry people, and it isn't so far...well not due to that reason!! It is not working because of some other factor.

donbroadband provided some steps to take that may work for you. Unfortunately a similar problem can have different causes. It isn't always the same for each person because every PC is unique due to its specific hardware setup and installed software. Quite often a problem is corrected when the user goes back through some of the corrective steps and discovers that a crucial step was overlooked. I have been guilty of that many times.

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
FJA2010 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2010 13:41 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have similiar problem, PD8 crashes whenever I try to use Titles (create or edit a Title) or try to Produce a video, and on many other things.
I was able to creat a project (without any titles) without the program crashing, burt I can't get beyond that.
The email support has been worthless since I have not received a reply to my two messages about PD8 crashinig all the time. I reinstalled it but it made no difference.
I was hoping to see some response from a technical support person in this forum, but where are they?
I have Win 7 Ultimate 64, and a Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz 8GB mem, ATI Radeon HD4650 and Blu-Ray RW
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
BHi FJA2010,
This isn't a technical support led forum. we are a user led forum.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/list.page
This is a forum for CyberLink members to discuss and share their users' experience. CyberLink customer support will not reply in the forum regarding the technical issues.

Here are a few posts to read: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7979.page So you know what information to provide.

for technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

I've noted your issues. Look to update your drivers although I'm sure you have.

Dafydd