Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD burning stops at 21%
[Post New]
Perry:

I've found that if you make changes to the menus in the "create Disk" page it's best to do a "Save Project" then exit PD then re-start it and reload your project before burning it. Also put the blank in the burner and wait for the Windoze message that asks what you want to do with the disk before you run PD. If you put the disk in the drive while PD is running you'll get a drink coaster almost every time. Scott Hendry
www.scotthendry.com
YouTube username TheCscottHendry
schmoo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 13, 2010 06:37 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
HI i had this same issue.
I have previously created movies with transistions with no problems.
Although the last one i tried, kept app crashing at 21 %.
Only thing i had done differently was "fix/enhance the photos".
I undid this action and first pop, burned all the way.
Hope this helps others
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Some more information for Cyberlink, fellow customers and Dafydd

I tried to burn, if that is the right word, a complicated 1280X920 4:3 aspect ratio video stretched in a pip track to 16:9, to a removable SD card and it crashed at 21% even when only using 2 of the 8 i7cpu cores.........I then tried to do the same thing but this time with a standard 1280X720 video with no editing and it burned fine to the SD card.

1. I have had the problem with PD from PD6 whenever I try to either burn or produce complicated videos to 1080. 720 videos are fine.

2. My opinion is it is a memory problem. Testing I did years ago showed when trying to burn a 45meg video with many pips and complicated editing PD wanted to use over 2gig of ram!!!! and 32 bit windows will not allow any single program to use more than 2gig of ram.

I am running Windows 32 bit Vista with a i7 920 cpu with 3gig of triple memory ram

Come on Cyberlink 2 years with the same problem is getting tiresome.

EDIT====== this is the video I was trying to burn ? to an 8gig SD card. I was able to produce it to 1080 so it must have just been just one step too far to go for the burn to DVD or SD card.

Cheers

Robert2 S

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 15. 2010 04:02

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
I am getting tired of this beta testing of released software but anyway here is what I have found today.

Attempting to burn a small section of the beginning of the above video in my previous post to a folder which was created with no video in the master track. results is this.

1. The countdown of "time to go" doesn't start until near 21% on the progress bar, so obviously it is doing something before it gets to burning the video.

2. It burned up to the end of the title track but not the pip track.

3. If I put a short video in the Master track in front of the title track and pip track it burns up until the pip starts then it freezes the same as it does at 21% but now at whatever the percentage of the whole track has been done. It does produce in the folder a video of the short video in the master track and the title track but no pip track.

4. Now this is the most puzzling part even when the progress bar freezes at 21% my cpu continues to be used at 100% (using 2 cores of my i7cpu) and the hard drive is being accessed even though no video is saved, the countdown timer just counts down to 1 sec, the time elapsed continues on forever and the progress bar stops at 21% or where ever it stopped at and nothing else happens other than my cpu still running at 100% until I cancel the burn, at which time I find a partially burned video in my folder

........weirder and weirder..... I also experimented with putting a sound clip in the voice track just butting up to the start of the pip track to see if it would grab onto the pip track and it did it burned 5 seconds into the pip track.

Give me a break while I was typing this I had another test clip running and I noticed that the countdown timer after it reached 1 second and stayed there for a good 3-4 minutes suddenly went back up to 5 minutes and the cpu is still at 100%. the progress bar has jumped to 47% so I will sit here for another 5 minutes then I am done. My god they pay people to do this don't they!!! not their customers!!!

Well I am done, it has worked it's way down to 1 second again and stopped with the progress bar at 61% now. I am going to stop it as it has been over 15 minutes..........well again as I am typing this it just shot up again to 3 minutes and suddenly the video is finished.

Bottom line is my test video was only 30 seconds long and it should not take nearly 20 minutes to burn a AVCHD 1080 video to a folder and I had "Enable hardware video encoder" enabled.

Maybe if I was getting paid for this I might do some more testing, but that is enough hours out of my life I won't get back again.

Final results.

1. Having an audio clip under the title track keep the video producing into the pip track.

2. Even if the timer gets down to 1 sec if the cpu is still at 100% something is still going on.

3. It may have taken longer because I had my cpu throttled down to 2 cores, I don't know if I feel better in the morning I may try it with all of the 8 cores enabled. Although using 2 cores is the ONLY way I can produce 1080 video.

I am off to bed.

Robert2 S
[Post New]
The first 21% is the menu. Try monitoring in Taskmanager to see what is happening after the 21% part. Try a different menu. See my results above.

Just by chance you didn't skip the install of Quicktime did you. Install latest version of that and reinstall PD. I don't know where they use Quicktime, maybe the menus, but I just thought it might be a possibility.

Can you toggle "Enable hardware video encoder" or is it grayed. If grayed it may not actually be on. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Velocity Micro
Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz
RAM 6GB
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS v258.96
ViewSonic VX2255wm-4 dual extended display
K-Lite 32bit & 64bit
1680x1050
Windows 7 Basic background no Aero
Hitachi 400gb system dr
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Hi KenR,

1. I have the latest Quicktime Pro installed.

2. Enable hardware video encoder is able to be toggled.

3. I just tried to to burn the same project as last night but using the full 8 cores of my i7cpu and it raced through the 21% mark all the way till it hit the pip track and then said "Burning unsuccessful" and left a video of everything up to the start of the pip track.

I am sorry but I am not prepared to go any further down the rabbit hole. Surely this simple test can be done by Cyberlink where they pay people to do this sort of stuff.

If anyone wants to try it here is what I think is causing the problem.

A pip track video that has been recorded at 1280X960 4:3 aspect ratio dropped into a project set to 16:9 aspect ratio and video enhance added to the video. You don't have to use those exact ratios I think it is the extra workload of changing ratios and video enhance stresses the program, similar to people having problems with the stabilisation effect etc.

I still think it is something to do with the way PD handles memory and transitions as virtually none of my projects have failed halfway through a clip it is always at a transition between two clips. There is also something going on with i7 cpu's as well.

EDIT=== Plus it always seems to be when producing 1080 videos not 720 again going that one step too far.

Anyway have fun down the rabbit hole and I hope the queen doesn't cut off your head.

Cheers

Robert2 S

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2010 19:21

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
This is what this forum is all about. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
It looks like you found the processor threads. I have two processor i7 an didn't know I had to indicate that in the Advanced Boot Option, so I set mine to 2 and that seemed to help.

One other thing I notice when I have failure, the HD setting likes to revert back to MPEG instead of H.264. I always have problem when doing MPEG HD burn to disk.

Also you might try converting the 4:3 video to 16:9 by itself and then reimport it into your PiP. Might need to use a different program to do that if this one crashes.

It's definitely the community that keeps me here, not the program. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Velocity Micro
Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz
RAM 6GB
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS v258.96
ViewSonic VX2255wm-4 dual extended display
K-Lite 32bit & 64bit
1680x1050
Windows 7 Basic background no Aero
Hitachi 400gb system dr
John [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 30, 2010 20:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I also have the exact issue with the 21% because I am using a menu if you remove the menu then it is 0 % I am rinning a older PC with an Intel P4 2.8 GHZ I will follow the instructions as listed above to see if that works
Branislav 2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2010 15:46 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem (crash at 21% with menu, and 0% without menu), but ONLY when ENCODING is NOT necessary! So, I've found SOLUTION:
Put a very small portion of VOID video at the first 10 seconds of movie (it can be empty text, particle, PiP or whatever), just to trigger encoding machine at the START of the rendering.
I suspect that there is a bug in PD, when NO encoding is neglected - maybe hitting some zero pointer or something like that.

I will be grateful to the others members if they check conditions about encoding in their video. The simplest way to do that is to check SVRT information (Menu, View, SVRT Information).