Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I've used Powerdirector for years but I've moved to a new laptop (also Windows 10 to Window 11) and can't get it to run. OK, I'll just purchase the latest version. However, I see no option other than to pay around $60 per year. I'm not interested in ultimately paying hundreds of dollars for Powerdirector.

Is there no longer an option to purchase a non-subscription version?
Quote My editing needs are pretty simple, I'm not a pro by any means. I'm typically taking HD videos from a variety of sources and editing them down to smaller clips, then combining those smaller clips into one video. Highest resolution I'm editing to is typically 1080p. I'll add music soundtracks and intersperse some titles into the finished video, but that's about it.

I'm currently using my old Alienware M17x laptop (I am on the road a LOT so a laptop is required) which has an nVidia GTX 680m, 16 Gig of system RAM, and the CPU is a 3 or 4 year old Intel i7-3630QM @2.40 GHz. I think that's a dual core CPU.

It works OK for my work, a bit slow but OK.

This old machine is now breaking down and I am going to buy a new notebook. Since I travel so much, lightweight and long battery life is everything. I'll be getting a 1920x1080 display (I don't yet like some of the ways Windows 10 scales the 4K screens) so I'll be editing again at those levels.

There are a lot of options, and on any of them I'll be using the i7 Skylake (or perhaps the next gen i7 Kaby Lake quad core) dual core CPUs. But what is holding me back on the various options is the video card.

I can get a laptop with the nVidia Geforce GTX 1060 with 6G of RAm, but I give up battery life and weight. I can also get systems with nVidia Quadro M1000M, or systems simply with an Intel HD 520 or Intel Iris GPUs.

Right now the GPU is what is holding me back on choosing a system. For what I do, will any of those GPUs be fine? Or are any of those graphics options going to be problematic?

Thanks very much.

happy year of the rooster.

finally the kaby lake is here. if you haven't bought one to replace your old one then recommend this one ->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-INSPIRON-7567-GAMING-LAPTOP-i7-7700HQ-8GB-DDR4-1TB-SSHD-GEFORCE-GTX-1050Ti-/332082868607?hash=item4d51ae717f:g:BjAAAOSwUgNXPJYt

or this one ->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-INSPIRON-7567-GAMING-LAPTOP-i7-7700HQ-16GB-512G-SSD-GEFORCE-GTX-1050Ti-UHD-/232197232611?hash=item36100897e3:g:BjAAAOSwUgNXPJYt

p.s.

skylake only do HEVC 8 bit 4.2.0 hardware decode/encode

kaby lake does HEVC 10 bit 4.2.2 and 8/10 bit VP9 hardware decode/encode!

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks, those are both good looking machines. The other one I'm looking at is the Dell Precision 5510 (now 5520 with the Kaby Lake upgrade) - it's the business version of the XPS 15, with reported better quality control and stability, very light (about 4 pounds,) quad core Kaby Lake CPU, batter life in the 8-10 hours range (doing low impact stuff.) I'll compare those - they look to be less expensive.

I think I'm giving up on an ultrabook, as they all seem to be using dual core "U" version Kaby Lake CPUs. If someone had run PD or Premiere Elements 15 on either one and it ran well (I have both) and it ran well, that would be another story.

Thanks
Quote Check out the Passmark scores for the i7-5500u, i7-6500u, i7-7500u and check out the number of cores they have and the max tdp also.

The i7-3600QM Passmark score =7600 and has 4 cores with hyperthreading and can draw 3 times the power consumption of the i7-7500u which only has 2 cores with hyperthreaing and the max TDP is 1/3 that of the older i7.

Check out the i7-7Y75 too for passmark score, number of cores, max TDP and other parameters. The battery in the newer laptops can last longer and be made lighter and better.

Got it. So looking at light notebooks that do feature quad core i7s. looks like something like the i7-6820HQ is indeed faster, approximatel7 8700 on Passmark. TDP max is 45w, same as the one in my machine now, so I assume that results in lower battery life than the dual core systems.
Well, color me surprised. I assumed all the new CPUs such as the Skylake and Kaby Lake would be much faster than my 4 year old notebook CPU.

However -

My old notebook CPU = Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz - Passmark score = 7600

A representative new notebook CPU = Intel Core i7-7500U @ 2.70GHz - Passmark score = 5306.

How can a newest gen intel CPU be so much slower than the one in this old notebook????

Quote doc.

hope you had a nice thanksgiving.

use the info from the cpu benchmark.net to buy your next laptop.

now that you're better informed.

compare the cpu and gpu scores of your old and new one you're about to get...

higher the scores, generally faster the video rendering.

skylake, kabylake, scooter cannonball lake cpus are recommended for 4K video editing.

especially encoding and decoding HEVC H.265.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'
Quote For HD 1080p video a fast cpu means everything on a laptop pc. The gpu or hardware encoding for h.264 mp4 videos is not necessary at all.

Do remember that 1080p60 h.264 encoding was about 2x faster than cpu encoding with Intel HD 5500 graphics in a previous 1 minute test.

Thanks, I'm currently using PD 14 on an Alienware M17x notebook, old, which uses an Intel i7-3630QM @2.40 GHz CPU. The notebooks I will be getting to replace this all have the latest Skylake (and I'll probably wait for the Kaby Lake systems in the next couple of months.) So that will be quite a bit faster.

The GPU on this is an nVidia GTX680m. but PD 14 doesn't recognize it, so it uses the Intel HD4000 GPU.

While it would be nice to have a faster/smoother PD 14, to be honest it works pretty well now with this older system. So I assume a notebook with the faster Skylake or Kaby Lake CPUs and the faster Intel HD builtin GPUs should run at least as well as what I have now?
As I am searching for a new notebook to replace the one I have now (which is where I use PD 14) and as I compare specs on the new machine, one thing is important that's not clear to me.

I'm under the impression that for the kind of editing I do - amateur, mainly taking 1080p videos and cutting clips of them, putting together various such clips, adding some titles, some music soundtracks, and then creating a video from this (usually no more than 1 hour long, usually 1080p MP4.)

In this type of work, my perception is that PD 14 mainly uses the CPU during editing and then uses the GPU only for creating the final file? Is this true or false? And thus the main issue with the GPU is how long it takes to produce the final video file?

True or do I have it completely wrong?

Thanks!
I think that is prudent. The only thing that makes me wonder whether I could possibly live with an on board Intel GPU is that my GPU on this machine - nVidia GTX 680m - appears to be unsupported by PD 14 and thus I've been using the on board Intel GPU for a couple of years - and that is a much less powerful GPU (HD 4000) than the Intel units these days (e.g. Intel HD 520 or 530.) And it's worked OK.

Does anyone have experience using an on board Intel HD 520 or 530 or Iris GPU with PD 15? Is PD 15 more GPU demanding that PD 14?

Quote Laptops for editing are a bad fiancial decision. They will overheat, the lack of dedicated videocard will make it crawl... Why do you need to edit the videos while traveling? Enjoy the travel, leave the editing for when you are back at home, on a capable desktop.

I am on the road almost every week, often for a couple of weeks or more. Since I don't edit videos for a living, it's hard for me to justify buying a desktop PC in addition to my notebook just for video editing.

My Alienware M17x has actually served me well for quite a few years with PD 13 and 14, but it's dying fast.

My only advice is get the one with a dedicated GPU (GTX) rather than the integrated one (Intel HD) if you want to edit 1080p videos. The dedicated GPU can be as low as the 9xx series for power efficiency & performance and always update your driver.
Quote Laptops for editing are a bad fiancial decision. They will overheat, the lack of dedicated videocard will make it crawl... Why do you need to edit the videos while traveling? Enjoy the travel, leave the editing for when you are back at home, on a capable desktop.

I am on the road almost every week, often for a couple of weeks or more. Since I don't edit videos for a living, it's hard for me to justify buying a desktop PC in addition to my notebook just for video editing.

My Alienware M17x has actually served me well for quite a few years with PD 13 and 14, but it's dying fast.
OK, let me be more specific about the decision I have to make:

Keeping my current Alienware M17x is not an option. It is failing in a lot of ways. So I have to replace it.

Because I am now traveling so much, I want to purchase a very light notebook with a very long battery life. There are a number of options I am looking at. For example:

Dell Precision 5510

Dell XPS 15

HP Spectre 15

All of this can come with an Intel i7 quad core CPU, with very long battery life (8+ hours,) and all are very light (the laptop I have now is huge, heavy at almost 10 pounds, has about 1 hour batter life, etc.)

So the only question I have is on the GPU.

For editing 1080p video files, do I need something better than an Intel 530 GPU? I can get an Intel 530 GPU on some of these, an Intel Iris on some, the Dell Precision comes with an nVideo Quadro M1000M GPU, and the XPS comes with the nVidea 960M GPU. I know the 960M is the best of those, but is it needed?

If, for example, an Intel 530 GPU will be just fine for editing 1080p video files (and I am not a professional) then my options are a lot more varied than if I need a higher end nVidia card. So that's my question,

Thanks

Quote your quest ? contained all those stuff.

skylake cpu, gtx1060 gpu, 16GB ram, 1080 FHD screen, etc...

this is your cpu ->

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3840QM+%40+2.80GHz&id=900

skylake cpu -> http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6700HQ+%40+2.60GHz&id=2586

your gpu -> http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+680MX&id=2356

gtx1060 -> http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+1060&id=3548

hmmm.

what do they call your Alienware? gaming laptop??

you can see with your own eyes that your laptop still got some!

use it 'till crash and burn. new laptops will get cheaper next year...

get a new faster hard drive...

p.s.

happy thanksgiving everyone.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'
Well, I don't know. I'm not really needing a gaming laptop. That's the question - if I get a lightweight ultrabook, for example, with a quad core i7 processor, what GPU do I need for editing 1080p videos?

Quote is this what u r looking for?

MSI 17.3" FHD 120Hz 5ms GS73VR Stealth Pro-025 Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60
GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 16 GB Memory 256 GB SSD 1 TB HDD Windows 10
Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop VR Ready

newegg -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154294

amazon -> https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS73VR-Stealth-Pro-025-i7-6700HQ/dp/B01IOHNQQK

expect noisy cooling fan!

i need you for my santa.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'
My editing needs are pretty simple, I'm not a pro by any means. I'm typically taking HD videos from a variety of sources and editing them down to smaller clips, then combining those smaller clips into one video. Highest resolution I'm editing to is typically 1080p. I'll add music soundtracks and intersperse some titles into the finished video, but that's about it.

I'm currently using my old Alienware M17x laptop (I am on the road a LOT so a laptop is required) which has an nVidia GTX 680m, 16 Gig of system RAM, and the CPU is a 3 or 4 year old Intel i7-3630QM @2.40 GHz. I think that's a dual core CPU.

It works OK for my work, a bit slow but OK.

This old machine is now breaking down and I am going to buy a new notebook. Since I travel so much, lightweight and long battery life is everything. I'll be getting a 1920x1080 display (I don't yet like some of the ways Windows 10 scales the 4K screens) so I'll be editing again at those levels.

There are a lot of options, and on any of them I'll be using the i7 Skylake (or perhaps the next gen i7 Kaby Lake quad core) dual core CPUs. But what is holding me back on the various options is the video card.

I can get a laptop with the nVidia Geforce GTX 1060 with 6G of RAm, but I give up battery life and weight. I can also get systems with nVidia Quadro M1000M, or systems simply with an Intel HD 520 or Intel Iris GPUs.

Right now the GPU is what is holding me back on choosing a system. For what I do, will any of those GPUs be fine? Or are any of those graphics options going to be problematic?

Thanks very much.
Quote: Intel does have a later driver dated this year. See this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81499/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000-for-3rd-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors . It may be unsigned for win 10.

Let us know if this fixes your problem.

Set up a system restore, downloaded and installed the driver to which you linked. Rebooted, and voila, no more error message!

Thanks for taking the time to research and help!
Thanks, I just realized I did uninstall Quicktime after I tested to make sure this wasn't the problem. I double checked after a recent update to iTunes to make sure it didn't install QT and it is indeed no longer on the computer.

Thanks for the heads up though!
Been chasing an error for a few days. Updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7. PD14 is updated to latest version.

When trying to create a 1920x1080 MP4 from a video project, I get the error message that says something about make sure you graphics driver is updated and Quicktime is the latest version etc. I did a search and looked in the reg files for the fix people found, that wasn't the issue. I made sure QT was updated to latest version. Etc.

So I unchecked the option in Produce for the H.26/AVC MP4 option to use Fast Video Rendering Technology: Intel Quck Sync Video. When I did that, the error went away. Check the checkbox, error comes back.

Checked and my Intel video drivers (Intel HD 4000) are latest/up to date. Never had this problem before updating to Windows 10.

Attaching DXdiag since people usually ask for this when posting this type of issue.

Ideas?
Quote: DocDaddy,

Any chance you've tried the newest Nvidia driver (361.91 released 2/15/16) to see if the issue is fixed? Might be worth a shot anyway.

Yes, did that today - no difference.
Yeah, when I used my nVidia card with PD13 and previous versions, there was a nice performance improvement.
Quote: Hi DocDaddy,
From CyberLink (I've carried out some minor edits to the text, as the message was addressed to me).
We followed the user's description to make the test but of all the PowerDirector's, 11, 12, 13 and 14 none listed in the nVidia GPU activity utility. The VGA driver is the same as what we tested last time, v361.43. We also used the development tools "NvGPUStateViewer" and "NvOptimusTestViewer" to check the dGPU status. Both tools can be found on the internet. The same results display in the tools. No dGPU activity when launch with any PowerDirector version. But when we use the same way to launch IE and Chrome, which are supported to use the dGPU in the nVidia Control Panel. Both IE and Chrome are listed in the nVidia GPU activity utility and the tools shows the dGPU is on.

PDR11: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/PDR11.jpg
PDR12: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/PDR12.jpg
PDR13: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/PDR13.jpg
PDR14: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/PDR14.jpg
IE: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/IE.jpg
Chrome: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/Chrome.jpg
Test video: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/TestVideo..mp4

CyberLink are willing to help you, DocDaddy, to clarify your concerns. Please provide some snapshots or a video to show CyberLink and forum members how you operated to ensure CyberLink are responding to the right thing.

Dafydd

I give up.

They are saying PD 11, 12, and 13 never worked with the nVidia cards unless you rolled back your drivers to drivers that are over 1.5 years old. Even though none of us had problems until we upgraded to PD14. This after they have said they reproduced the problem with PD 14 on several of their platforms in their first reply to me. Then saying the problem is this - no? Then the problem is that. No? Now the problem is this.

Now they are saying PD 11 had this problem. PD 12 had this problem. PD 13 had this problem. Obviously we would have been complaining about this if none of those versions had been working! But we weren't, because it did work.

So now I guess what they are saying is that I need to uninstall PD 14 and go back and find my PD 13 install files, reinstall PD 13, take more screen shots showing it worked, then uninstall it, upgrade to 14 again, and show again that it does not work.

Oh, and for some reason in my tech support, as I have a ticket there, they either don't reply to me, or they give me the word for word reply they give you but a week or so after they give it to you.

I give up. They admit it doesn't work in PD14, now after all of this back and forth they are saying hey, it NEVER worked! Not in PD11, PD12, PD13 either! Unless you used out of date drivers that are almost two years old! You just never noticed before! Do they REALLY think someone like me wouldn't have noticed all this time that PD13, for example, that I used almost daily, didn't work with my video card???

I give up. I'm not willing to uninstall PD 13, try to find my all my install files again for PD13, install it, take screenshots to show it is working, then upgrade again with PD 14, then more screenshots again. At which point I'm sure they will come up again with why it's not their fault.
Dafydd, thanks, I have tried to be very consise and professional with their tech support but they seem to just provide a "standard" response and then disappear.

BTW - I don't know how much performance I'm losing using the integrated Intel HD 4000 vs. my nVidia GTX 680. For all I know the difference may be negligible. But it would be nice to have the option. I know when I look at the fx all of them have the Intel logo rather than the nVidia logo they displayed while using PD13.
Quote: Hi DocDaddy,

I have further information for you.

....The workaround is provided to the users who insist to use dGPU in hybrid system and to also clarify it is not PowerDirector restricts the capability to use the dGPU.

For the users who still question we (CyberLink) made some change in PowerDirector 14 to cause the issue, we (CyberLink) have made a test to show that PowerDirector 11, 12, 13 and 14 all can only choose the integrated GPU in nVidia driver v361.43. The drop down list is disabled. As described in the previous response, the mechanism is maintained by nVidia and would be updated with VGA driver update.

They are correct - you could not select it in the dropdown menu. However, you could still utilize the card by simply right clicking on the pdr.exe file and use the option "Run with Graphics Processor" and choose "High Performance nVidia Processor." PD 11, 12, and 13 would then run using the nVidia card. You could check to see with the nVidia GPU activity. That was with all of the latest drivers.

If you choose that option with PD 14, it will start and run but it will not recognize the video card (as checked with the nVidia GPU activity utility, as well as other ways to check.)

So no matter how much they try to pin this on nVidia, nothing has changed on the nVidia side. I was running PD 13 with this same machine, same drivers, using my nVidia card just fine. I "upgraded" to PD 14 and it will no longer recognize the card. I tried the kludge from nVidia to try to get it to work, and I get the crashing others get.

I know they want to be able to say on their web site it supports all these nVidia cards - but it doesn't. And as a writer who uses this machine to review a lot of software, I don't want to be forced to use 18 month old drivers forever. I just want someone at nVidia to quit trying to argue its not "their fault" and go in and figure out what they changed that causes PD 14 to no longer recognize our video cards (or take that off their PR for the program) and fix it. I much prefer PD over other video editing programs, and I have used them all, including "standards" like Adobe Premier. Just figure out what you changed that disabled the support and correct it.
Quote: Haha, Vegas... That's a piece of software not updated fully from 2010. It will work perfectly with video cards from 2010, but has no clue what to do with newer cards.

Well, apparently PD 14 has no idea what to do with our nVidia cards, and it is a 2015 program.

I tried the fix and then worked to revert back; I also got frequent crashes, etc.

Again - PD13 worked, PD12 worked, PD11 worked. nVidia didn't change anything, CL broke it with PD14.
Go to: