Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blue Screen of Death w/ PD 14 & Windows 10
Jerosmith1980 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 12, 2012 10:59 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All-

In the last 2 days I've been on the phone for HOURS with Dell Premium Tech Support, and with Cyberlink Tech Support, no one thus far can identify my problem...

I have a brand new Dell Laptop (Independent Graphics Card, NVIDIA Geforce, i7 6th Generation Processor, etc), I specifically got this laptop for video editing w/ PD.

After PD launches, my screen goes blue and I get the following:

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to be fixed. We're collecting your error info, we'll restart for you.

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

The tech at Dell did a complete restore on my brand new laptop, and reinstalled all the drivers and software. Then, we downloaded the new PD 14, and installed the most recent patch to PD. Still having the exact same problem.

Cyberlink is saying the issue is w/ a driver or software on my end, which I really don't believe.

Thoughts? Help?

Thank you!

Jarred
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
After PD launches, my screen goes blue and I get the following:

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

The tech at Dell did a complete restore on my brand new laptop, and reinstalled all the drivers and software. Then, we downloaded the new PD 14, and installed the most recent patch to PD. Still having the exact same problem.

Cyberlink is saying the issue is w/ a driver or software on my end, which I really don't believe.

Thoughts? Help?
Jarred

It does sound more like a hardware issue. Did you buy the PD14 from the Dell website for your new Dell laptop at the same time. If you did then Dell should fix your pc or swap it out under the warranty. It is possible that the video driver need to be changed. See this link for ideas: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46597.page .
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
BSOD = Hardware failure and the Dell tech should know that. Video editing is the most resource stressful action a home computer (laptop) undertakes, using the full capabilities (hardware) of your computer. The issue is unlikely to be fixed by anyone on the forum. You need to take/return the computer to the Tech Support of the laptop supplier and get the issue fixed by them.
Just my opinion.
Dafydd
GS kid
Newbie Location: Santa Barbara county, California Joined: Oct 24, 2015 22:25 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I had the exact same KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE BSOD issue on my HP laptop with both PowerDirector 14 and Sony Vegas 13 everytime I tried to use them. Likely due to both setup to access the GPU for rendering acceleration looking back in hindsight.

Word on Windows 10 forums was that the Nvidia Driver v361.43 that came out on 12-21-15 was the culprit for many people and to rollback your driver to v359.06 released on 12-1-2015 to remedy it.

I did so and both Vegas and Powerdirector work now and not a single BSOD since. So the driver rollback worked for me! Word also on the forums is Nvidia is aware of the problem and working on a fix.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 10. 2016 04:02

Sony FDR-AX100 4K UHD camcorder
Sony ECM-XYST1M Stereo Microphone
Sony VCT-VPR1 Compact Remote Control Tripod
Vello VB-1000 ActionPan Stabilizing Action Grip
PowerDirector 14
Intel i7-4510u w/8GB RAM Nvidia GTX 850M w/4GB

lduguay [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2012 13:14 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: BSOD = Hardware failure and the Dell tech should know that. Video editing is the most resource stressful action a home computer (laptop) undertakes, using the full capabilities (hardware) of your computer. The issue is unlikely to be fixed by anyone on the forum. You need to take/return the computer to the Tech Support of the laptop supplier and get the issue fixed by them.
Just my opinion.
Dafydd

Dafydd, a BSOD (also called a stop screen) is not always hardware related. In fact most occurences of kernel crashes are caused by device driver software errors. It could simply a coding error, or a unhandled exception/condition.

Video editing per say is not too taxing on your computer, but the video encoding (and to some extent decoding) part is very compute and resource intensive. It may expose some hardware issues (often heat related) resulting into a kernel crash. Modern 3D gaming is also extremely resource hungry.

NVIDIA's track record shows that most stop screens are caused by software errors in their video driver.

Keep in mind those drivers are extremely complex.

(edited for typos)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 11. 2016 15:48

Jerosmith1980 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 12, 2012 10:59 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
I really appreciate everyone's responses and assistance with this very frustrating matter. Just today, I received the following response from tech-support at cyber link, please see below.

Dear Jarred,

Thank you for writing us back.

In regards to your issue, I would like to inform you that the issue is suspected to be caused by nVidia VGA driver v361.43.I Suggest you to visit nVidia website and download the VGA driver v359.00 and uninstall nVidia VGA driver from Windows Device Manager and reinstall VGA driver v359.00.

After installation of the driver, Goto Control Panel-->click on Uninstall a Program-->Select Geforce Experience-->Click on Uninstall.Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products.

Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do Thanks and Regards,PreetiCyberLink Technical Support
2bytes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 12, 2016 15:40 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Did it help? I have the same problem, Nvidia and latest driver

Quote: I really appreciate everyone's responses and assistance with this very frustrating matter. Just today, I received the following response from tech-support at cyber link, please see below.

Dear Jarred,

Thank you for writing us back.

In regards to your issue, I would like to inform you that the issue is suspected to be caused by nVidia VGA driver v361.43.I Suggest you to visit nVidia website and download the VGA driver v359.00 and uninstall nVidia VGA driver from Windows Device Manager and reinstall VGA driver v359.00.

After installation of the driver, Goto Control Panel-->click on Uninstall a Program-->Select Geforce Experience-->Click on Uninstall.Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products.

Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do Thanks and Regards,PreetiCyberLink Technical Support
[Post New]
Laptops are the worst choice for video editing. Their video cards are not always perfectly identical with the reference design so the generic nVidia drivers might not work always. You need to stay with the drivers posted on the laptop manufacturer website.
Also, Optimus technology found in all the laptops with dual video chips (one internal in CPU and another the nVidia GPU) can throw another wrench in the mix.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13. 2016 18:14

GS kid
Newbie Location: Santa Barbara county, California Joined: Oct 24, 2015 22:25 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Laptops are the worst choice for video editing. Their video cards are not always perfectly identical with the reference design so the generic nVidia drivers might not work always. You need to stay with the drivers posted on the laptop manufacturer website.
Also, Optimus technology found in all the laptops with dual video chips (one internal in CPU and another the nVidia GPU) can throw another wrench in the mix.

I'll agree with you for the staying with video drivers from the laptop maker is usually best. Learned that with my last AMD based laptop. On the other hand... with my current Nvidia GPU / i7-based laptop I have updated my drivers through GeForce Experience for the last year with no problems until this latest driver.

As for laptops being worst for video editing? No... smart phones and tablets are the worst for video editing. Anything is worse in performance compared to a desktop computer. But rendering on my laptop using GPU acceleration is over 3x faster than having my i7 cpu render it alone. I'm quite happy with it's performance.

It's really handy to start editing video on a vacation trip back at your hotel room without needing to lug around a desktop computer. You can just upload it off the laptop that night from your room.

As for Optimus technology? Not an issue for most since people rarely find the need to edit and render on battery power. It just sucks through your battery life and most people can wait until they plug into an electrical outlet to do their editing. Sony FDR-AX100 4K UHD camcorder
PowerDirector 14

[Post New]
Well, it might be theoretically true, but as you see the reality beats that. Conflicts can appear and that's why the first recommendation was to uninstall the Experience. Or revert to an earlier driver that worked.
As for editing videos while in vacation... really? Why even go in that vacation then if you are not enjoying it?

PS: My Home Theatre PC (use WMC as DVR) has an nVidia GPU (Quadro). At one point the WMC started to have random restarts, black screens, the external HDD was making funny clicking noises I though that the thing is dying.
On a whim, I reverted to an older driver and everything is well. I didn't updated that driver for 6 months now. No need for the newest gaming profiles, that PC is used for just one purpose.
GS kid
[Post New]
Quote: As for editing videos while in vacation... really? Why even go in that vacation then if you are not enjoying it?

Because video editing is a hobby for me. A hobby is an optional activity done for fun. After a long day of vacation fun (and filming parts of it), there isn't much to do at night back in my motel room since I rarely watch television(except a little YouTube watching).

So... I bust out my laptop, eager to review that day's footage and start editing it..... all because it's fun to do. And having fun on vacation is the point.... right?cool

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 13. 2016 22:10

Sony FDR-AX100 4K UHD camcorder
PowerDirector 14

Devak [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 09, 2016 19:43 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem until I rolled back the driver to a older one, but now for some reason my games are playing with a low fps. Theres a new driver that came out today, anyone tried it yet?
2bytes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 12, 2016 15:40 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
It did? Thanx for letting know! This time I'll may be wait for a week or two )
jomy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 31, 2018 06:18 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
This BSOD error is also known as “ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY” and “STOP 0x000000BE“. Some users of Windows have reported this error, which normally appears on the screen during the initialization of the system.

To check if the error is caused by a faulty drive, run an automatic driver update or manually update the drivers to the latest available versions.

To manually update a driver, follow these steps:

Click Start
Type in devmgmt.msc in the search box
Click devmgmt from results list
Right-click on the driver
To update the driver, select Update Driver Software.
To disable the driver, select Disable.
To uninstall the driver, select Uninstall.

To run an automatic driver update, follow these steps:

Click Start
Go to Devices and Printers
Right-click on your computer
Select Device Installation Settings
Select Yes, do this automatically
Click Save Changes