Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD10 wont import MOV files (SOLVED)
veletron [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2012 16:58 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I have logged a ticket for this, but Cyberlink have not bothered to respond. I was hoping that maybe someone here could help.

I have PD10 with all the latest updates. I am unable to import H264 1080P mov files. The files came from a Drift HD helmet-camera. It will import some older 720P mov files that I have.

When I try to import the failing mov files, I get an error shown in the attachments 'an error occurred while opening this media file in the media library'. I can confirm that there is nothing wrong with the mov file. It plays back just fine using other programs on the PC, on an ipad and on an android phone. Its PD10 being annoying.

I have tried the suggestions posted here: http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=12811&prodId=4&prodVerId=930 They did not solve the issue.

I have placed a sample file (that fails to import) at: http://scratch.veletron.com/wontimport.mov (2.7MB) Maybe someone here can try it on their system?

Any help much appreciated. Currently PD10 is looking to be pretty useless for my requirements!

Nigel
[Thumb - PD10_error.jpg]
 Filename
PD10_error.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD10 Error importing movs
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
548 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 07. 2012 17:01

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Worked no problems in both the library and the timeline on my DM1z.Do you have the latest build of PD (1424c)?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 01. 2012 19:47

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
If the files play on other players straight from the Camera or cameras SD card...then I would assume that maybe the camera mov file has its own format...that said if the camera came with software to transfer from camera to pc I would do that and see if it gives an option on the transfer forat. I got some files of a friends Camcorde for some DVd work but PD wouldn't recognize so I had to borrow his camcorder and use that models transfer utility to get PD to read them.
Jim
p.s Just a suggestion Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Like Barry, it imports and works fine on my system.

Doesn't really help you with your problem, but does indicate that the files should be fine and that PD will work with them.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi veletron -

Sorry you're having issues. I doubt if I can help either, because (like Hal & Barry) the .MOV clip imports & runs fine on my PD10.

Are the "old" 720p videos from the same camera?

Attached is MediaInfo report from the .MOV file you uploaded. I can't see anything unusual in it.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
wontimport.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
453 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 01. 2012 20:55

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Veletron

Welcome to the volunteer forum

I have just looked up one of the Drift Instruction Manuals and it states:

"B) Playing the video footage on a Computer

1. Some computers may not have the correct codecs required for video playback and
editing.

2. If you experience difficulties playing video recorded with your camera, you can
download VLC media player for free from www.videolan.org

3. If you are experiencing difficulties editing video or do not wish to use VLC player for
playback, you will need to download and install a codec pack. The FFDshow codec
pack can be downloaded from http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

4. Do not forget that to play HD video files on your computer you require a computer
with a modern video card and plenty of RAM."

NOTE: IF THE LINK DOES NOT WORK TRY THIS ONE http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

Great looking camera BTW

Hope this helps

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at May 02. 2012 02:02

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried updating QuickTime? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
It wouldn't import before or after installing FFDShow. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
After installing the K-Lite Codec Pack Full version, I was able to import the file.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2012 01:19

Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I would suggest:
1. Download from Apple the latest QT
2. Uninstall via the Control Panel the version of QT currently installed
3. Install of QT.

I don't think the codec packs should be needed if you have the latest QT installed, the codec used in the camera is an Apple one. I do have FFDshow installed.

I like the camera by the way. One of the camera's i have is a ContourHD. The DriftHD differs by having, an LCD screen (wow), x4 zoom, external mic and a remote control. I'm not so keen on the 170 degree wide angle for a wide 1080 display. I would be tempted to stretch the screen area like at the cinema and give a fuller but flatter panoramic view, thus giving peripheral vision without the distortion showing.

Thanks for the sample.

If you still have problems, come back to us.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2012 04:27

veletron [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi

Thanks for your input people. It does look like a codec issue. I thought cyberlink would have installed the codecs for popular video formats.

- The 720P video's that *do* import come from an older drift camera.
- I am on the latest version of Powerdirector (march patch)
- I have the latest version of quicktime installed
- The 1080P videos that wont import play back fine in both quicktime player and windows media player
- Older video driver was due to a bug in AMD driver in a later version that meant that AMD's media converter did not work. They might have since fixed this.

I will take a look at FFDSHOW (which I don't have installed on this machine), and also the codec pack.

Thanks

Nigel
veletron [Avatar]
[Post New]
The Drift HD is neat and tidy, but the video quality is not as good as the older drift. The older Drift HD170 Stealth can be had for £125 off Amazon.co.uk. Alas the older drift is bigger and lacking the replaceable lens, but on the plus side, the older drift will take an 'extended' 1700mAh battery giving ~4 hours of recording time.

A video from the older drift is here: http://vimeo.com/30210112. It is 720P (older cam does to 1080P too tho). Quality in the flesh is better, Vimeo recompresses (but it aint as bad as when you-tube re compresses!)

Nigel

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The 1080P videos that wont import play back fine in both quicktime player and windows media player

Nigel -

I'm no expert on how codecs function within the OS, but we've seen many cases where videos play correctly in other players or NLEs, but cannot import into PD. I think of it as PD being unable to access the necessary codecs. What works or doesn't work on different PCs involves so many variables in the operating environment.

Dafydd -

The QT procedure is the "solution" Nigel tried here http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=12811&prodId=4&prodVerId=930

On a related issue, I submitted a support ticket to CL in October last year requesting official clarification on the K-Lite issue (i.e. whether it's the demon it's made out to be) The reply I received stated that my question had been escalated - but that is where it stopped. I guess no one at CyberLink really knows.

Cheers - Tony

veletron [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi

Well that's true enough, I am a programmer myself (low level kernel drivers and firmware). I work in an area where a coding error on a PC results in a BSOD, and unhappy customers. I also work in healthcare where firmware/driver coding issues could have an 'undesirable' outcome! Sometimes I wish that those working on usermode code had a similar concern for coding errors as I do, but alas the outcome of issues in usermode code does not (usually) crash the entire system so folks put up with it. There appears to be a mentality of ship what we have, and fix it later via an update. I think I would rather they got things more 'right' from the outset.

With the mish-mash of hardware/software, its a blooming miracle that PC's work as well as they do!

Nigel
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,
Thanks for pointing out the QT had already been raised/tried.
However, you should note that I suggested downloading QT the full build from Apple and not to run the PD supplied QT installer as per the FAQ directions.
I suggested that method as opposed to the FAQ you linked to: http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=12811&prodId=4&prodVerId=930
because the installer would not be the latest, the camera is relatively new and would require the latest codecs Apple had with QT to read the mov file. Uninstalling as opposed to overwriting with an update will hopefully ensure the latest codec's are installed. the problem with codec packs is they can install inferior drivers that do not assist and can cause more problems for end users. They are not always the best solution for new cameras and new codecs.

K-lite contains a codec pack with proprietary and non-proprietary drivers - a third party product. The PD9 readme had a warning regarding the installation of K-Lite. I believe in PD7/8 the Haali (portion of K-Lite) caused end user issues/conflicts. I think the question which should be asked is: Do you need to install a codec pack? For the most part I think the answer is no.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 02. 2012 05:31

veletron [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi

I originally had the latest QT from apple installed when I came upon the issue. I uninstalled, rebooted and then installed the version from the PD10 CD in the hope that this would fix. It didn't! I'll retry the latest QT from Apple tonight. I'll also try installing PD10 on a nice clean VM in case the machine has gotten messed up.

Nigel

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2012 05:57

babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
An open question
There are so many posts where PD refuses to start because of QT or like the poster above,MOV fails to open.
Why cant PD bundle these as a package or take us to the site to install codecs during installation. PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

ynotfish
[Post New]
Dafydd -

Yes - agreed - the PD installer wouldn't necessarily contain the latest QT. I see your point.

I have no wish to hijack this thread. I raised the K-Lite question because it came up, by your implication.

The PD9 ReadMe file does not have a specific recommendation against using K-LIte. Point 16 states:
Failed to install due to QuickTime not being installed, in some cases, CyberLink PowerDirector 9 cannot be successfully installed because the previous step of QuickTime installation wasn't completed. This may be due to there are other third party codecs that installed QuickTime alternative codecs, such as the Storm Codec or K-Lite Codec Pack. We suggest that you uninstall these codec packs, and install the official Apple QuickTime 7 Player. After QuickTime is installed, try installing CyberLink PowerDirector 9 again.

K-Lite (in fact) installs the official QT codec - but without the QT player. K-Lite installs an inferior driver??? The ReadMe file simply uses K-Lite as an example.

People may have opinions about what to do or what not to do. These ought to be offered as opinions, not facts. Obviously, CL tech support doesn't have a clear answer or it would have been communicated by now.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2012 14:53

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
I would suggest:
1. Download from Apple the latest QT
2. Uninstall via the Control Panel the version of QT currently installed
3. Install of QT.

I don't think the codec packs should be needed if you have the latest QT installed, the codec used in the camera is an Apple one. I do have FFDshow installed.

I like the camera by the way. One of the camera's i have is a ContourHD. The DriftHD differs by having, an LCD screen (wow), x4 zoom, external mic and a remote control. I'm not so keen on the 170 degree wide angle for a wide 1080 display. I would be tempted to stretch the screen area like at the cinema and give a fuller but flatter panoramic view, thus giving peripheral vision without the distortion showing.

Thanks for the sample.

If you still have problems, come back to us.

Dafydd

Tony,

I'm not aware of any implication in my initial post or reference to K-Lite. If you're addressing what I wrote regarding a codec pack then the paragraph would be this: I don't think the codec packs should be needed if you have the latest QT installed, the codec used in the camera is an Apple one. I do have FFDshow installed.

Please don't attribute "implications" when I haven't made any nor have I intended to. I believe Xerox raised both FFDshow and K-Lite. My sentence "I do have FFDshow installed." was merely an observation and an admittance that I had a codec pack installed on my system.

Thanks

Dafydd
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi

I originally had the latest QT from apple installed when I came upon the issue. I uninstalled, rebooted and then installed the version from the PD10 CD in the hope that this would fix. It didn't! I'll retry the latest QT from Apple tonight. I'll also try installing PD10 on a nice clean VM in case the machine has gotten messed up.

Nigel

On a rather cold & windy night in Melbun did u manage to have a look at my last post Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!