Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD14 will only use integrated graphics, will not use nVidia GPU on my system
DocDaddy [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 06, 2012 13:59 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Alienware M17x R4, with integrated Intell graphics (HD 4400) and an nVidia GPU (GTX 680M.) Even though the laptop is a few years old, it's done a decent job with all previous versions of PD I've used (10, 11, 12, 13, and now 14.)

However - with PD13 I could go into the nVidia Control Panel and select High Performance nVidia Proecessor as the default for PD. Now, with PD14, it will not allow me to change the default away from the integrated graphics. Even worse, if I right click on the PD14 exe file and select run with High Performance nVidia Processor, it still refuses to and runs with the integrated Intel graphics anyway.

Any help on this? (Other than get a new computer? Sorry, kinda low on the cash front right now so that's not an option!)

Thanks
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
It may be a driver issue, could you please attach your dxdiag here for us to look at? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
DocDaddy [Avatar]
[Post New]
The nVidia drivers are newly updated, 361.43 - they are the same as what I was using earlier this afternoon when I was running PD13, using the nVidia processor.
[Post New]
I have the exact same issue with my GTX 960M.....
Charles [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2007 21:54 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Same issue on my Surface Book trying to use the NVidia GPU.
Vlad1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2011 15:12 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Same here - Acer Nitro V17, Nvidia 860. What more I cannot even switch on Intel quick sync - when creating new profile. Quick Sync is available only for Default profiles supplied by Cyberlink.
[Post New]
Here is my DX.....maybe there is something there that can help others as well....
 Filename
DxDiag12 30 2015.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
552 time(s)
Kees54
Newbie Location: Sliedrecht, Netherlands Joined: Jan 15, 2014 13:46 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
You are absolutely right other programs can use Nvidia grafics but Powerdirector refuses even when selected manually. Regards,

Kees

Computer:
Processor I7, 16GB MEM, 500GB SSD, 3GB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1070 Ti 8GB, DVD and Blue ray burner
DocDaddy [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, thank, I'm glad it's not just my setup! So, does anyone know how to correct this, but also, how much slower will PD14 be using my integreated Intel HD4000?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
There are several very smart folks here who are up-to-speed on issues such as this. I'm a little surprised no one spoke up yet. Did you try a search on the top of this page? The search is a little quirky but you might come up with something.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 31. 2015 11:08

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
I had intermittant issues like this with PD13, but assumed the a new version would widen it's range of cards that can be used.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Intergrated GPU and a Nvidia set up - your issue.
1. The OP should provide his diagnostic as requested.
2. This issue should be reported to CyberLink's online support http://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html
3. Describe the issue to CyberLink's support set up and provide your diagnostic data.
See Part A & B in the guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45453.page

I don't have the same setup as the issue described here so it is not particularly easy to try and assist.

Recent driver issue with Nvidia, The GeForce Experience can cause crashes and should not be installed. The issue is posted on the forum.
Dafydd
DocDaddy [Avatar]
[Post New]
I didn't attach my DX Diag because I didn't think it was relevant but I will in this post. (I'm an IT Director, which is not to say I know it all, obviously I'm here asking for help!)

To lay out the logic of what's going on: the nVidia card works just fine with other programs that can use an accelerated GPU. PD 13 works just fine with the nVidia card (I was using it last week until I "upgraded" to PD14.) The nVidia drivers didn't change, the only thing on my system that changed was PD13 to PD14. I did a search on the forums, I just really don't want to roll my video drivers back to drivers that are over 18 months old and keep them there to use PD14. Oh, also I did uninstall Geforce Experience (just to be thorough) even though I was pretty sure with the data I have that wasn't the problem, and indeed, that made no difference.Again - every other program that can use acclerated nVidia graphics continues to be able to utilize the card, including Power Director 13. Power Director 14 will not. Other people here with other systems are reporting the same thing.

It appears they did something with PD14 to prevent it from being able to use my nVidia card. The other question is, how much slower will PD14 be in editing, rendering, creating the final product, using the Intel HD 4000 card?Attached is my dxdiag. Thanks.
 Filename
DxDiag. Docdaddy 1txt.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
486 time(s)
DocDaddy [Avatar]
[Post New]
BTW, it looks like Cyberlink made changes indeed to prevent PD 14 from using older nVidia cards. From the CL page on PD 14:

"PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards using pre-Kepler architecture who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the CUDA video hardware video encoder feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver."

Does PD 14 not use a faster GPU for anything other other than encoding? That sucks for encoding, and I'm not willing to have to use a May 14th 2014 driver for everything on my computer (and never update it) but I'm curious just how much of a downgrade I now have in other operations also.
DocDaddy [Avatar]
[Post New]
BTW, Dafydd B, I don't mean to sound like that guy that asks for help, then when someone offers it spits in their face! I hate it when someone does that! Email/posts stink for "tone" so sorry if I am coming across like that, I understand anyone who comes on here and posts help is taking time to help a stanger, so thank you.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Just wondering, aren't MOST, if not ALL of those updates aimed at gamers and even zeroed in on particular games, and have no impact on the actual performance of PD? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
DocDaddy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Barry, that's a good question, and the answer is IDK. I just know that out of date drivers are often the source of a myriad of problems, so I have always tried to keep them up to date.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
There is a gap in my brain when it comes to IT, no bout adoubt it, but since I do not game I use a driver version for my GTX660 that works with PD, and stick with it unless someone in this forum says otherwise. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
I don't game either, so is there a driver for my GTX 960M that does work with PD14?.......I'd roll back if it would speed up my rendering!
DocDaddy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, according to Cyberlink, it SHOULD utilize the GTX 960m since it uses the Maxwell architecture.

Actually, looking at Cyberlink's own specs, it is SUPPOSED to support my card also. The GTX 680m used Kepler architecture. From the PD 14 specs:

"PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards using pre-Kepler
architecture who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the
CUDA video hardware video encoder feature in PowerDirector is no longer
available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and
install an earlier driver. "

Well, my GTX 680M uses Kepler architecture. So according to the spec page advertising PD 14, I shouldn't need to use old drivers, it explicitly says in the cards supported that my card is supported.

But it isn't.