Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
And why can't you produce a 720x480 clip at 23.976 or 24 fps? It makes absolutely no sense in this day and age, not to be able to pair the resolution you want with the frame rate you want.
As it is now, I continually have to compromise when editing 23.976 video from a DVD:
Either it's 640x480p @23.976
or it's 720x480p @29.97
This currently is my only major gripe with PowerDirector and I can't see why they didn't add support for this in v. 11.
And here is my thirds suggestion, a feature which would both solve half of StigtriX' problem, and perfect the viewing on a computer monitor:
3. De-interlacing while using TrueTheater effects! It is a serious setback compared to free solution such as VLC media player not having a proper de-interlacer. Thank you!
Hi there,
I've just been fooling around with the PowerDVD 12 trial, and found it lacking a few features that I have adressed below (in prioritized order):

1. Though PowerDVD 12 has the possibility of letting you choose side-by-side as the primary 3D INPUT it is however impossible to convert a 2D file (or show a 3D file of another format) to side-by-side. (My primary 3D display has side-by-side native display.)

2. One cannot zoom while using converted 3D files (haven't checked with native 3D), I would in some cases prefer to crop the video to match my screen (I find this especially important while watching a 3D movie).

I would appreciate these suggestions reaching the developers, so if any of the suggestions appear unclear, please contact me.
BR,
Morten Bay
It certainly seems doable to me. I at one point had a problem with studders, but that was fixed by changing output video to 23.976fps (because that was the native input), 29.976 made it jerky. I never considered it could have anything to do with sound upscaling...
Hi there,

I'm just now on the trial version of PowerDirector 10.

It seems good apart from a few faults. However, this thread is not about a fault, but about how a specific feature in Cyberlink Wave-editor works.

Here comes the question: When changing the pitch in wave-editor how much is one [1] peg in percentage?
The reason I ask is that I want to change the pitch of a PAL sped-up file to the original pitch. For that to be precise, one needs a pitch of 96% of the PAL pitch.

Thanks in advance,
/morten
Update: Solution found (mostly)
It seems an old (used up) trial of PowerDVD 11 prevented the use of TrueTheater effects in PowerDVD 12.
After uninstalling both programs and reinstalling PowerDVD 12 everything worked.

That is, everything except frame rates while playing video files (not DVDs, they play fine).
Where as PowerDVD 10 will upgrade 24fps to 60fps or 72fps (75fps for PAL) depending on your monitor, PowerDVD 12 refuses to set the refresh rate higher than double the frame rate (48fps) (this is 50fps for PAL video).

I figured it might just be that my PC is getting quite old, so I tried setting the resolution quite low (still with 72hz refresh rate), all the way down to 800x500 in fact. The result? Still 48fps, and still jerky 48 fps at that. So slow system must be ruled out.

Btw, thanks for the quick replies up until now. It's good to see, that as usual Cyberlink is trying to help out, even before I have bought their product. Thanks!
Hi Michael,
I've attached two pictures so you can surely see what I'm on about.
How do you use graphedit, I'm unfamiliar with it's use, maybe I can get som more precise results?
/morten
Below I have attached two images, that should make it quite clear how it looks on my system.
The external program that I'm using to determine output resolution and fps is called ReClock and can be downloaded from this link for free:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=48271
For the pictures attached it shows in PDVD10 that it plays back at 1680x946 at 60fps,
and in PDVD12 720x480 at 48fps (meaning that apparently TrueTheater Motion does do something if not as well as PDVD10.
It seems clear to me from the pictures when directly comparing, that PDVD12 only adds a lot of light and possibly some "fake" upscaling artifacts, while PDVD10 upconverts to true HD (or in my case 1050p).

BTW, it seems I made a mistake, the problem with TrueTheater HD seems to only occur with DVD's, not video files, whereas TrueTheater Motion has the problem in all file types I've tried.
There you go.
/morten
I downloaded the trial of PowerDVD 12 today, and was disappointed to find that it has the same problem with TrueTheater HD and TrueTheater Motion that kept me from upgrading to PowerDVD 11 last year:

1. When activating TrueTheater HD the picture quality change is hardly noticeable (as seen in the comparison feature) and using an external program, when checking, indeed only outputs 480p (or 576p in PAL mode.) This happens regardless of DVD or video format [unlike PowerDVD 10, which truly upscaled to 1050p (my native resolution.)]

2. TrueTheater Motion doesn't work properly either. When activated while watching a VIDEO the refresh rate is recorded to a 48 fps. maximum. This is only double the amount of fps. that a cinema quality movie will normally play back at. [PowerDVD 10 plays 60 fps or 72fps flawlessly (depending on screen setting.)]
When watching a DVD, it won't go above 24 fps (or 30fps or 25fps depending on original input.) [Again PowerDVD 10 plays at 60fps or 72fps.]

I really like some of the new features and the sleekness of PowerDVD 12 (much better than I initially liked PowerDVD 11), but if the above problems aren't fixed upgrading is a non-happening.
Also as a side note:

3. When using comparison mode, the split mode works, while I can't activate compare mode (where you have the same image beside itself, one with effects and one without).

Thanks in advance.
Or in case you didn't know the movie standard (in cinemas) is 24fps. Besides, if something is recorded in 24fps it is sacrilege to 2:3 pulldown to 29.976hz...
What you'll want to do is go to the NVIDIA Control Panel within your computer's Control Panel. There you must click "Customize".
From that window you select "Create custom resolution". You'll probably have to select a multiple of 24hz, like 48hz, 72hz (72hz is the only one I can run) as monitors with "true" 24hz are quite uncommon.
Hope this helps.
Hi Michael,
The patch 2024 worked. Problem solved.
Problem gone as suddenly as it arrived.
BR,
Morten
Just to keep the people updated:
Just installed the new NVidia 280 patch.
Not the solution, unfortunately.
I'm beginning to just hope the next PowerDVD patch will take this bug away from me as fast as the first one made it.
Br
Morten
- I have no codec packs installed.
- I use AnyDVD to watch DVD's that are not region 2 (which my PC is). This however makes no difference. I have tried uninstalling it and that does nothing to help the problem.
- 2D playback: all functions work as expected; video, DVD, images etc.

edit: it appears I had the codec K-Lite Mega Codec Pack installed after all. Uninstalled, restarted, still same problem. Will try reinstalling PDVD11.
Both Neither work after patching PowerDVD to v. 1719. Both worked before patch. I do 2D->3D Video and/ or DVD conversion with Anaglyph Red/Cyan output.
Thanks Larry, but I went from the driver before the beta, because 3D didn't work, to the beta driver to the final relesase, neither unfortunately fixed my problem, but thanks anyway.
Just updated my geforce graphics driver to 275.33 WHQL (from the beta version I had been running). This however had no effect. Problem still persists.
Hi there.
Thanks for the reply, Larry Patrick.
I tried both of your recommendations but, alas, neither had any effect.

To address:
Retail version of PowerDVD.
I do not use any external programs while running PowerDVD.
No anti-virus at the moment.
My 3D settings are as said:
Anaglyph - red/cyan, 2D material to 3D
My PowerDVD 11 runs in the opposite of cinema mode (whatever the standard display mode is called).
(same thing happens in Cinema mode btw)
I have tried with TrueTheater display effects on and off as well as hardware acceleration on or off.

If I'm still missing something, please let me know.

Edit: I have no idea what audio hardware I'm using, except it's bundled with my motherboard or whatever that is called in English.
I use a 5.1 surround sound system, and in PowerDVD I use TrueTheater Surround additionally.

Edit 2: Added DxDiag.exe file.
Done, check out my signature.
/Morten
Go to: