Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What is PowerDirectorStyleAgent and why is it always running?
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
I just downloaded the trial version of PD17, version 3005.

I noticed that a new tast was created in my TaskScheduler. It's called PowerDirectorSytleAgent.

I really don't care what it does. But I DO CARE why it's installed and running on my computer even when I haven't started PowerDirector.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 05. 2019 14:42

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just downloaded the trial version of PD15, version 3005.

I noticed that a new tast was created in my TaskScheduler. It's called PowerDirectorSytleAgent.

I really don't care what it does. But I DO CARE why it's installed and running on my computer even when I haven't started PowerDirector.

I assume you mean PD17.

PDStyleAgent is a trival task that always runs once PD is installed, and that's been the case for every version I've used since PD9. My understanding is that it's used to preview media clips when importing them into the Media Library. and rather than delay that to start up the task, it's set to run on every startup so it's always ready whenever you open PD.

Bascially, it's harmless, barely uses any resources, and it's required, so don't fret about it running.
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I meant PD17. (Corrected my O.P.)

I know that you know your stuff. Having said that, I am not seeing StyleAgent in this partion of Win8.1 where I have PD15 installed. However, I am seeing Cyberlink Rich Video Module, which might be the same thing, with a different name.

I will use AutoRuns to disable the starting of StyleAgent to see what happens.

(PD starts up okay without StyleAgent running. In PD15's case, it also starts up okay without Rich Video running. But after you close PD15, Rich Video keeps running.)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Well, scratch that! I was thinking of the RichVideo task, and PDStyleAgent is totally separate. I have several versions of PD installed so I can't say for sure which PD version introduced it.

It's located in a folder with the XML settings for running as an automated task along with the task installer and 2 GPU utilities, but PDStyleAgent doesn't need to be running to trigger the "Optimize GPU" message when starting up PD after installing a new video driver, so I'm not actually sure of what role it plays.

Still, it's a trival task and I've always let it run. If you disable it and do end up with any anomalous issues, maybe regarding text, you should reenable it and see if PD behaves normally again.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I noticed that a new tast was created in my TaskScheduler. It's called PowerDirectorSytleAgent.

PDRStyleAgent was introduced at PD16 for the new AI Styles feature introduced. You can read a few user accolades here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/76078.page Since then a few more AI Styles have been introduced as well.

Additionally, some users have renamed features to prevent loading with no detrimental effect for perpetual license users, since these effects are or can be included with the subscription, it would probably cause some issues if you intent to use.

Jeff