Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD burning stops at 21%
PerryL [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2009 18:16 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I am having a problem when Creating a Disc (burning a DVD) it crashes/freezes at 21%. I have been using PD 7u for a year now and just upgraded to PD 8u today. I tried burning several different projects, some of them that burned just fine in PD7 (I opened and saved them in PD8 first before attempting to burn). I restarted my computer several times, and even uninstalled and reinstalled PD8u. Even when burning to DVD+R , DVD+RW, and Creating a File it always stops at 21%. To be more specific; when I click burn it starts out at 0%, the time elapsed begins to count, and the time remaining shows “- - “ At 10% complete elapsed time reads 00:01:03 and time remaining reads “- -“ and this continues until it gets to 21% the elapse time continues to count up but all the sudden a time in time remain appears (~00:06:00) and beings to count down. As it counts down the percentage doesn’t increase but the elapse time does. Once the time remaining gets to 00:00:01 it just stops, percentage complete still reads 21%, and the elapsed time continues to increase. I have let it continue until the elapse time reads over an hour, but nothing happens. I have attempted at least 10 times with different projects (the projects play just fine in the Edit Timeline view) and this is the exact same result every time. What can I do to fix this?

It was mentioned in another forum that the menu usually takes until 21%, so when trying to burn without a menu it just stays at 0%, the time elapse counts, and the time remaining shows "--"
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Perry -

Burn issues are very common & have ben talked about at length in the PD forums. If you use the Search button (top) and use the keyword "burn", you'll find many many posts about this.

The short answer is:
1. PD doesn't burn brilliantly (euphemism).
2. Burn to a DVD folder first, then
3. Use dedicated burn software to make your disc - like Nero or imgburn.

That's the stock response and it will work for you.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
PerryL [Avatar]
[Post New]
As mentioned in my post, it does the same thing even when i attempt to Create a DVD Folder. The exact same response as listed above.
PerryL [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have imagines of both DVD burning and Creating a DVD folder, but for some reason its having a hard time posting the attached files. Anyhow, it's the exact same response and outcome as listed in the original post.
PerryL [Avatar]
[Post New]
21% time remaining begins
[Thumb - 21%_Folder_1.jpg]
 Filename
21%_Folder_1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
452 time(s)
PerryL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just like the other imagine above, this is when attempting to create a DVD folder. The exact same thing happens as listed in the original post. This imagine is at the 21% and the time remaining is frozen at 00:00:01 while the time elapse continues to count.
[Thumb - 21%_Folder_2.jpg]
 Filename
21%_Folder_2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
93 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
413 time(s)
Phil [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 02, 2009 09:42 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]

I've got a similar problem except PowerDirector 8 crashes at random places during the process. There's not really much in the way of answers here.

I have noticed the general advice to remove all transitions and extras from your timeline. I guess you would want to try that on a copy of the original project. If it's doing this always at the same spot it's running into something it doesn't like. I wish my problem was that simple. It seems like great software but it also seems to be very unstable.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have noticed the general advice to remove all transitions and extras from your timeline. I guess you would want to try that on a copy of the original project.

That's always good advice when making major changes.

If it's doing this always at the same spot it's running into something it doesn't like.

Thinking back, I did once have a burn error. I found a bad spot in my video. I cut out about 10 seconds and solved the problem. That may, or may not, be the problem here. Just throwing it out there. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
pinchas klimash [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2009 14:21 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
what the support write me about this problem
Last login time: 2009-08-31 11:22:07.577
Your Question Our Reply
pinchas kalimash Asked 2009-08-31 11:22:07.577 vcakhilesh Reply 2009-09-01 04:19:37.387
when i try to burn dvd whith my power direktor 8 i have this problem "aytorin mrg could not do file access for temporary files" .

Dear Pinchas,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

We understand that you are getting error message while trying to burn DVD, using PowerDirector 8.

In regard to your issue we suggest you to follow the below steps:

1. To avoid any compatibility issues, please close all other software and utility applications including virus scans, screen saver and instant messaging software before you launch PowerDirector.

2. Empty the contents of the C:\Windows\temp folder and C:\temp folder, if you have one. To open temp folder, kindly follow the path:

Click on “Start” -> select “Run” command then type “%temp%” to open the temp folder. Select all files of the temp folder and delete them.

Empty the 'Recycle Bin' folder. Right click on the Recycle Bin folder and press on Empty folder.

3. Try to burn the project in the lowest possible recording speed to ensure the best quality and the integrity of the video. This option can be found by selecting Configuration button on the 'Burn' Configuration page.

4. Start Windows in Selective Startup mode, do the following steps:

a. Click on Start.
b. Click on Run.
c. Type “msconfig” and click on OK.
d. A System Configuration Utility window will come up.
e. On General tab, select Selective Startup.
f. Uncheck "Load Startup Items".
g. Click on Apply.
h. Click on OK.
i. Click on Close.
j. It will ask you to restart your computer. Click on "Restart".

5. Update the drivers of your Display card and the Sound card. To update the drivers we suggest you to contact the manufacturers of the Display card and Sound cards or visit their website.

6. Please check whether the drive where you have installed PowerDirector software has enough space on it. For example if you want to burn 5 GB of data on the DVD then you must have 25 GB of free space on your drive. As a large memory space is required for buffering while burning a DVD.

Now, try to create a "DVD Folder".

If issue persists, try to uninstall other CD/DVD burning software like Nero, EasyCD Creator, and DirectCD etc. Two burning softwares installed on the same computer are known to cause conflict due to common files in them.

To be sure that PowerDirector software is working fine, we suggest you to try to create a "DVD folder" first before burning the DVD. To create a "DVD folder" follow the steps given below:

1. Click 'Create Disc' once you have done all the editing with your project.

2. Click on the 'Burn Disc' button which is at the right hand side bottom of the screen.

3. The screen that will open, there is a checkbox 'Create a DVD folder' option, please select this option.

4. Click on 'OK' to burn.

If the "DVD folder" gets created then there will be some issue with your DVD drive.

To resolve you issue we suggest you to update the firmware of your DVD drive. To update the firmware we suggest you to contact the manufacturer of the DVD drive or visit their website.

However, if the issue persists then you will need to reinstall the software. Follow the steps below to reinstall your PowerDirector. Before installing your program, please close your MSN messenger. Since we found that MSN messenger may lock some installation programs.

Please follow the steps below to uninstall PowerDirector and then re-install:

(a) Start --> Programs --> CyberLink PowerDirector (uninstall it).

(b) Start --> Run (key in "regedit") --> HKEY_Current_User --> Software --> CyberLink --> PowerDirector --> delete the folder.

(c) Start --> Run (key in "regedit") --> HKEY_Local_Machine --> Software --> CyberLink --> PowerDirector --> delete the folder.

(d) Re-install PowerDirector.

(e) Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

Once you have reinstalled the software then try again to burn the DVD.

Please make sure that the total size of the project should not increase 4.3 GB as 5 to 6% of the disc space is used to store information related to the tracks and sectors.

We hope this will resolve your issue. However, if you still face any problem then for immediate response, please use this reference:

>> http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp <<

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products.

Thank You and Best Regards

CyberLink Technical Support

PerryL [Avatar]
[Post New]
The thing is, I can burn the same project in an mpeg2 format just fine. Though I have now noticed that all my pictures are blurry. The video is fine, but the pictures are blurry both in the timeline and in the mpeg2 format. When compared to the exact same project burned with PD7u, the quality is much worse in PD8u.
Keyan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2009 09:09 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
What type of source files are you using? (AVI, AVCHD, etc) and what resolution are they?

[Post New]
Had the same problem last night! Burning a double layer DVD - stops at 21% (Volume to be burned > than 4.7GB (whatever)

Writing has not begun so disk is still OK

Did a normal DVD (with other content) at about 75% capacity - that went like a dream.

Do always write image to disk first. 500GB+ free disk space

Intel i7 930 processor, 3 x 2GB 3DDR, Intel Switchover MB, Samsung DVD writers, Windows7 RC (64)

It did ask to send error message to ?? - said yes.

And what is that stupid advert in the middel of the window for? I paid for the S/W
Keyan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Again, what source media are you using?
[Post New]
In this case it was FLV files off YouTube - Both sessions -

Destination media was normal Verbatim DVD+RW printable and Dyasan dual layer DVDnot sure + or - RW

But it did not get to burning.

1 st session was 6 youTube sessions with Chapter Info - That went quick!
2nd session was 18 youTube sessions with Chapter Info - this was at 21% this morning (for 5+ hours) - re-ran it and it bombed out quite quickly at 21% (So time does not help!)

I have been using Power Director for many years and had v7 on the i7 Win7(64) untill v8 was released and have been using that successfully till I tired to do more than 4.7GB (What happened to the smart sizing??)

I will run it again when I get home this evening and see what messages I can catch - It did report messages and not the usual windows "Syscrash.exe" one ussually gets.

I'll be back!
Keyan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Interesting. Mine crashes every time I use 1920x1080 AVCHD as a source file, at the 21% point. I also have an i7, i wonder if it has something to do with the hardware Data Execution Prevention on the i7 and Cyberlink mishandling memory during the render process...but that is completely pure speculation and probably not correct

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Erich,
"FLV's off You Tube".
1. Using click and drop FLV's can be imported.
2. FLV is NOT listed as an acceptable import format with PD8!
I suggest you Produce the FLV to an acceptable format before trying to use Create Disc. Then bring the "acceptable format" which is recognised by PD back into PD8.

Dafydd

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Keyan,

I've seen quite a few i7 issues pop up - nothing definative. If you can explore that a bit more.

I chatted to forum member Bif about his i7 and so far he hasn't reported issues to me.

I'll email him this link to see if he has some feedback - he is a wonderful guy to know with loads of experience.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 03. 2009 13:36

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Perry,

I've done a bit of skim reading through your posts so i apologise now if I ask you to post something you have already.

1. Please can you post a diagnostic file?
2. I wonder if you can:
File > Export > Pack Project Materials > browse for a location and save your whole project contents.
3. Please ensure you show hidden files and extensions.
Folder > Tools > Folder options > View tab >
a) Uncheck "Hide extensions ....."
b) Check "Show hidden files and folders"
The instructions may be different for vista and I'm sure someone will jump in here.
4. Please display the contents in "list" form.
5. Please take a screen shot of the contents of the Packed Project and attach it here.

Now I'm looking for Shadow Edit files being present in your project.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 03. 2009 13:48

[Post New]
OK - back home - shut everything down, rebooted and only started PD8 and past project.

Burnt fine in 22 minutes although now stuck in LG RC288 player in READ mode!

Burnt another disk (BTW 8x DVD-RDL Verbatum) and this one went to 51% before - OK it does say:
Problem Event: APPCRASH.EXE )
Application Name: PDR8.exe
App Version: 8.0.0.1930
Timestamp: 4a71b564
Fault Module: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Modual ver: 6.1.7100.0 etc.etc.

Does not seem to be happy chappie!

Let me go and see if I can get the LG to give up it's bootie!
[Thumb - AppCrash.JPG]
 Filename
AppCrash.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screencapture of Crash
 Filesize
65 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
314 time(s)
[Post New]
Apologies - only reading the previous posts - FLV's worked OK with the 75% 4.7GB disk I editied and burnt before this one - works great!

So FLV must be "Compatible"