Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi Mari,

I've found the issue for you [and me]!

It's because PD8 didn't save your project correctly, or when it opened the project, PD8 *believed* it couldn't find the movie clip.

To confirm you have the same issue save me: Your movie timeline looks great with transitions, effects etc, but the video clips are black. Correct?

If you're new to computers, it may take a while to fix, but you can get your movies back!

To fix this issue:

I'm using Windows 7, but this will be the same in XP.

1) Make sure you can see the extension of the files your using, by unchecking "hide extensions for known file types". In your windows folder: Alt+T > Folder options > "View" tab > Uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" > Ok

2) Make a copy of your .pds project file. [Click and drag into a white space in your windows folder]

3) Open your .pds file in notepad:

A) [Right click the .pds file > Open with > Notepad.] If you can't find notepad in the list:

B) [Right click the .pds file > Open with > Choose default program > "Notepad" [you may need to click the little down arrow on the right to show all the programs] > Uncheck "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." > OK]

4) Notepad is opened and you can see a lot of text! I suggest you don't try to read it all!

*** Do not add any new lines or spaces, because you may destroy this file! ***

5) Let's check you have the same issue as me. Search for IDREF="-1" [Ctrl+F > IDREF="-1" > Enter]

6) If you find one great! The text around the "-1" should look like this:

CLIP ID="6" IDREF="-1" NAME="Try 2 with BAT.TOD" START="249...

"Try 2 with BAT.TOD" is the name of the black video clip! Now, we just need to change the -1 to the video's ID. Easy! But, what *is* the video's ID?

7) Go to the top of notepad [Ctrl+home]

Search for your video clip in the media library. [Ctrl+F > Try 2 with BAT.TOD > Enter]

You should find something like this:

VIDEOOBJECT ID="3" SRC="D:\My Videos\BAT 100411\Try 2 with BAT.TOD|0000" NAME="Try 2 w...

You can see the ID! It's "3"!

9) Go back to your -1. [Ctrl+F > IDREF="-1" > Enter]

10) Make sure it's the same one and the movie clip name is the same. Change the "-1" to "3"! Easy!

11) Check it worked by testing it in PD8. [Save [Ctrl+S] *** don't close notepad ***; and double-click the .pds file]. Can you see your clip instead of the "black clip"?

Close your PD8.

12) Return to notepad. Look for another IDREF="-1 [F3]

13) Repeat from step 6!

Good luck!
Andy
Thanks Adrian,

Yes, I've noticed PD8 can be very temperamental!

The "Black clips" aren't caused by the shadow files.

They're caused by a serious bug with DB8: the .pds file isn't saved correctly and I'll detail the fix in another post.

I have fixed other issues like this before.
Hi Mari and Carl,

I *often* have exactly the same problem.

In my most recent case, most video clips are fine, but the video "Try 2 with BAT.TOD" has been "turned black". Why?

Note: "Try 2 with BAT.TOD" is still in the media room, but it doesn't have the green check mark anymore. [Obviously].

I can create a new project with "Try 2 with BAT.TOD" and it works perfectly, so we can be sure there's no issue with the .TOD file itself.

All of my my video files in all of my projects are .TOD files created in the same video camera.

I've spent a long time matching the audio to the clips to the videos in this project, so I'm totally afraid of re-adding "Try 2 with BAT.TOD" to the time line and redoing the cutting, transition effects etc. etc.

My PD8 creates shadow files for my .TOD named like this "Try 2 with BAT_0.MPG". Checking out the ShadowEditFiles folder, I can see "Try 2 with BAT_1.MPG", "Try 2 with BAT_2.MPG" etc.

Another project, using exactly the same .TOD files, opens well. This working .pds text file doesn't have any .MPG file references.

The project file with issues, has a few .MPG shadow file references.

Is this related to my issue?

A while ago, I was greeted with the same "black clips". That time however, it was because I moved my folder. So, I opened the .pds file and changed my clips paths. Hey presto! The black clips disappeared.

We can all be sure this latest issue isn't caused by changing the .TOD file's name or location.

This issue is causing my hair to fall out! Any clues?

Thanks,
Andy
Go to: