Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
BTW CubbyHouseFilms, Melbourne is one of my favourite cities. Just watched your Melbourne vid. Bet its changed rather since I visited 10 years ago! http://www.veletron.com/php/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=9622
I did indeed mean ffdshow and not ffmpeg. I have edited my post
Hi

Yes, I realise that. but K-Lite must include something else in addition to ffmpeg, be that different default config, or additional codecs. 'Installing plain-old ffmpeg stand-alone did not fix' is perhaps what I should have stated.

Nigel

Hi

I have a headcam that saves 1080P or 720P to H264 MOV files video bitrate: 11,500kbit/sec. I would like to edit these in PD10, and output the results to Vimeo (plus) while retaining best video quality.

Any idea what best output codec for this would be (while maintaining max quality). I would rather it did not transcode all the source content, but rather just transcode the bit it has to (i.e the bits with effects/captions etc).

Video card is a an AMD HD6670 IIRC

From my own (subjective) tests the built in MP4 1080P, 12,000Kbit/sec output seems to be the best bet and results in a slightly quicker than realtime output file with the encoding performed by the above video card.

My understanding is that MOV and MP4, M2TS are just containers, and that they both contain H264 video at a certain bitrate. WMV is also just an H264 container, but the bitrate is fixed (and lower than the source material), and custom presets not poss with WMV. Is my understanding correct?! Can PD10 output to MKV (the format used for Bluray?)

Nigel
Hi

Just an update. Now works.

- Reinstalling latest quicktime did not fix
- Installing ffdshow did not fix
- Installing k-lite codec pack did fix

Still rather odd all-told since quicktime player plays video files fine (thus I can say that decoder works), PD10 should have been able to use this codec.

Anyway, at least I am editing again!

Cairngorms, Scotland Ski-Touring: http://vimeo.com/41560064 (excuse my editing skills!)

Thanks to all for the assistance, I've cancelled cyberlink support request.

Nigel
Quote:

On a rather cold & windy night in Melbun did u manage to have a look at my last post

Thanks, Will check out your suggestions tonight when back at the offensive machine !!

(said PC came close to being hoofed out the window the other day!)

Nigel
Hi

I originally had the latest QT from apple installed when I came upon the issue. I uninstalled, rebooted and then installed the version from the PD10 CD in the hope that this would fix. It didn't! I'll retry the latest QT from Apple tonight. I'll also try installing PD10 on a nice clean VM in case the machine has gotten messed up.

Nigel
Hi

Well that's true enough, I am a programmer myself (low level kernel drivers and firmware). I work in an area where a coding error on a PC results in a BSOD, and unhappy customers. I also work in healthcare where firmware/driver coding issues could have an 'undesirable' outcome! Sometimes I wish that those working on usermode code had a similar concern for coding errors as I do, but alas the outcome of issues in usermode code does not (usually) crash the entire system so folks put up with it. There appears to be a mentality of ship what we have, and fix it later via an update. I think I would rather they got things more 'right' from the outset.

With the mish-mash of hardware/software, its a blooming miracle that PC's work as well as they do!

Nigel
The Drift HD is neat and tidy, but the video quality is not as good as the older drift. The older Drift HD170 Stealth can be had for £125 off Amazon.co.uk. Alas the older drift is bigger and lacking the replaceable lens, but on the plus side, the older drift will take an 'extended' 1700mAh battery giving ~4 hours of recording time.

A video from the older drift is here: http://vimeo.com/30210112. It is 720P (older cam does to 1080P too tho). Quality in the flesh is better, Vimeo recompresses (but it aint as bad as when you-tube re compresses!)

Nigel

Hi

Thanks for your input people. It does look like a codec issue. I thought cyberlink would have installed the codecs for popular video formats.

- The 720P video's that *do* import come from an older drift camera.
- I am on the latest version of Powerdirector (march patch)
- I have the latest version of quicktime installed
- The 1080P videos that wont import play back fine in both quicktime player and windows media player
- Older video driver was due to a bug in AMD driver in a later version that meant that AMD's media converter did not work. They might have since fixed this.

I will take a look at FFDSHOW (which I don't have installed on this machine), and also the codec pack.

Thanks

Nigel
Hi

I have logged a ticket for this, but Cyberlink have not bothered to respond. I was hoping that maybe someone here could help.

I have PD10 with all the latest updates. I am unable to import H264 1080P mov files. The files came from a Drift HD helmet-camera. It will import some older 720P mov files that I have.

When I try to import the failing mov files, I get an error shown in the attachments 'an error occurred while opening this media file in the media library'. I can confirm that there is nothing wrong with the mov file. It plays back just fine using other programs on the PC, on an ipad and on an android phone. Its PD10 being annoying.

I have tried the suggestions posted here: http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=12811&prodId=4&prodVerId=930 They did not solve the issue.

I have placed a sample file (that fails to import) at: http://scratch.veletron.com/wontimport.mov (2.7MB) Maybe someone here can try it on their system?

Any help much appreciated. Currently PD10 is looking to be pretty useless for my requirements!

Nigel
Go to: