Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot save new title template
ACL3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2012 15:16 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm trying to create and save a new title template. I can create it easily enough, but when I try to click 'Save As', I get an error that says "the parameter is incorrect". Specifically, I do the following...

A. in the Title room, I click the "create a new title template" icon at the top
B. I select '2D title'
C. I make the changes to the font, animation, time, etc (it does not matter what changes I make, or if I make any at all from what opens in the title designer window).
D. I click 'Save As' at the bottom of the Title Designer window
E. In the 'Save As Template' window, I enter a name (tried many variations, no difference), and click OK

As soon as I click OK, the error appears. I've attached a screen shot to this post.

What's more, if I then clear the error and click 'cancel' to exit the Title Designer window, I get a popup telling me the imported template's aspect ratio is wrong. I've also included a screenshot of this message.

PowerDirector itself is not crashing or hanging. I can use existing templates, I just cannot create any new ones.

I am NOT using a trial version of PD. I am using a licensed version, PD 10 Ultra, 10.0.0.1129b.

My system: AMD Phenom II X4 970 proc., 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX580 graphics card. OS: Windows 7 Enterprise, 64 bit. My anti-virus is AVG Anti-virus 2012 (purchased, not the free version). My system is stable.

I was using Microsoft Movie Maker 2.6 and Microsoft Windows Live Movie Maker prior to purchasing PD10. Both of those programs have been uninstalled. The only other video program on my system is GoPro Cineform Studio, which prior to buying PD 10 I had to have to convert raw video from my GoPro camera to a format Windows Movie Maker could use.

Sorry if this is a dumb noobie question... I have read the user's guide, but of course it doesn't help me in this case. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks,
Art
[Thumb - Powerdirector Template Creation Error.jpg]
 Filename
Powerdirector Template Creation Error.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Error received when attempting to save new title template
 Filesize
500 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
392 time(s)
[Thumb - Powerdirector Template Creation Error 2.jpg]
 Filename
Powerdirector Template Creation Error 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Error that appears when I cancel the Title Designer window
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
390 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Art -

You haven't asked a dumb question at all. You've followed the correct procedure (from your description) & PowerDirector has failed to live up to its part of the bargain!

Following the same steps on my PD10 yields a new title template, as you'd expect yours to do.

It's NOTHING to do with a failure in your PC or the installation of other video editing software. Your PD has a glitch.

Since you're getting that unwarranted error message consistently, I'd do a complete uninstall/re-install. Use Revo Uninstaller. You may as well re-install WMM & WMML while you're at it.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ACL3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony...Thanks for the reply...

I can easily uninstall PD... In fact, I can restore my system to immediately before it was installed, if that would be preferable. But I'm not sure what 'Revo Uninstaller' is... Is this a program to uninstall PD, or is it a program that scrubs the registry AFTER a normal uninstall of PD (i.e., via control panel/programs and features/uninstall)?

I only installed PD yesterday...I would not lose anything of significance by uninstalling PD, or by restoring the system for that matter.

Thanks again for the prompt response!

Art
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Art -

You could try a system restore, but I doubt whether that would fix the issue with PD.

Revo is just third party software for uninstalling any software (not just PD), including removing registry entries. The control panel route doesn't do that. CCleaner does much the same thing with its uninstaller tool.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html (I only use the freeware version)
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Even if you uninstall PD in 6 months, you won't lose your projects or customised effects (like title templates) - they're stored elsewhere on the PC.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ACL3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
A complete uninstall and re-install did not fix my problem. It behaved exactly the same way as it did before.

So, I then restored my computer using the disk image made a couple days before I installed PD... and did another clean install. Same result. I have to believe it's something I'm doing wrong, or a setting I have incorrect. Maybe it's trying to save the new template somewhere it can't... I'll keep trying to figure it out.

At this point, it's an annoyance... I can modify existing title templates as I use them. But that's going to get old, I bet.

Art

GiddyUpHorsey [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Wellington Joined: Jan 12, 2012 08:24 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I am experiencing this exact problem. So was another user back in September (http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/posts/list/4603970.page).

I am using PowerDirector 10 Trial 10.0.0.1129a. I installed it 3 days ago. I'm considering buying PowerDirector, but with a bug like this and no current solution, I will be holding onto my money for now.

My system is:
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
GeForce GTS 450
8GB RAM
Phenom II X4 925 2.8 Ghz

Interestingly, like Art I'm also running AVG Anti-Virus 2012, but it is the Free Edition. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

GiddyUpHorsey [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, I tried disabling AVG as described here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsDZMy2Mq_M. No luck however, I still get an error when saving a new title template.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 12. 2012 09:15

GiddyUpHorsey [Avatar]
[Post New]
Art

Where is your My Documents folder located? Is it at the default location of c:\users\<logonname>?

Mine isn't, and I suspect that might have something to do with it judging by what I could see in ProcessMon when trying to save a new title template.

John
ACL3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The backup to which I restored was made before I'd installed the anti-virus (I had completely reloaded my machine a week or so ago in preparation for this project I'm working on, so the backup had been made right after the initial installation of windows, office and all the drivers and critical updates). So, I was able to load PD without AVG loaded at all, and that didn't make a difference.

As to the 'My Documents' question... My home environment is a Windows 2003 domain, of which my PC is a member. And I have a group policy that redirects the user's 'My Documents' and desktop to a location the server. That way, no matter which PC we log into, we always have the same 'My Documents' and desktop. But, since I don't want video editing files anywhere except on the PC where I do the editing, I changed the locations of the Import, Export, and Autosave folders to ones I'd created on the hard drive in my PC that is dedicated to PD10. It didn't occur to me that this (or more specifically, that 'my documents' is not in the normal location) might be causing the problem. I'll look into that...Thanks John!

Art
ACL3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, I've figured out the cause of the problem...

In 'MY' specific case, I'm working on a PC that is joined to a Windows domain. And, because of the way that domain works, when I log on, my "My Documents" folder is redirected to the server. On a normal home user's PC, My Documents is simply another folder on your hard drive! For me, it's on the network. Why do I have it setup this way? Well, it's because whenever I log onto my home network, no matter which PC I'm using (there are several), I always have the same thing on my desktop, and in My Documents.

After you install Powerdirector 10 and start it up the first time, it creates a folder inside your 'My Documents' folder called 'Cyberlink'. And inside the ..\cyberlink\powerdirector\10.0\ folder is another folder called My Titles. THIS is where PD stored new and modified title templates. On most people's PC's, this is where the folder would be...

c:\users\{username}\My Documents\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\10.0\My Titles

But, on MY pc, this folder does not exist...because the whole 'My Documents' folder resides on my server instead of on my local hard drive. And Powerdirector is not 'aware' of this, so it cannot create the 'Cyberlink' folder, or any of the subfolders within it.

So, whenever I try to create my own title template, PD tries to save the files for that new template into the 'My Titles' folder, but it errors out because that folder doesn't exist!

I doubt that Cyberlink will have a solution to this problem for me...admittedly it's probably something that only a few folks will ever run across...I mean, how many people have Microsoft AD domains at home...and how many of THOSE use redirected folders? If I'm surprised at anything, it's that I've never run into this problem before now...

Fortunately, I can work around it simply by logging onto my computer as a local user, instead of a domain user. When I do that, all the problems with PD seem to go away. And I can still connect to my server to get to network files if I need them, it's just less convenient because I have to log into it as a separate step.

I apologize for boring most of you with this long explanation. I provide it for reference, in case anyone else has this problem in the future. And also because John (giddyuphorsey), who is contemplating a purchase, might find that his problem is similar to mine...I say this because he said his My Docs was in a different spot...perhaps for the same reason...

Thanks,
Art
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Same issue.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18725.page;jsessionid=F653333364AE3255745137C2E03ADBCC

Jeff
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I was not bored at all. This is a thread that should be noted, but I'm not sure where, it's such an isolated issue. Thanks so much for following up with the answers. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ACL3 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes, it IS the same issue....When I searched, I searched for problems related to title templates because that's the only thing I'd tried so far that hadn't worked. So, I didn't see that thread.

The user wagnerb in that thread is correct...it's a problem that could be avoided if they used relative paths when they wrote the code...like pretty much everyone else does...

But, while I'd like to see a real solution, I'm able to work around it. That'll do for now.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When I searched, I searched for problems related to title templates because that's the only thing I'd tried so far that hadn't worked. So, I didn't see that thread.

Not your fault, forum search results have been broken for months. Really does not matter what you search for the chance of finding something is nil.

Jeff
GiddyUpHorsey [Avatar]
[Post New]
Art, good on you for finding a workaround! I have logged on as a local user and can confirm that PowerDirector does work when trying to save a title template. It's not ideal for me, but it's good to know that something works.

My set up is similar to yours in that I am running a Windows Domain and have my "My Documents" folder redirected to a server share. I also have Offline Files enabled.

I've been using that set up for about 10 years and have never encountered any problems with software and redirected "My Documents" folders. This type of issue with PowerDirector is the first time I've ever seen something like that.

I will provide a little more info here because earlier I had logged a support ticket with Cyberlink and will direct them to this thread so that they can fix the bug.

----------------------------------

So last night when I was trying to figure out why PowerDirector was broken I ran SysInternals Process Monitor. I set it up to filter to just "PDR10.exe" and exclude "SUCCESS" results.

While trying to save a title template, I could see failures trying to access the MyTitles folder (see Step 1.gif). I had a look in my "My Documents" folder, and while there was a CyberLink folder, there was no PowerDirector folder. The CyberLink folder existed from a previous installation of PowerDVD from years ago.

So I created the PowerDirector\10.0\MyTitles sub folders and then retried creating a title template. This time I got different failures showing up in Process Monitor (see Step 2.gif). You will be able to see references to c:\Windows\CSC. That's related to Offline Files. It was at that point that it dawned on me that redirected "My Documents" and Offline Files is probably the cause, hence my question to Art about the location of his "My Documents" folder.

--------------------------------

Fixes

I think CyberLink should fix the issue with PowerDirector not working properly with redirected "My Documents" and Offline Files. All other software I've used works fine with it. So too, should PowerDirector.

PowerDirector should be able to have the locations for title templates and other "saveable" objects configurable. This feature already exists for changing import/export locations.

John
[Thumb - Step 2.gif]
 Filename
Step 2.gif
[Disk]
 Description
PowerDirector trying and failing to access Offline Files
 Filesize
67 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
386 time(s)
[Thumb - Step 1.gif]
 Filename
Step 1.gif
[Disk]
 Description
Failing to access MyTitles
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
397 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13. 2012 00:32

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
CyberLink Head Office, Customer Support have been provided details of this thread.

Forum Moderator
Ethan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 19, 2016 22:45 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry to bump this thread back up... But is there a way to change the destination of where titles are saved??

My PC runs 2 hard drives. One SSD that is for my OS and isn't very big, and then a 2nd drive for all my files.

I quickly ran out of room on the SSD having 14 installed on it, then reinstalled on my 2nd drive but still kept running out of room on my SSD and its all due to CyberLink defaulting to "My Documents."

Is there a way to change this??
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
HI Ethan,
Please start your own new topic. See guides at the start of the forum. The thread is 4.5 years old.
Thread closed.
Dafydd