Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD14 will only use integrated graphics, will not use nVidia GPU on my system
DocDaddy [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 06, 2012 13:59 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: k.

DocDaddy,

xr650lou,

Charles,

Vlad,

Kees54,

and others...

try driver version 347.25 and DO NOT INSTALL GeForce experience!

and a CLEAN install.

if it doesn't work then as you were.

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

I'll try that, though I'm puzzled why a driver that is a year old and quite a bit out of date would be required for PD 14 to utilize the cards when PD 13 can utilize the cards with no problem with current drivers. Also, I know CL posted that people needed an old driver for pre-Kepler nVidia cards, but all of the cars in question are Kepler (and more current Maxwell) generation.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
well GGRussell has a laptop with intel & nVidia graphics(GPGPU)

and the driver 361.43 kicked in HA.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46911.page#243571

yours is opposite. disabled.

if it's not a driver issue then read what JL_JL says at the end.

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2016 12:42

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
HI DocDaddy & other editors,
I have received a reply (from CyberLink) which I will now quote from:
The issue is actually the restriction of the software NVIDIA Control Panel but not PowerDirector issue. We (CyberLink) made a workaround to avoid the restriction but there might be side effect of issues.

It is suggested that you back up the original modules before they are replaced by the provided workaround module.
==
For Intel/NVIDIA hybrid GPU platforms, there is a mechanism in the NVIDIA Control Panel to manage which third party software is allowed to use dGPU. The mechanism is managed by NVIDIA, not by CyberLink. CyberLink PowerDirector supports NVIDIA GPU, based on NVIDIA's specification, when there is no restriction. There is a workaround solution to let this kind of hybrid platform use the dGPU, but results in side effects for specific platform with specific VGA drivers. The resulting side effect is the preview window becomes a black screen during previewing when hardware decoding is enabled. The issue cannot be resolved from the software side.

To implement the workaround, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to PowerDirector installation folder. Find the 2 files "PDR.exe" and "PDR.exe.manifest" and rename them to
"PDR14.exe" and "PDR14.exe.manifest".
2. Download the file "GpuUtility.dll" and copy the file to the path C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\CESdlls\
32bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/32bit/GpuUtility.dll
64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/64bit/GpuUtility.dll
3. Download the files "GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe" and "GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest" and copy the
files to the path C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14
[GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe]
32bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/32bit/GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe
64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/64bit/GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe
[GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest]
32bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/32bit/GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest
64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/64bit/GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest
4. Reboot your computer.
5. After rebooting, right click on PDR14.exe and choose the option to run the software by NVIDIA GPU.

It is suggested that you back up the original modules before they are replaced by the provided workaround module.
==

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2016 05:57

DocDaddy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for getting something from them. Their tech support asked me for some data, I gave it to them, and then they abandoned me - not even a reply after I gave them the data they asked for.

So basically if I change these files, I lose the ability to use the preview window if I choose to use the hardware decoding? That sounds like it's pretty crippling if they're saying what I think they are.

And I really, really dispute what they are saying that it is the fault of nVidia. And nothing they can do on their side. Because this same hardware and software from nVidia has worked well with PD10, 11, 12, and 13. The problem only occurred when I updated to 14, i.e. the only thing that broke this was something they did between 13 and 14.

Not trying to shoot the messenger!
Vlad1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2011 15:12 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd and thanks for input. I tried it immediately and it works (tried on I5 3,8 GHZ with Nvidia 560, multi GPU configurationa with iGPU Intel). Preview worked with no changes (no sideeffects) Rendering speed was slightly higher than I5 plus iGPU but that is probably due to performance of 560 which is approx. on par with Intel processor. I will try tomorrow with I7 laptop and 860NVidia GPU.
However question arise - when CB release an update patch will the things revert back? Probably nobody knows at present

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 19. 2016 05:24

Roel1979 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2016 19:44 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the info ! Tested it as well and can confirm I can now use my GTX 960M - but few concerns:

• Seeing many program crashes when using the Nvidia card - not happening with the internal card

• ==> [Update] Crashes resolved by uninstalling Nvidia Experience / Shadowplay
  • Slight improvement in rendering time but difference with internal is not extreme

• Initially installed PD on my D drive - workaround did not seem to work when using a non standard installation path

Below are some results of my testing - overall I was expecting a bigger performance increase from the Nvidia card but perhaps the specs for editing for the intel CPU/iGPU are too close to the GTX 960M card ? Guess the improvement in rendering time will be more significant with longer videos and more editing/effects/color adjustments so still a gain - but for now not really usable due to the frequent crashes.

Can anyone explain what functions of rendering are handled by the CPU and what can be offloaded to the GPU ?
My GPU never reaches 100 % so is there something holding it back so it cannot use the full capacity ?

Thanks
Roel

Notebook specs

• MSI GE72 6QC

• Intel Core i7-6700HQ

• Intel HD Graphics 530

• Nvidia Gforce GTX 960M 2 MB

• 8 GB of DDR4 RAM

Test results:

Test 1
Launch PD with internal GPU
Not using Intel HW acceleration in Menu or rendering screen
Rendering duration : 01:06

CPU= 90-100
Mem = 40
iGPU = 0-1

Conclusion - CPU is taking care of most of the rendering.

Test 2
Using Intel Quick SYnc acceleration in rendering screen - Menu option disabled
Rendering duration : 01:06

CPU= 40 - 50
Mem = 40
iGPU = 50 - 60 %

Conclusion - CPU and internal iGPU are working together for rendering.

Test 3
Using Intel Quick SYnc acceleration in rendering screen - Menu option enabled
Rendering duration : 01:05

CPU= 40 - 50
Mem = 40
iGPU = 50 - 60 %

Test 4
Launch PD with NVIDIA GPU
Not using Intel HW acceleration in Menu or rendering screen
Rendering duration : 01:05

CPU= 90-100
Mem = 40
iGPU = 0-1

Conclusion - CPU is taking care of most of the rendering.

Test 5
Launch PD with NVIDIA GPUUsing
Hqrdware video encoder in rendering screen - not enabled CUDA in Preferences
Rendering duration : 00:56

CPU = 50-100
Mem= 40
dGPU= 40

Note - CPU starts at 100 % for effect/particales then lowers once done.

Test 6
Launch PD with NVIDIA GPUUsing
Hqrdware video encoder in rendering screen - enabled CUDA in Preferences
Rendering duration : 00:56

CPU = 50-100
Mem= 40
dGPU= 40

Note - CPU starts at 100 % for effect/particales then lowers once done.

Crash notes:

No real pattern. Crash happens at multiple stages. One crash happened when loading PD and filling the library with the default concent. One assumption is that the 3d video there had something to do with it. But even afer deleting that some crashes happened further into the program. I was using 2 tools to read the GPU usage - so might be related. And I am using the trial version so might be slightly different from the real version.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 19. 2016 16:41

Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 07, 2014 10:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Ok i have not posted on these forums yet but i am going to chime in here.

I have the exact same problem. I tried the solution that CL gave but have been experiencing the exact same issues with frequent crashes..... my crashes are occurring no mater which GPU i select so i am hoping that i will be able to revert the changes (I did backup the original files).

As noted before I am not seeing a substantial increase in performance utilizing the Nvidia card over the simple intel either. I have not been able to do any preview rendering as the program crashes but i did get one of my videos to produce and i think it may have been even slower with the nvidia card than the integrated.

I hope we can get some resolution for this. My PD 11 with a GTX 660 just screamed compared to this.... I am on a new machine on windows 10 (not happy with it) and could not get PD 11 to play nice so i decided to upgrade. PD 14 seems to run great on windows 10 other than ignoring my Nvidia.....

I am transitioning to a laptop because i need the flexibility. Here are my specs.

SAGER / CLEVO

Intel Core i7 4810MQ

Intel HD Graphics 4600

Nvidia Gforce GTX 870M 6 GB

16 GB of DDR4 RAM
[Post New]
Laptop for flexibility?
None of the desktops have those issues... I have laptops for travel, but they are cheap, small, lightweight, internet and document edit capable machines. Have a couple of Dell Latitude from eBay (first gen i5, some $200 each, plus $40-60 the SSD's).

For my video editing I see no reason to use a laptop, that's why I rely on my desktop.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 20. 2016 05:59

Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 07, 2014 10:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
My situation is a bit different. I live on the road full time in an RV. I do have an excellent editing desktop in my rig but I am frequently in situations where I am without it for longer periods of time.... I really need the power in an easily fordable form factor without disassembling the desktop each time.....

I would agree however that a desktop is pretty much irreplaceable with a laptop (as of now)

I constantly edit video and while i use Vegas, after effects and hit film as well i still like the Cyberlink product for simple quick cuts. It was previously much faster than the other editors, however in this latest version i have not seen the benefit since it is ignoring my hardware....
[Post New]
Haha, Vegas... That's a piece of software not updated fully from 2010. It will work perfectly with video cards from 2010, but has no clue what to do with newer cards.
DocDaddy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Haha, Vegas... That's a piece of software not updated fully from 2010. It will work perfectly with video cards from 2010, but has no clue what to do with newer cards.

Well, apparently PD 14 has no idea what to do with our nVidia cards, and it is a 2015 program.

I tried the fix and then worked to revert back; I also got frequent crashes, etc.

Again - PD13 worked, PD12 worked, PD11 worked. nVidia didn't change anything, CL broke it with PD14.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi DocDaddy,

I have further information for you.

....The workaround is provided to the users who insist to use dGPU in hybrid system and to also clarify it is not PowerDirector restricts the capability to use the dGPU.

For the users who still question we (CyberLink) made some change in PowerDirector 14 to cause the issue, we (CyberLink) have made a test to show that PowerDirector 11, 12, 13 and 14 all can only choose the integrated GPU in nVidia driver v361.43. The drop down list is disabled. As described in the previous response, the mechanism is maintained by nVidia and would be updated with VGA driver update.

PDR14

PDR13

PDR12

PDR11
[Thumb - PDR13.jpg]
 Filename
PDR13.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PDR13
 Filesize
276 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4126 time(s)
[Thumb - PDR12.jpg]
 Filename
PDR12.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PDR12
 Filesize
277 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4093 time(s)
[Thumb - PDR11.jpg]
 Filename
PDR11.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PDR11
 Filesize
272 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4095 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 21. 2016 07:22

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
one more image.
[Thumb - PDR14.jpg]
 Filename
PDR14.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PDR14
 Filesize
253 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4190 time(s)
Roel1979 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2016 19:44 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/866546/geforce-drivers/355-60-drivers-break-hardware-accelerated-encoding-for-h-264-format-on-powerdirector-13/

This post on the GForce forum seems to confirm what Dafydd B is explaining. From this I also read the issue might be that Nvidia assumed Quick Sync on the CPU is better than the Nvidia GPU performance and therefor disabling the card for use. In my case the 960M performs slightly better than Quick Sync even to I have an i7-6700K. (the difference is minimal).

The fix provided by cyberlink seems to work for me (will be testing more extensively over the weekend ) so I will be using that while waiting for a more permanent solution from Nvidia (is Cyberlink in contact with Nvidia to ask them to fix this ?). For those that can't wait for the fix - there seems to be an option to update the profiles yourself with nvidia inspector but it does not describe how to do that so keeping my hands of of it :

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21. 2016 08:46

DocDaddy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi DocDaddy,

I have further information for you.

....The workaround is provided to the users who insist to use dGPU in hybrid system and to also clarify it is not PowerDirector restricts the capability to use the dGPU.

For the users who still question we (CyberLink) made some change in PowerDirector 14 to cause the issue, we (CyberLink) have made a test to show that PowerDirector 11, 12, 13 and 14 all can only choose the integrated GPU in nVidia driver v361.43. The drop down list is disabled. As described in the previous response, the mechanism is maintained by nVidia and would be updated with VGA driver update.

They are correct - you could not select it in the dropdown menu. However, you could still utilize the card by simply right clicking on the pdr.exe file and use the option "Run with Graphics Processor" and choose "High Performance nVidia Processor." PD 11, 12, and 13 would then run using the nVidia card. You could check to see with the nVidia GPU activity. That was with all of the latest drivers.

If you choose that option with PD 14, it will start and run but it will not recognize the video card (as checked with the nVidia GPU activity utility, as well as other ways to check.)

So no matter how much they try to pin this on nVidia, nothing has changed on the nVidia side. I was running PD 13 with this same machine, same drivers, using my nVidia card just fine. I "upgraded" to PD 14 and it will no longer recognize the card. I tried the kludge from nVidia to try to get it to work, and I get the crashing others get.

I know they want to be able to say on their web site it supports all these nVidia cards - but it doesn't. And as a writer who uses this machine to review a lot of software, I don't want to be forced to use 18 month old drivers forever. I just want someone at nVidia to quit trying to argue its not "their fault" and go in and figure out what they changed that causes PD 14 to no longer recognize our video cards (or take that off their PR for the program) and fix it. I much prefer PD over other video editing programs, and I have used them all, including "standards" like Adobe Premier. Just figure out what you changed that disabled the support and correct it.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi DocDaddy,
Be assured, your feedback will be read by CyberLink.
Dafydd
DocDaddy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd, thanks, I have tried to be very consise and professional with their tech support but they seem to just provide a "standard" response and then disappear.

BTW - I don't know how much performance I'm losing using the integrated Intel HD 4000 vs. my nVidia GTX 680. For all I know the difference may be negligible. But it would be nice to have the option. I know when I look at the fx all of them have the Intel logo rather than the nVidia logo they displayed while using PD13.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2016 13:56

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi DocDaddy,
From CyberLink (I've carried out some minor edits to the text, as the message was addressed to me).
We followed the user's description to make the test but of all the PowerDirector's, 11, 12, 13 and 14 none listed in the nVidia GPU activity utility. The VGA driver is the same as what we tested last time, v361.43. We also used the development tools "NvGPUStateViewer" and "NvOptimusTestViewer" to check the dGPU status. Both tools can be found on the internet. The same results display in the tools. No dGPU activity when launch with any PowerDirector version. But when we use the same way to launch IE and Chrome, which are supported to use the dGPU in the nVidia Control Panel. Both IE and Chrome are listed in the nVidia GPU activity utility and the tools shows the dGPU is on.

PDR11: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/PDR11.jpg
PDR12: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/PDR12.jpg
PDR13: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/PDR13.jpg
PDR14: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/PDR14.jpg
IE: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/IE.jpg
Chrome: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/Chrome.jpg
Test video: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/TestVideo..mp4

CyberLink are willing to help you, DocDaddy, to clarify your concerns. Please provide some snapshots or a video to show CyberLink and forum members how you operated to ensure CyberLink are responding to the right thing.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 31. 2016 09:34

[Post New]
@DocDaddy, just an observation, in both cases the utilization of CPU/GPU is not maximized (40%-40%).

The actual bottleneck is somewhere else in the system (latencies?), and this happens consistently for PD on various platforms.
DocDaddy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi DocDaddy,
From CyberLink (I've carried out some minor edits to the text, as the message was addressed to me).
We followed the user's description to make the test but of all the PowerDirector's, 11, 12, 13 and 14 none listed in the nVidia GPU activity utility. The VGA driver is the same as what we tested last time, v361.43. We also used the development tools "NvGPUStateViewer" and "NvOptimusTestViewer" to check the dGPU status. Both tools can be found on the internet. The same results display in the tools. No dGPU activity when launch with any PowerDirector version. But when we use the same way to launch IE and Chrome, which are supported to use the dGPU in the nVidia Control Panel. Both IE and Chrome are listed in the nVidia GPU activity utility and the tools shows the dGPU is on.

PDR11: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/PDR11.jpg
PDR12: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/PDR12.jpg
PDR13: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/PDR13.jpg
PDR14: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/PDR14.jpg
IE: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/IE.jpg
Chrome: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/Chrome.jpg
Test video: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/Hybrid/TestVideo..mp4

CyberLink are willing to help you, DocDaddy, to clarify your concerns. Please provide some snapshots or a video to show CyberLink and forum members how you operated to ensure CyberLink are responding to the right thing.

Dafydd

I give up.

They are saying PD 11, 12, and 13 never worked with the nVidia cards unless you rolled back your drivers to drivers that are over 1.5 years old. Even though none of us had problems until we upgraded to PD14. This after they have said they reproduced the problem with PD 14 on several of their platforms in their first reply to me. Then saying the problem is this - no? Then the problem is that. No? Now the problem is this.

Now they are saying PD 11 had this problem. PD 12 had this problem. PD 13 had this problem. Obviously we would have been complaining about this if none of those versions had been working! But we weren't, because it did work.

So now I guess what they are saying is that I need to uninstall PD 14 and go back and find my PD 13 install files, reinstall PD 13, take more screen shots showing it worked, then uninstall it, upgrade to 14 again, and show again that it does not work.

Oh, and for some reason in my tech support, as I have a ticket there, they either don't reply to me, or they give me the word for word reply they give you but a week or so after they give it to you.

I give up. They admit it doesn't work in PD14, now after all of this back and forth they are saying hey, it NEVER worked! Not in PD11, PD12, PD13 either! Unless you used out of date drivers that are almost two years old! You just never noticed before! Do they REALLY think someone like me wouldn't have noticed all this time that PD13, for example, that I used almost daily, didn't work with my video card???

I give up. I'm not willing to uninstall PD 13, try to find my all my install files again for PD13, install it, take screenshots to show it is working, then upgrade again with PD 14, then more screenshots again. At which point I'm sure they will come up again with why it's not their fault.
Skibbbi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2016 06:45 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have the same problem. I have laptop Lenovo y50-70 http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50-uhd/#59445753

Other programs exp. Sketchup 2016, OctaneRender (CUDA rendering program) use 960M with no problem.

Why PowerDirector can't use Nvidia 960M properly? Why another program can use Nvidia 960M properly?

Cyberlink - don't bury your head in the sand

Regards,

Krzysztof