Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8: Build 2207
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all! I was recently provided with PD8 version 2207, and asked to thoroughly test out and to check its capabilities.

1. Crashes with Intel i7 64bit appear to have been addressed. With previous builds, if you really pushed PD8 with multiple PiPs, clip enhancements etc when producing it would often crash with a variety of different error messages. The same tests I ran with previous builds that crashed no longer crash with this build;

2. AVCHD 24Mbps appears to be supported. There is now an option to produce in H.264 1920x1080 24Mbps (as an example), and there is an option in SVRT which highlights 24Mbps when running an SVRT check on the timeline, after selecting View -> SVRT Information. I haven't tested this because I don't own a Canon!

3. AVCHD authoring. AVCHD DVDs now play, without a choppy picture, on a Sony Blu-ray Player. The same cannot be said for an H.264 Blu-ray, which still has a choppy picture on a Sony Blu-ray Player, despite playing fine on a PS3 and PC. I'm still supplying R&D with feedback and test results on this. H.264 Blu-rays WILL play on BD players IF you encode the files first ie don't use SVRT, which kind of defeats the object in terms of PQ!

Thanks to Dafydd for his ongoing support and guidance!

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 14. 2009 17:47

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
Dan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 14, 2009 16:51 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
That's good news as my Corei7 parts will be arriving from newegg in a few days. Where do I go to get the updated build?
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Dan, just be aware that is for a 64 bit system, I don't think they have a solution for a 32 bit systems yet. I live in hope as at this stage I really don't want to rebuild my system at least until some time next year when Windows 7 has had some time to prove itself.

My 32 bit system crashes also when PD8 is pushed with multiple pip tracks, clip enhancements etc. Something about PD8 using more than 2gig of ram. The funny thing is my test video is only 45 meg Why PD8 would need 2gig of ram to work on a 45meg video I don't know. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: That's good news as my Corei7 parts will be arriving from newegg in a few days. Where do I go to get the updated build?

Yea, its crazy there's all these internal builds. Everyone is using different software all over the place which put out technical fires where there's the most visible smoke.

I would prefer to be able to go to a software vendor site and get whichever build I want. Mark the interim builds as beta, and put a version number with the one's that are stable so people know what they are getting.

Instead, we just wait and there's no schedule unless you accidentally hear that there's a 'new build' somewhere.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2009 18:35

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
[Post New]
OnTheWeb;

That method of releasing software sounds vaguely familiar...Hmmm, let me think??!..like EVERY OTHER VENDOR ON THE PLANET uses it!!
I too would like to see interim releases (or Beta) or ANYTHING except silence.

While we are discussing thoughts...it would also be good if Cyberlink considered adding a change-release notes site to the mix. Again, something most other software vendors have!!

I am a little concerned about hearing that 64 bit fixes are coming before 32 bit modifications. CYBERLINK is not a high-end product, so I would not imagine that the majority of their user-base has moved to 64 bit machines yet.

Well, this hasn't been a happy post, so I will stop now and go lick my wounds elsewhere. And NO...I don't want cheese with that!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2009 19:48

OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
I am a little concerned about hearing that 64 bit fixes are coming before 32 bit modifications. CYBERLINK is not a high-end product, so I would not imagine that the majority of their user-base has moved to 64 bit machines yet.

Except, they are high-end when it comes to early adoptions of hardware acceleration and i7 optimization, and one of the few if not the only vendor that promotes both CUDA and ATI AVIVO.

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
[Post New]
My 32bit quad-core machine has Nvidia CUDA..and yes Cyberlink was one of the first to begin supporting things like AVCHD rendering, etc.

I am not questioning their leadership in the field, just cautioning that they should consider the problems that will occur if they start saying "Sorry, but everyone must move to 64BIT for this to work".

Sounds a little like they have been taking chapters from the Microsoft playbook, that is all.

Let's not get all defensively postured, now! This is just an open discussion amongst friends of the product.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 14. 2009 19:58

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
So far I've been happy with build 2207. I posted some comments on an earlier thread concerning the 24 Mb/s AVCHD and the quality seems better than the the previous build. I'm using a 32 bit system with a Core2Quad and it has not crashed yet, but I have only used a single video track. I tried using SVRT with my Canon video clips, but it did not work for me. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
[Post New]
I guess we can all try downloading and installing the "trial" version to see if that is the updated code!!

I may have mis-spoke based on Robert's comment that 2207 was for 64BIT.
I have had very FEW problems with Cyberlink on my machine (other than the transitions/jerkiness). Most of my videos are AVCHD and all produce fine. I don't even have the "Coaster" problem, "burn to folder", (fingers crossed here now that I have said that) or burn problems that others are having.

Just would like to see a possible solution to those that I DO have!!

FB

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 14. 2009 20:25

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
James I have no problem with mine crashing even with fairly complicated videos until I put in 4 pip tracks of the same video spaced 2 seconds apart to get a special effect I wanted.

It plays the video fine in preview but when I try to produce it, it crashes about 3 seconds into the job. As I said it is when it goes over the 2gig memory limit for 32 bit systems. If Cyberlink could stop PD8 from using so much memory for such a small video it would be good.

On a different note I also wish Cyberlink would give me the option to produce my Full HD 1920X1080 videos in progressive instead of interlaced as I am still getting the combing effect with some of the fast movement in my videos. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Dan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 14, 2009 16:51 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
The parts for my new Core i7 build arrived last night. Can someone point me to where I can get this updated 2207 build?

Thanks.
OnTheWeb1
[Post New]

The parts for my new Core i7 build arrived last night. Can someone point me to where I can get this updated 2207 build?

Thanks.

As you'll see shortly, its not 'there' for you to go get. It has to come to you. Hence the previous messages. It will all make sense in while. Sort of.
Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
Fong [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 21, 2007 23:59 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Does the latest build address the divx issues?

Also, is it possible for me to get the latest build? I don't see it in the software updates downloads.

Thanks in advance.
Octavian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 04, 2009 13:12 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have also received 2207 build trying to solve the issues I have with Canon HF100 and Sony BD350. Seams that this time AVCHD works but not BD. There is any settings allowing more than 8.5G or maybe disabeling the disk size checking?
I want to burn my BD-R discs using AVCHD format.
Thanks
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Your findings are the same as mine! AVCHD DVDs now play perfectly on Sony BD Players, but the choppy playback when producing an H.264 Blu-ray still occurs.

The workaround for this is to produce your footage in the 'Produce' module, then to place this footage back onto the timeline and then burn a H.264 BD. You cannot use SVRT for this to work however, so picture quality is not as good as the original or as producing an MPEG2 BD.

Let's hope this is resolved!

Why can't we use the AVCHD template in Create Disc? The structure of an H.264 BD disc and an AVCHD DVD is different. I think it's as simple as that! Would be nice if you could just burn the same file system to BD wouldn't it!

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Why can't we use the AVCHD template in Create Disc? The structure of an H.264 BD disc and an AVCHD DVD is different. I think it's as simple as that! Would be nice if you could just burn the same file system to BD wouldn't it!

Although not always an authoritative answer, Wikipedia does offer some insight, “AVCHD has been designed to be compatible with Blu-ray Disc format[1] and can be used for authoring and distribution of high definition video, though with reduced quality and interactivity compared to Blu-ray Disc.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

IF you are happy with AVCHD bitrate and quality with PD8, by using PD8 Create Disc you can create an AVCHD folder and you can burn this to a Blu-ray disc using any reasonable burn utility and it will play in a Blu-ray player. However, as Octavian and other posts have pointed out, is that at PD8 version 1930, CL checks folder size vs stated media so one can only create a 8.5GB AVCHD project so your 25 and/or 50GB Blu-ray disc can not be utilized.

So yes, you can burn the same file system to BD.

Jeff
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff for the feedback.

The current build also has that restriction - over 8.5gb and it won't create the folders.

So near and yet so far!

There must be some clever way of deactivating that, similar to Xerox' workaround for re-activating Blu-ray folders? Any ideas anyone?

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Octavian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 04, 2009 13:12 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Thanks for your feedback.

My workaround is to use 16G SDHC card to create AVCHD folder (choosing SD card instead of DVD) but I do hope that we will have an official fix soon

Cheers

Octavian
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Hi Jeff, Octavian,

As some feedback I've done the following test:

1. Created a 5 minute project with multiple Sony 1920x1080 MTS clips
2. Entered 'Create Disc'
3. Burnt to AVCHD folders
4. Opened Imgburn to burn the folders to the blu-ray
5. Played back perfectly on PC, PS3 and Sony Blu-ray Player, with SVRT encoded content, excellent PQ and no chopping.

So, as I see it, the easiest solution is to:

1. Allow user acces to the 'Video and recording format' in Disc Preferences for BD, and when H.264 is selected as the encoding format, the video format should change to AVCHD. This will allow playback of SVRT encoded work on a PS3, BD Player and PC with 'as is' quality, and no chopping.

2. Lift the restrictions on the burn disc window that prevents burning an AVCHD file system to a blu-ray disc.

I've forwarded this information to R&D via Dafydd.

Thanks Jeff, wouldn't even have run this test without your earlier post!

Cheers,

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Concerning suggestion 1. No I would definitely not recommend this approach. It makes absolutely no sense in my opinion for forward code improvements. BD menu system capability is not the same as AVCHD menu system capability. If and when CL actually decides to develop a real menu capable addition to PD this would only confuse the issue to have implemented this behind the scene change for BD when H.264 encoding is used. Develope what's right, not slight of hand!

Concerning suggestion 2, I've voiced this opinion in several posts; I don't understand why CL would put any restriction on the "Create a Folder" size option. Not for DVD, AVCHD or BD, period. If smartfit is used in conjunction with "Create a Folder", then smartfit to the user specified media size. Yes compression is available for BD folders, just not in PD8, maybe in the future though if they think it's important enough to put on the PD development roadmap.

Jeff