Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Remove Quicktime - How would this impact PD?
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
From a TrendMicro Security Blog :-

"We’re putting the word out that everyone should follow Apple’s guidance and uninstall QuickTime for Windows as soon as possible.
This is for two reasons. First, Apple is deprecating QuickTime for Microsoft Windows. They will no longer be issuing security updates for
the product on the Windows Platform and recommend users uninstall it. Note that this does not apply to QuickTime on Mac OSX."
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quicktime is an essential component of PD. I suspect PD will fail to even open without it. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
wink - alright I hold my hand up to knowing it is essential but I wonder what will be the longer term ramifications. Does this pressage another struggle between MS and Apple. Faced with having to keep Quicktime installed will it be a matter of time before our computers are compromised?

I currently use the MP4 format by choice but perhaps it would be best to move back to WMV - Any thoughts?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If you use Smartsound, it will not run without Quicktime. I find this report, however, a little insane. A company cannot simply STOP supporting such a widely used program without really pissing off a lot of people. Perhaps we have not heard the entire story yet. It would be interesting to know how CL deals with this as it's a crippling development. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Perhaps we have not heard the entire story yet. It would be interesting to know how CL deals with this as it's a crippling development.

Exactly my thoughts on both counts.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
That is good article that you are protected if you happen to use HP Enterprise TippingPoint network security solutions. It took Apple 4 months to acknowledge the problem and provide a link to their removal instructions.

PD will run without QuickTime. Others users don’t install it. See this post: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46983.page . It appears that Apple may own some of the patents related to h.264, mov, and mp4. That is why Windows users have to put up with it in PD. The workaround would be to use a converter in that post.

Other video editing software I have also uses QT the way I remembered it. I’ll keep QT as I use those formats in PD and prefer to be able to use svrt without format conversion loss.
Darrel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2011 08:01 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I just sent in a ticket on this to CL.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
The best safeguard would be to completely disconnect from the net when it is not needed, this includes the physical disconnection of the modem from the USB port to which it's connected if there is a risk to your computer's security through QuickTime no longer being supported.

Barry The Crab summed this up perfectly: A company cannot simply STOP supporting such a widely used program without really pissing off a lot of people. Couldn't have put it better myself! I suspect this might have a tiny bit to do with the rivalry between Microsoft(Windows) and Apple.

For me, I'm only on the net when I'm visiting favourite websites, then I jump off and disconnect completely, so that my computer is once again a stand-alone device. I really do "play it safe"!

Cheers!

Neil
TupeT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2016 01:45 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

new PD user here, I just installed PD 14 and chose not to install Quicktime (I uninstalled it yesterday after the security concerns). PD seems to run fine, I just can't make Quicktime videos.

It'd be good to get some official information from CyberLink.
jammanUK2000 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Sep 04, 2015 16:56 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I thought PD would run fine without Quicktime (in fact Im sure I uninstalled it recently and PD worked fine)

Question is can you still convert to MP4 without it? dffd
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I've uninstalled Quicktime completely.

So far, apart from not being able to use SmartSound in PDR, I haven't found any other ill-effects. All videos tested have imported, played back and produced to various formats without issue.

So - yes - producing to MP4 isn't a problem.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Will SonicFire Pro function, Tony? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Perfectly - no QT required laughing

We have two threads going covering the same ground - https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/48135.page

Cheers - Tony
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I've uninstalled Quicktime completely.

So far, apart from not being able to use SmartSound in PDR, I haven't found any other ill-effects. All videos tested have imported, played back and produced to various formats without issue.

So - yes - producing to MP4 isn't a problem.

Cheers - Tony

Hello, Tony!

I had concerns as well re: MP4 video edit as my newer camera(purchased late last year) shoots in either AVCHD or MP4. I'm not much of a fan of SmartSound so it won't be much of a loss, but I'll wait until others have uninstalled Quicktime to see what's become of their Power Director programmes. Yes, I'm playing this VERY safe!

Neil.
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Uninstalled QT and a very brief use of PD13 with a 720p 120 fps clip seemed to work ok. More on 120fps later and in another thread.

Time will tell us if the QT issue will be addressed by all the other programs that use it.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
[Post New]
Quote:
Barry The Crab summed this up perfectly: A company cannot simply STOP supporting such a widely used program without really pissing off a lot of people. Couldn't have put it better myself! I suspect this might have a tiny bit to do with the rivalry between Microsoft(Windows) and Apple.

Apparently, your new to how Apple does things

Im only playing, not trying to be rude. Yet it is comepletely 100% true and Apple has not updated QT for a bit now. Recently several exploits into Windows machines thorugh the QT code have also been found. even if QT isnt 'running' (as we all know it never actually isnt running unless blocked at startup).

Bottom line is that we neeed to stay on top of this so CyberLink produces a viable and safe alternative, or refunds monies before an applicable, and now proveable, anti-trust settlment is pursued and issued.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Actually that's pretty funny, Hyjax.
Welcome to the forum.
My biggest issue with removing QT was the now discredited idea that the Smartsound plugin would fail to function without it. Its been absolute gospel for over a decade that was fact. Nobody in corporate A told anyone in corporate B when that was changed. Well, Smartsound MOSTLY runs, Member ynotfish discovered that only the library audio preview fails. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Member ynotfish discovered that only the library audio preview fails.

Hello, Barry,

Even though you could stil access(in one way or another) the SmartSound music, without that preview function, your taking stabs in the dark as to what the tracks are, or sound like, so QT has stuffed things up for SmartSound users, well-and-truly. As for me, I either source my background music from elsewhere, or not use any music at all.

Cheers!

Neil.

(P.S. there you go, I stayed on-topic and was brief. Happy?)
ynotfish
[Post New]
Barry - yes - absolute gospel! Just goes to show you that if something is repeated often enough, whether well-founded or not, it becomes "the truth".

Neil - of course it's not ideal the way it is, but it's the best we've got for now. Of course, if you use SmartSound Express Track (part of SonicFire Pro) to mix your music there's no guess work at all. As you've stated often, you rarely use SS music in any case.

I'm just pleased to read that SS & CL are talking about it! Between them, a resolution wil be found, I'm sure.

Cheers - Tony
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've deleted QT and done a couple of tests and given the way that I use PD (I make changes to audio 'outside' PD) everything is as normal. Just makes me wonder how much dross I've got on my machine that doesn't have to be there.