Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

Yes, it IS the same issue....When I searched, I searched for problems related to title templates because that's the only thing I'd tried so far that hadn't worked. So, I didn't see that thread.

The user wagnerb in that thread is correct...it's a problem that could be avoided if they used relative paths when they wrote the code...like pretty much everyone else does...

But, while I'd like to see a real solution, I'm able to work around it. That'll do for now.
OK, I've figured out the cause of the problem...

In 'MY' specific case, I'm working on a PC that is joined to a Windows domain. And, because of the way that domain works, when I log on, my "My Documents" folder is redirected to the server. On a normal home user's PC, My Documents is simply another folder on your hard drive! For me, it's on the network. Why do I have it setup this way? Well, it's because whenever I log onto my home network, no matter which PC I'm using (there are several), I always have the same thing on my desktop, and in My Documents.

After you install Powerdirector 10 and start it up the first time, it creates a folder inside your 'My Documents' folder called 'Cyberlink'. And inside the ..\cyberlink\powerdirector\10.0\ folder is another folder called My Titles. THIS is where PD stored new and modified title templates. On most people's PC's, this is where the folder would be...

c:\users\{username}\My Documents\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\10.0\My Titles

But, on MY pc, this folder does not exist...because the whole 'My Documents' folder resides on my server instead of on my local hard drive. And Powerdirector is not 'aware' of this, so it cannot create the 'Cyberlink' folder, or any of the subfolders within it.

So, whenever I try to create my own title template, PD tries to save the files for that new template into the 'My Titles' folder, but it errors out because that folder doesn't exist!

I doubt that Cyberlink will have a solution to this problem for me...admittedly it's probably something that only a few folks will ever run across...I mean, how many people have Microsoft AD domains at home...and how many of THOSE use redirected folders? If I'm surprised at anything, it's that I've never run into this problem before now...

Fortunately, I can work around it simply by logging onto my computer as a local user, instead of a domain user. When I do that, all the problems with PD seem to go away. And I can still connect to my server to get to network files if I need them, it's just less convenient because I have to log into it as a separate step.

I apologize for boring most of you with this long explanation. I provide it for reference, in case anyone else has this problem in the future. And also because John (giddyuphorsey), who is contemplating a purchase, might find that his problem is similar to mine...I say this because he said his My Docs was in a different spot...perhaps for the same reason...

Thanks,
Art
The backup to which I restored was made before I'd installed the anti-virus (I had completely reloaded my machine a week or so ago in preparation for this project I'm working on, so the backup had been made right after the initial installation of windows, office and all the drivers and critical updates). So, I was able to load PD without AVG loaded at all, and that didn't make a difference.

As to the 'My Documents' question... My home environment is a Windows 2003 domain, of which my PC is a member. And I have a group policy that redirects the user's 'My Documents' and desktop to a location the server. That way, no matter which PC we log into, we always have the same 'My Documents' and desktop. But, since I don't want video editing files anywhere except on the PC where I do the editing, I changed the locations of the Import, Export, and Autosave folders to ones I'd created on the hard drive in my PC that is dedicated to PD10. It didn't occur to me that this (or more specifically, that 'my documents' is not in the normal location) might be causing the problem. I'll look into that...Thanks John!

Art
A complete uninstall and re-install did not fix my problem. It behaved exactly the same way as it did before.

So, I then restored my computer using the disk image made a couple days before I installed PD... and did another clean install. Same result. I have to believe it's something I'm doing wrong, or a setting I have incorrect. Maybe it's trying to save the new template somewhere it can't... I'll keep trying to figure it out.

At this point, it's an annoyance... I can modify existing title templates as I use them. But that's going to get old, I bet.

Art

Hi Tony...Thanks for the reply...

I can easily uninstall PD... In fact, I can restore my system to immediately before it was installed, if that would be preferable. But I'm not sure what 'Revo Uninstaller' is... Is this a program to uninstall PD, or is it a program that scrubs the registry AFTER a normal uninstall of PD (i.e., via control panel/programs and features/uninstall)?

I only installed PD yesterday...I would not lose anything of significance by uninstalling PD, or by restoring the system for that matter.

Thanks again for the prompt response!

Art
Hi,

I'm trying to create and save a new title template. I can create it easily enough, but when I try to click 'Save As', I get an error that says "the parameter is incorrect". Specifically, I do the following...

A. in the Title room, I click the "create a new title template" icon at the top
B. I select '2D title'
C. I make the changes to the font, animation, time, etc (it does not matter what changes I make, or if I make any at all from what opens in the title designer window).
D. I click 'Save As' at the bottom of the Title Designer window
E. In the 'Save As Template' window, I enter a name (tried many variations, no difference), and click OK

As soon as I click OK, the error appears. I've attached a screen shot to this post.

What's more, if I then clear the error and click 'cancel' to exit the Title Designer window, I get a popup telling me the imported template's aspect ratio is wrong. I've also included a screenshot of this message.

PowerDirector itself is not crashing or hanging. I can use existing templates, I just cannot create any new ones.

I am NOT using a trial version of PD. I am using a licensed version, PD 10 Ultra, 10.0.0.1129b.

My system: AMD Phenom II X4 970 proc., 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX580 graphics card. OS: Windows 7 Enterprise, 64 bit. My anti-virus is AVG Anti-virus 2012 (purchased, not the free version). My system is stable.

I was using Microsoft Movie Maker 2.6 and Microsoft Windows Live Movie Maker prior to purchasing PD10. Both of those programs have been uninstalled. The only other video program on my system is GoPro Cineform Studio, which prior to buying PD 10 I had to have to convert raw video from my GoPro camera to a format Windows Movie Maker could use.

Sorry if this is a dumb noobie question... I have read the user's guide, but of course it doesn't help me in this case. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks,
Art
Go to: