Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
BD-R and BD-R DL Capacities - time-wise...
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I already know that this is a difficult question to answer as how much 'time' a particular disc will allow to record on it, depends on how heavily edited, transitions, etc.... is included in the project. But...

I had performed a 'properties' on the produced project I was trying to burn and it was something like 11.5GB - I thought it would burn with no problem as the BD-R is a 25 GB disc. But...(second but)

The project was about 129 minutes and I was trying to burn it onto a BD-RE disc (also 25GB capacity). I've been pretty consistently getting the "This size of imported files exceeds the amount of available disc space." message - each time I tried to burn. So I started to just split off and delete 5 minutes at a time until it would burn - just to get a sense of how much could I burn onto the 25GB BD-RE.

I got to just about 120minutes - and then stopped getting the message. Does this sound about right?

I've got the LG WH14NS40 drive and so I should be able to burn BD-R-DL s I think so... since these are 50GB - I should be able to burn the entire original project onto one of those correct?

How much disc space is used for the menus and such? I chose 'no menu' when I did the last, successful burn attempt.

So... I was wondering if there is any 'general' time capacity for the BD-R's or BD-R-DL discs?

Thanks,

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2015 11:07

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I already know that this is a difficult question to answer as how much 'time' a particular disc will allow to record on it, depends on how heavily edited, transitions, etc.... is included in the project. But...

I had performed a 'properties' on the produced project I was trying to burn and it was something like 11.5GB - I thought it would burn with no problem as the BD-R is a 25 GB disc. But...(second but)

The project was about 129 minutes and I was trying to burn it onto a BD-RE disc (also 25GB capacity). I've been pretty consistently getting the "This size of imported files exceeds the amount of available disc space." message - each time I tried to burn. So I started to just split off and delete 5 minutes at a time until it would burn - just to get a sense of how much could I burn onto the 25GB BD-RE.

I got to just about 120minutes - and then stopped getting the message. Does this sound about right?

I've got the LG WH14NS40 drive and so I should be able to burn BD-R-DL s I think so... since these are 50GB - I should be able to burn the entire original project onto one of those correct?

How much disc space is used for the menus and such? I chose 'no menu' when I did the last, successful burn attempt.

So... I was wondering if there is any 'general' time capacity for the BD-R's or BD-R-DL discs?

Thanks,

CS

You mention nothing about the formats that you are putting on the BD so hard to answer. Some size guides here for particular formats.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46428.page#240750

Jeff
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry Jeff frown

I had produced with MP4, H.264 - 1920-1080/60p - I think it was 16Mbps. Drug that into a timeline and then just a BluRay BDMV, 16:9, 2D burn.

Will look at your link - thanks.

CS

p.s.... Ahhhhh...(light bulb turning on) - might take up a bit more space with the 60p maybe? And looks like (from your link) I shouldn't have an issue especially if I use a BD-R-DL.

Do Menus gobble up much space?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 06. 2015 11:59

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I had produced with MP4, H.264 - 1920-1080/60p - I think it was 16Mbps. Drug that into a timeline and then just a BluRay BDMV, 16:9, 2D burn.

What settings you "Produce" to has little to no bearing on what "Create Disc" needs to do for complaint media formats for cases that are encoded. What's pertinent and controls time duration on the media are the settings used in "Create Disc" as the timeline will be encoded if the "Produce" settings were not compliant with specified "Create Disc" settings.

PD estimates are not always the most accurate, the estimates are based on a fixed bitrate and the actual bitrate depends on content in the timeline. For instance the PD time estimates vs actual time achievable on the media for a timeline of entirely pictures arranged in a slideshow format will end up being entirely different than if the timeline was all high bitrate video. In these cases it's best to select the next higher disc capacity and then create a folder vs buring a actual disc. Once complete, verify folder size and then burn to approriate media with P2G or any other burn utility.

Jeff
CS2014
[Post New]
I apologize for not understanding this aspect of video burning/producing Jeff.

I've been pretty confused by the 'Produce' versus the 'Burn Disc'. I've seen where I could burn a disc without going through Produce and didn't/don't really understand why. Maybe it has to do with creating something - maybe a file that can be used for upload to the web - like to YouTube? Where burning a disc is ... well.. creating a disc that would play in a DVD/BLuRay player. The one does not really help or is necessary for the other .... correct?

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for the feedback.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2015 13:12

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
It looks like create disc wants to encode to a format that it likes better and that will make the file size larger. It would probably fit if you were burning a data disc. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM