Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Feel free to ignore this comment but thanks so much for sharing this workaround. This is a great application but has it's strange quirks for sure. Why you can't save the duration with the template is a baffling choice IMO. Often times if I have too many key frames defined the splice method doesn't work either as it just seems to "give up" trying to sequence it out to less than 10 seconds and just blanks out (my default is set to 10 seconds). I pretty much end up making a title from scratch everytime anyway because the templates are so finicky.

I'm fairly new to it so it's possible I'm doing something wrong but I've been having fun working around these things. Heck, sometimes while trying to figure out a workaround I end up creating something really cool looking.

Yes, it seems a bit lame that one cannot simply change the overall length of a title in the title editor. I did find this little trick though.

You can insert a title on the timeline, stretch it to the duration you want then split it. If you do not change the original length the timing on the title will remain the same up to the split point. Then it simply ends. Any features after the split are not included. This segment can then be edited as a title with the new length.

The second part of the split title is like the original but shorter and can also be edited and saved with its new length.

So if you want to make non-linear adjustments to the timing of all the features in a title that is too long do this:

1. Edit the title and adjust the timing of each element as desired.

2. Optionally save as...

3. Insert onto timeline

4. split at desired end time.

5. Edit the first portion of the title from the timeline

6. Save as your adjusted template.

If the new title you wish to create is longer than the original

1. Place the title on the timeline

2. Adjust the length to your desired time

3. Repeat steps starting at 1 from above.

Quote I assume your comment "constantly rendering the preview" simply referrs to the process of the timeline being decode to the preview window vs any "Render preview" PD options. If so, I'm not sure why CL removed it from the "Set preview quality" under the preview window, but if you set preview quality in pref > Display you have access to both a Normal and a Low setting vs the 4 options you listed. The low setting can reduce the rendering to the preview load significantly.

One can also undoc the preview window, and then minimize it, essentially the preview is disabled. With this you have no timeline playback capability but can scrub the timeline, edit PIP's since the designer windows have their own preview,....so on.

Jeff

Yes! Thanks! I'm new to this so am still learning. Ok, first of all, it's wierd that there's no way to close the preview window, right? Now, why did they hide the lower res options in there? Anyway, thanks for the help!
Quote I guess that we are all wondering and trying to guess what it is you are really experiencing? Unless you press the render preview button (all the time), for which there is no reason other than to “quickly” see how a large number of complex changes to the clips will look like when played as a video in the preview screen, the process and displaying of small edits as you state, does not take much time and PD allows -to my experience- a very reasonable fast editing process, even when keyframes are being used and a fair number of effects and other alterations to the clips.
But maybe we overlook something, so can you explain what kind of editing you do, what type of input material, how many tracks and what kind and how many effects and keyframes? It would also be good to understand what kind of computer you use to do this editing? There are many factors that can be of influence of a speedy editing process.

Sorry, I didn't expect to actually get replies. Thanks so much! I ended up figuring a workaround.

I agree there are likely a lot of factors, I figured a way to work around it so no worries. I guess my core question is why it's not possible to close the preview pane? Then led me to, why is there a 'Non Real-time Preview' option which doesn't seem to work. Then why is there a 'Render Preview' checkbox in the options which, when unchecked, also doesn't seem to do anything.

Please don't misunderstand my post as being ornery. I was simply racking my brain: why no way to close the preview?
Quote I guess that we are all wondering and trying to guess what it is you are really experiencing? Unless you press the render preview button (all the time), for which there is no reason other than to “quickly” see how a large number of complex changes to the clips will look like when played as a video in the preview screen, the process and displaying of small edits as you state, does not take much time and PD allows -to my experience- a very reasonable fast editing process, even when keyframes are being used and a fair number of effects and other alterations to the clips.
But maybe we overlook something, so can you explain what kind of editing you do, what type of input material, how many tracks and what kind and how many effects and keyframes? It would also be good to understand what kind of computer you use to do this editing? There are many factors that can be of influence of a speedy editing process.

Thanks so much for the response! My question was more of a suggestion. It just seems strange to me that there isn't a close button on the preview pane. This led me to the next part of the question, why does the 'Non Real-time preview' option just mute the sound? I have questions abound!! XD

I really like this application though, that's why I cared enough to post a question on this forum so I'm not complaining. Also, it's fine if you don't know, i figured out how to work around it so I'm good.

Since you are a computer science guy, you are not making sense here. Go to the Preferences/General and uncheck the Render a preview…

I forgot I posted this, I didn't think I'd get replies. I truly do appreciate that you take the time out of your day to visit these forums to help with the application but I think you're attitude could use some work. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Anyway, the checkbox doesn't work.
Hello. Sometimes I actually want to do a lot of small edits and clipping them together. I've found that, even with my fairly high end rig, there is a lot of slow down the more edits I put.

I'm a computer science guy so I can't imagine why the editor itself would be having trouble since an 'cut' would just be a value in the save file and shouldn't require any additional processing to store or change the value of a number. I can only guess that it's probably the preview. Other applications I've tried allow you to REALLY lower the resolution of the preview. However, in Powerdirector, for some reason, there's only these four options:

Ultra HD Preview Resolution
Full HD Preview Resolution
HD Preview Resolution
High Preview Resolution

There's also this 'non Real-Time Preview' option however, it's still doing all the processing in 'pseudo-real time' as I navigate through the timeline. It seems like all the non-realtime preview option does is turn off the audio so not sure the point of that (I usually mute all the audio anyway). It doesn't really make sense that the non-real-time refers to the audio and not the video, but I digress....

I've chosen the 'High' one but there's still a lot of latency why the preview loads. It's fine, I get it, there's a lot to process. This leads me to my question though. Is there a way to disable the preview completely? It seems like a waste of energy to have this application constantly rendering the preview when I end up minimising it to the point of it being pointless so I can focus on what I'm doing.

Again, this isn't really an issue per-se. I have a fairly nice rig so don't really have an issue, it's more of an annoyance that you have an option to reduce the quality and all these other options around the preview when all I want to do is turn it off.

This is actually double bad when doing the key frames. The act of moving to the next frame takes about 5 seconds to process ALL the layers of stuff I have even though I don't care what it looks like yet. I want to just add the key frames (which should be a super fast process) then see what that section looks like, tinker a bit, then see it as a whole. I can't imagine anyone is editing frame by frame and wondering what each frame looks like (that doesn't make sense - film is moving pictures). Usually people probably define the keyframes and then look at the WHOLE thing so it's strange that the application continues to insist on rendering everything all the time.

Also, yes, to solve this issue I usually just make many small projects and render them separately and then bring them together for the final bit which is much better. However, it's really clunky since after puting it all together, I'm kind of stuck with what comes out of each module unless I want to go back into the sub project and tinker with it then re-render, etc... All of this could be solved by turning off the preview.

Thanks!
Go to: