Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
FIXED-PD 13 ISO image of DVD won't play - Please Help
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,

I have created a 30 minute flyfishing video with PD 13.

When I PRODUCE a DVD (2D) using CREATE DISC it takes about 30 min to render and write to my DVD and plays perfectly on my Samsung Home Theater BluRay Player. I want to make 10 copies for our club so I used PD13 to create an ISO Image which I can burn to DVD in about 3 minutes.

The resulting ISO file plays perfectly with menus using VLC MEDIA PLAYER.

I have used IMGBURN and NERO Burning Rom to write the ISO File to DVD and the resulting DVD will not play on my Samsung BluRay player. It says "cannot load disc".

Any suggestions as to why the ISO disc image will not play?? Or what I am doing wrong?

I thought an ISO image would be an easy way to produce duplicate DVD's as needed??

Thanks,

Al

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2015 02:14

Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
An ISO is not a DVD. It's an 'image' of the disc in a single file that contains everything from the DVD but being a single file it doesn't have the correct structure (folders and files) that a DVD player needs to see. You need to burn as a true DVD or BD disc.

p.s. In the past, when I was still working and producing dozens of different DVD's and CD's a month, I used to store an ISO of each one on our network. I always did an initial run of around 500 discs initially but then very often had to run more off and that was where the ISO was useful for me. I used Nero at that time and could simply load the ISO in question and run it off as needed, a quicker process than having to read an original disc in.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 16. 2015 05:06

BillW [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 15, 2015 09:24 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
If you have already produced a DVD that plays ("using CREATE DISC") you can load it into your drive and go to Start > Computer > right click on the drive and select 'Open' > And there you will see a VIDEO_TS folder and possibly an AUDIO_TS folder along with it that's usually empty.

You can drag and drop the folder(s) from the disc to any location on your computer and then burn them back to a new DVD using ImgBurn's "Write Files and Folders to Disc" option (just click the option and you can just drag and drop the folder(s) into the open area of the ImgBurn window) and it will see what you are trying to burn and burn it in the correct ISO9660+UDF format recognized by DVD & Blu-ray players. After adding the folders to ImgBurn you should check the 'Device' tab and set the write speed to one of the supported write speeds listed there for your drive and that type media.

Also, by default the 'verify' option will be checked. It's a good idea to leave that checked as once burning is complete it will check the files on the burned disc back against the source files to make sure that there were no write errors, which are unfortunately common especially with some DVD media and will result in disc playback issues or even not being recognized by the player. The 'verify' option will take longer but it's worth it. If you do get any errors you have a failed burn and should toss that disc, & you might try using a slower supported write speed for burning on the next one. I generally find the most reliable results burning at the the slowest supported speed. It helps to use good media also. Some brands of discs are much worse than others and can result in a very high percentage of failed burn rates.

Another, albeit less likely, issue that you may be running into is your player might not be recognizing the type of DVD disc you are burning to. DVDs come in a (+R) and a (-R) option. Most players these days will play discs burned to either one, but some maye not play the newer (+R) type. A workaround for that is to set the booktype of the DVD+R disc to make the player think it is a DVD-ROM disc. You can also do that with ImgBurn. Just google "setting booktype' and you will find more info about the issue and how to use ImgBurn to fix it.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 16. 2015 05:30

AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: An ISO is not a DVD. It's an 'image' of the disc in a single file that contains everything from the DVD but being a single file it doesn't have the correct structure (folders and files) that a DVD player needs to see. You need to burn as a true DVD or BD disc.

p.s. In the past, when I was still working and producing dozens of different DVD's and CD's a month, I used to store an ISO of each one on our network. I always did an initial run of around 500 discs initially but then very often had to run more off and that was where the ISO was useful for me. I used Nero at that time and could simply load the ISO in question and run it off as needed, a quicker process than having to read an original disc in.

Thanks Longedge,

I am a bit confused - I thought an ISO image was just that - a mirror image of the disk. Why does VLC media player play it perfectly with menus etc?

Please explain how you used Nero to produce DVD's from the the ISO on your netork. That could work for me.

What is the ISO option in PD13 used for?

I'm trying to store my output DVD on my hard drive so that I can make copies as needed without going through the lengthy process of using PD13 to re-render and creatre a disk from the project every time I need one.

Thanks Again for your help,

Al

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 16. 2015 05:47

Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Please explain how you used Nero to produce DVD's from the the ISO on your netork. That could work for me.

What is the ISO option in PD13 used for?

OK - I had access to pretty much limitless storage on our network which was fully back up by our IT Dept twice daily so it was safe. I produced support, training and teaching materials for distribution to all our schools for use by staff and pupils. I produced the CD's and DVD's and then duplicated the initial batch. As part of my routine I also created an ISO of each disc which was stored in an indexed (full details in a searchable database) folder structure on our network servers. When a colleague came to me with a "Can I have a copy of that xxxxx CD we sent out last year", I could quickly run Nero, load the file and burn a copy - 5 minutes and job done. At that time Nero could handle true ISO's as well as it's own native atrchive file type, I don't know if that's still the case as I haven't used it for several years now.

I've never used or even looked at ISO's within PD but as far as I'm concerned, an ISO is an archival file format. There are many apps that will handle ISO's but I no longer have any use for them myself. I'm not good at analogies but I think of a filing cabinet where anyone can go and find current files. Once they are out of date you take all the stuff out and put it all into one big box each item marked to say where it came from. You can find a current file in seconds but it could take days to find an archived file. Not a good example I'm afraid.

A DVD player needs to see the folder structure it expects, not a single big file.
BillW [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 15, 2015 09:24 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Can you mount the ISO in a virtual drive (like the free Virtual Clonedrive or Daemon Tools Lite) and open it to see what the file/folder structure is of the ISO that PD saves?

In any case, even if the ISO PD saves is not in a VIDEO_TS folder format filled with .VOB (video object), .IFO (info) and .BUP (backup) files that a DVD player needs you can always just use the copy of the disc you created using CREATE DISC that does play for you to make more copies from it in the manner I detailed above.

You can also just insert the disc that plays for you into your drive and open ImgBurn and select 'Create Image File from Disc' option to create an ISO from it that will be in a proper format to burn and play in a DVD or Blu-ray player. If it's a dual layer DVD then ImgBurn will prompt you through selecting the proper layer break needed for it and it will save as an ISO and MDS file and to burn to new DVD just right click the MDS and select 'Burn using ImgBurn'.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Mar 16. 2015 08:42

Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
If you do this often, you might want to look into getting a duplicator. I have a 1 to 3 Pro Duplicator with a hard drive.
I can put a DVD/CD in, make an iso image, and store that on the HD. I can then write as many as 4 discs at the same time.
I use it to make as many as 100 discs of our senior center yearly productions. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
AlS
[Post New]
Quote: You can drag and drop the folder(s) from the disc to any location on your computer and then burn them back to a new DVD using ImgBurn's "Write Files and Folders to Disc" option (just click the option and you can just drag and drop the folder(s) into the open area of the ImgBurn window) and it will see what you are trying to burn and burn it in the correct ISO9660+UDF format recognized by DVD & Blu-ray players. After adding the folders to ImgBurn you should check the 'Device' tab and set the write speed to one of the supported write speeds listed there for your drive and that type media.

Thanks BillW,

I didn't know there were other types of ISO images.

If PD13 could generate the ISO9660+UDF it would save us a lot of headaches. It seems strange to me that they would generate a non-playable ISO image. Should we request it from Cyberlink or is there a reason they don't do it??

Al Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I would LOVE if this worked. My NAS has a BR burner and iscsi always disconnects, causing other problems, and being able to use an iso would be great, I could just burn as data. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Before burning I would ask one simple question - Who is it for?

My answer was always "everyone" and so I had to produce 'standard' discs that would play in every device for which they were meant.

If the disc is only for you then it doesn't matter. I'd say experiment and find what suits you, but take into consideration that in future your current player will give up the ghost so take that into consideration - now then where are those betamax tapes...... laughing
AlS
[Post New]
Quote: If you have already produced a DVD that plays ("using CREATE DISC" you can load it into your drive and go to Start > Computer > right click on the drive and select 'Open' > And there you will see a VIDEO_TS folder and possibly an AUDIO_TS folder along with it that's usually empty.

You can drag and drop the folder(s) from the disc to any location on your computer and then burn them back to a new DVD using ImgBurn's "Write Files and Folders to Disc" option (just click the option and you can just drag and drop the folder(s) into the open area of the ImgBurn window) and it will see what you are trying to burn and burn it in the correct ISO9660+UDF format recognized by DVD & Blu-ray players. After adding the folders to ImgBurn you should check the 'Device' tab and set the write speed to one of the supported write speeds listed there for your drive and that type media.

I tried BillW's tip with ImgBurn using a playable DVD created by PD13 using the copied folders from the DVD using "Write Files and Folders to Disc" but the DVD would not load on my player.

I noticed ImgBurn has several UDF versions to choose from.

Which is correct - or does it make any difference??

Thanks

Al Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
AlS
[Post New]
Quote: Can you mount the ISO in a virtual drive (like the free Virtual Clonedrive or Daemon Tools Lite) and open it to see what the file/folder structure is of the ISO that PD saves?

In any case, even if the ISO PD saves is not in a VIDEO_TS folder format filled with .VOB (video object), .IFO (info) and .BUP (backup) files that a DVD player needs you can always just use the copy of the disc you created using CREATE DISC that does play for you to make more copies from it in the manner I detailed above.

You can also just insert the disc that plays for you into your drive and open ImgBurn and select 'Create Image File from Disc' option to create an ISO from it that will be in a proper format to burn and play in a DVD or Blu-ray player. If it's a dual layer DVD then ImgBurn will prompt you through selecting the proper layer break needed for it and it will save as an ISO and MDS file and to burn to new DVD just right click the MDS and select 'Burn using ImgBurn'.

I tried BillW's other suggestion above using ImgBurn. When I use the playable disc and "Create Image File from Disc" I get an error from Img Burn. (see attached image).
[Thumb - ImgBrn.jpg]
 Filename
ImgBrn.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
190 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
206 time(s)
AlS
[Post New]
Another Topic with same problem.
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43052.page

My understanding is that IF you use the ISO image saved by PD13, you must use "Cyberlink ISO Viewer" to open it and create a playable DVD from the ISO image.
My PD13 Ultimate did not come with this software. It apparently is part of Cyberlink's Power2Go software.

If I am correct, then why is CYBERLINK giving us the ISO file feature in PD13 if we need to buy more software in order to use it?
Surely Cyberlink ISO Viewer should come with PD13 OR PD13 should create an ISO9660+UDF format recognized by DVD & Blu-ray players.frown

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2015 05:22

Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
The opening statment in the Wiki about ISO files reads, "An ISO image is an archive file of an optical disc". They have other uses granted but the original purpose of ISOs was for archiving so:-

1. Is the intention to burn a DVD to be played on a standard DVD player, then why not just do that directly from PD?

2. If you are using the final output to play on a computer e.g. using VLC then why not produce to .wmv or similar?

AlS
[Post New]
OK I have finally cracked the problem and can now create playable DVDs from a PD13 ISO image at high speed.

I have tested it and it works!!

1) In PD13 select "Create Disc" then under the 2D Disc tab choose DVD or BluRay and your settings.

2) Next select "Burn in 2D" (I haven't tried 3D yet).

3) Under "Final Output" select "Save As Disc Image". It will then render and create the ISO image of the project.

4) Download and install Power2Go 10 Essentials - Its FREE software and does not expire!!!!

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/power2go-platinum/download_en_US.html

5) Right click on your PD13 ISo created above and select "Open With" Cyberlink ISO Viewer

6) In ISO Viewer choose "Burn To Disc" Icon and you will create a playable DVD from the ISO.

Its fast, easy, and free. I used a 45min PD13 project. PD13 took 30 min to render and write a DVD.

ISO Viewer took 3 min to write a DVD from the ISO image - and the quality is perfect!

UPDATE - I also used the same project to create a BluRay (H.264) DVD. PD13 took over an ahour to render and create the DVD. ISO Viewer creates the BluRay DVD in 3 min from the BluRay ISO.

Now I can quickly create project DVD's on demand!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26. 2015 07:32

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]

Good info, thanks for posting.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2015 06:45

Fabbian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2015 13:27 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: 4) Download and install Power2Go 10 Essentials - Its FREE software and does not expire!!!!

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/power2go-platinum/download_en_US.html

I did the same steps except for this one. Apparently Power2Go was included on my PD13 distribution disk, so I thought it was part of the package. It's good to know where it comes from if someone is asking how to find it.
Fabbian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2015 13:27 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
2) Next select "Burn in 2D" (I haven't tried 3D yet).

It works with 3D BD as well. Creating the ISO file and burning the Blu-Ray disc take a bit longer, but there's quite a bit more data involved. The general method you outlined should work for any combination of DVD, BD, 2D or 3D.
AlS
[Post New]
Quote:
Dafydd

Dafydd

PD13 manual doesn't explain what ISO is for. Maybe you can add to PD13 suggestions and ask the to include ISO Viewer with PD13 software.

Thanks Al Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
AlS
[Post New]
Quote:
Dafydd

Bad news - Power2Go 10 trial expired leaving me with Essentials - which does not write DVD from PDR13 ISO img.

They are forcing us to buy more software to make use of the PDR13 ISO img feature. Problem is that the PDR13 ISO does not play when img is burned to disk. The only way I found to get a playable DVD was with P2Go.

Surely Cyberlink needs to either include the feature with free P2Go Essentials OR PDR13 should create a playable DVD ISO img???
[Thumb - P2Go.jpg]
 Filename
P2Go.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
P2Go Error msg
 Filesize
188 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
134 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2015 05:06