Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
runtime Error Power Director 7
Rick [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 08, 2009 17:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Everytime i build my videos, I get this message: Runtime Error.
Program C:\Program files \ Cyberlink \ Power Director \ PDR.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the applications Support team for more information.
I have asked Cyberlink, but to date no reply!!
Has anyone else had this problem?
I am running Windows Vista.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Action:
1. Uninstall - reinstall PD7
2. apply update patch
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_4_en_US.html
3. open a NEW project - carry out a simple function test using the sample files, Produce a video file and afterwards write a DVD from the timeline.

Now go and open your original project - see if it opens.

Dafydd

See:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART C, D and H

PD7 - image guide resource for video editors
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3522.page

PD7 - VIDEO guide resource for video editors
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3523.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 12. 2009 09:23

maxteatro [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 07, 2009 02:50 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hola, a mi me ocurre lo mismo que a Rick...

Hello, the same thing happens to me that to Rick. I go time trying to meet on the solution, until I found the response in the forum. I followed Dafydd's advices, but whenever I enter the PWD7 there happens to me the same thing:
- (Runtime Error.
- Program C:\Program files \ Cyberlink \ Power Director \ PDR.exe
- This application is requested the Runtime to finish it in an unusual way.)
I return to execute the patch and it returns to work, (!One alone time!). They know of some solution.
Thank you.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 15. 2009 03:27

[Post New]
Hey Dafydd,

Long time since I have had a grizzle here LOL! Not trying to jump on a band wagon here but I am having the exact same problem. My problem started about 2 weeks ago when I was using magic movie wizard in the new 2519. Now it won't open any pds that I have made in the last 2 weeks without crashing blaming PDR.exe via Visual C++ runtime etc error message. I have tried a full uninstall, removed all traces of Cyberlink files, smart sound and photonow. Done searches to ensure all files gone. I have done your reg edit suggestions and used windows install clean up. I have re installed updated to 2519 and still it is crashing. I uninstalled again as above and regedit removed the whole cyberlink files and went back to the version I was using 2429a which was stable and this has started playing the same game. I'm using XP SP3 with automatic updates. I even right clicked on the PDR.exe to see if I can run in compatible mode with XP but there is not an option to do so. It is some what Frustrating. Do you have any other suggestions apart from above mentioned? Cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 24. 2009 06:48

[Post New]
Sorry Dafydd I forgot:
I open a new project.
Preferences: Changed are Snapshot .jpg
Checked Reduce MPEG2 Blocky effects in produce
Aspect ratio changed to 4:3

Import a folder which has a mix of .jpg, .mpg, .avi
Push Magic movie wizard
Library
From here 3 ways to crash:
CrashA

import mp3 file, 6.05mb 4.34 playtime
mix audio level max more music
use either original / fast motion
new duration 3.42.26 original 11.08.19
Push Fit Duration to Background new duration 4.34.16
Slider pushed to max more video for ratio photo / video
analysing your movie
creating your movie nearly done
Windows critical stop sound then
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: c:\programfiles\cyberlink\powerdirector\pdr.exe
This application is requested the Runtime to finish it in an unusual way
Please contact the application support team etc

CrashB

Skip music next
new duration 3.42.26 original 11.08.19
Push Fit Duration to Background
analysing your movie
creating your movie
Preveiw style press play
Play 3/4 of way screen goes black try next
Finished Your movie has been created
Home
Applying the magic style wizard etc press OK
Runtime Error!
abnormal program termination

Crash C

Skip music next
new duration 3.42.26 changed to 4.34.16 original 11.08.19
analysing your movie
creating your movie
Preveiw style press play
Play 3/4 of way screen goes black / or freezes while slider still moving try next
Finished Your movie has been created or everthing freezes and Alt ctrl del needed
Home
Applying the magic style wizard etc press OK
Runtime Error!
abnormal program termination
Ron [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2009 21:13 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I get the runtime error and also the PDR.exe "crash" error in Vista. All of the peripherals pass the test for PDR 7, so this must be something to do with the memory. I have 8 gig, but of course Vista only sees 3 gig of it. And after installing PDR 7, my memory resources went so low, that Windows suggested that I get off the AERO color theme. I think PDR 7 is a memory hog. I guess we'll have to wait until they find the cause, or return the software as "faulty".
[Post New]
Hey Ron,

I'm running less memory than you. PDR does use a bit, but you should be fine unless it's Blue Ray HD etc editing you are speaking of which uses lots of memory. Maybe there is other background drains on your memory? What is confusing me about this problem is that 3 weeks ago everything for me was Mickey Mouse. I downloaded the new patch 2519 and then I start recieving these runtime errors with my new projects. I have unistalled and re installed about 10 times now. Tried going back to earlier versions, even system restored and tried. It has me stuffed? If memory was the trigger I would have thought that I would have been suffering way earlier. What is frustrating is that I can not get back to my happy place I was 3 weeks earlier......sigh - YET! Dafydd will find an answer I have faith!
Ron [Avatar]
[Post New]
Per my previous response about Cyberlink's PDR.exe errors being related to "memory", I looked further into it, and found that if you disable the DEP (Vista's memory manager protector) for the PDR.exe file, you will not experience the errors anymore. Another one you might try, as it slows down the PDR application, is to turn off the Vista Aero color theme, if you have it on. (Change it to Vista Basic) That worked on one of my other PCs.
Ron [Avatar]
[Post New]
David,
Even though I have 8 gig of memory, Vista only uses 3, as Vista is not programmed to see anything above that. DEP sees PDR.exe bleeding into protected memory areas, and so "crashes" it. Perhaps the reason it just started for you, is you installed another application or turned on a Vista feature that reserved memory near where PDR.exe "lives" while it is opened, and then DEP would shut it down. (Vista calls it a "crash", but Vista actually shuts it down)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, I'm still checking up on this - thank you for the input everyone... I'm holding back from asking you all to fill out a report etc.

Dafydd
Caperucita*Roja [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2009 11:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
x
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David,

Do you have the latest Visual C++ installed, I had the same issue a while ago and resolved it by installing Visual C++ 2008, I believe that Visual C++ 2010 is also now available.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
[Post New]
Hey Everyone,
Thankyou for your help.

Ron Glad you've found the fix for vista, I'll look into XP SP3 and see if there is a similar function, from memory my settings are Windows manages the performance.

For Dafydd : I tried something different last night. I reinstalled an image of my Hard Drive from the beginning of the month when everything was Running sweet. I then tried to run throught the steps I described using 2429a which had worked fine for all recent progects without crashing. When given the project it openned and loaded the files fine. When I ran Magic movie maker (MMM)- the error for this project appeared as described. So I guess that ruled out windows updates and update 2519! So is it the mix of files I'm using causing the problem for MMM? The audio is obviously not the issue, although the MMM crashes later without audio files. The .mpg files come out of a sony camera DSC-P72. What is new for me is the .AVI files which are produced out of a Nikkon L18 camera.

For Robert: How Do I double check I have the latest Visual C++ 2008 on my computer? I thought it was part of Visual Studio? I 'll do a google search and find Visual C++ 2008. My windows updates have not shown me needing any updates so I haven't installed anythingbut I'll try your suggestion and see if that helps.

Thanks everyone for your help again!
Kind regards

David

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 26. 2009 09:26

Bertrand [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2009 17:52 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have been having the same problem as of a few weeks, after I produced a DVD with my projet. Now, I cannot open the projet without PD7 closing. I have Windows XP SP3. The message pops up in a windows saying "PowerDirector has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." And in the window, I have to options of sending an error report to Microsoft.

The first few lines of the error report contains the following error signature:
AppName: pdr.exe AppVer: 7.0.0.2519 ModName: pdr.exe
ModVer: 7.0.0.2519 Offset: 00379768

The detailed error report is much more voluminous.

When I open a new projet and load the same library as in the existing projet, PD does not close. It seems to be that when the timeline is loading, it seems to lose some pointer or reaches a timeout.

Regards,
Ron [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bertrand,
There is something not right in the Power Director ver 7 (and may be in 6 also). But the next time you try to open a new project, and save it a couple of times, make sure you have it in Storybook mode. You will see many completely dark slides that have a time in them, but no file. If you click on one of the empty dark slides, PDR will crash immediately or will not respond (by continuously clocking). This is something to which Cyberlink needs to have the programmers to research. This happens in XP service pak 3 and Vista. There has got to be a problem with this software, as too many users are experiencing these same problems. I personally know of 48 users that are experiencing this. That's why I purchsed the software, as I couldn't believe Cybelink would put this kind of thing out with the problems it has. I have been trying to go through the error codes log file, but it is painstaking. I use other Cyberlink software and they all work fine.
[Post New]
Hey RobertJ,

For the exercise I have downloaded Visual C++ express 2008 with SP1. Installed the software, checked for updates, installed all recommended updates for the software and sql etc. Bedded it down, restarted and started powerdirector started on the path I described above with MMM - crash - error is abnormal program termination for visual C++ runtime by the PDR.exe

Sigh unfortunately this is not a solution for me (Actually sigh wasn't what fell out of my mouth but will suffice today LOL )

Any other hints gladly experimented with!!

Many thanks for help

Cheers David
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Suggestions
1) Install a cleaner software. ccleaner is a freeware
2) Wait till PD excutes a command before clicking the next command
3) Install vanilla PD minus patches PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

[Post New]
Hey All,

Thought I might just throw some flavours into the vanilla!

Ok, Obviously because I am bored and have run out of beer (not having drunk any today) here is what I have been up to: I expanded my memory space to no avail following my original post plan pathways.

Running the assumption that it was the mix of .avi,.jpg,.mpg playing havoc I chose 1 file of each and hit MMM. I chose the selected files instead of Library and chose no music. This worked fine.

So I then chose random 3 files of each ran MMM on Selected instead of library. (Interesting thing happens here - Slider for Video Photo Ratio Locks up - wont go left or right? Is that supposed to happen??) Back to problem so I leave it in center and tada all works fine 37sec silent movie....

So I then chose the above 3 files of each, ran MMM on selected , add the music as per my original plan, I don't adjust clip to match soundtrack and everything works 37 sec video with effects and music

So I select the whole library and run as per my original plan (meaning I chose selected items which is everything in the library and follow plan) (except video photo slider stuck in middle of ratio?? ) Windows critical stop - Visual C ++ error as outline before PDR.EXE is naughty visual C++ is not that type of program and goes home and I wish I had bought some beer sigh

After kicking the dog for not biting me to go and get some beer, I then went back to the 3 files of everything. I removed all files not in the 37 sec clip. Then for a laugh I run MMM and try to create a movie from the Library and use the same sound track not adjusting the clip to suit the sound track and I leave the video slider ratio photo in the center ( it moves when I use library mode!!) I then wait for my 37sec movie and Windows critical stop and the abnormal termination message

Now I really wish I had bought some beer..... I pick up the cat, throw it at the dog and wonder where the cat came from as we don't own a cat (to be continued unless my sanity is saved.......)

Summary: I can make movies via MMM with mixed files, provided I don't use all the mixed files (ie the entire content) in the Library via the selected items option with sound track. ( When I use this option - my video photo ratio slider will not work)

If I attempt to use the same files only, as above in summary, ( by removing all others not in the above clip from the library) and I use the same sound track as above. When I use MMM in Library selection mode ie from Library button I crash via PDR.exe upsetting 2008 Visual C++ with error messages from original post

Finally I have dragged the entire project library into the time line and repeated the sound track and it all plays with no effects transitions added

I need to go get a beer and a new dog......
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi all,

I have sent a PM to all those reporting the issue here - asking for basic and sample file information. Please assist as R&D is investigating and would like your data to try and replicate the issue.

Remember to give full data - all that's required.

thank you.

Dafydd
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd,

Info is being uploaded as requested. Thanks for your help and support.

My Dog thanks you as well