Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Speaker Noise and Crackle with MP3's
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stephanie

I can't really assist your problem, but thanks for the follow up message.

All too often we hear nothing back.

5 stars Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

StephanieNZ
Member Location: New Zealand Joined: Feb 01, 2011 19:20 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks so much Neil.

Soo, as I'm new here I'm wondering how long Tech Support take to answer PD9 issues and as its only 9 days since I bought it does anyone know of a download link for the Full Installation of PD9 ? ie Installation file and also Content ?

I looked in my account history on Cyberlink and my download files have gone despite them saying they would remain there for 30 days after purchasing.

And where do I stand if this problem cannot be fixed ?

I really do feel quite disappointed as I really do love the PD9 product.

Regards,

Stephanie. Just Love What You Do !
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
"does anyone know of a download link for the Full Installation of PD9 ?"

I have saved the installation files and also burnt them to disc but I ask about a fresh download of PD9 in the hope I may have Faulty installation files that have maybe caused this crackle problem.

Worth a shot. Just Love What You Do !
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

You could and send a PM to Dafydd (he's the moderator for the forum) and I believe he has direct contact with CL.

Good luck Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Troubleshooting your issue is not easy, I'm afraid. As JL indicates cracks and pops are often a mobo type of issue. I don't know how PD handles its timeline audio playback but certainly the timeline video playback is different to the media library playback - hence the posts on green/black screens, audio lags etc.

It might be worth downloading and installing DPC Latency checker http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml . It may show if your system is suffering from poor performance. It is worth reading the documentation, as the tool is a diagnostic not a fixer and you will have to selectively check peripherals etc and see the effect.

For what it's worth, I had a Gigabyte mobo that was very unstable, DPC latency checker showed large regular spikes, the culprit software (for the spikes) was Gigabyte's Easytune performance management software, which runs in the background. Once that was disabled, the system ran much better, not perfect because there were other issues.

From memory, I seem to recall that poor audio was a characteristic, but, since I was more interested in the more important total system lock up problem, I didn't investigate that in any depth.

My overall solution, after several weeks of troubleshooting, new power supplies etc etc, was a different mobo. Since then all has been well.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 28. 2011 04:15

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Hi Adrian and thanks for all the info. I'm afraid your 'thesycon' link came up as Not Found on server.

I'm going to try and get a Fresh Download link for the 2 PD9 installation files from Cyberlink and try that first to see if I've got a faulty installation file. I'm hoping I have and will be able to rectify this audio problem.

That's if Cyberlink reply to my 3 messages.

It's late and I'm shutting down for the night.

But thanks to everyone for your valued input.

Truly appreciated.

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Oops, it's the full stop.

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

I've edited the original.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
PM replied to.
Dafydd
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
In reply to the above post :

I am using PowerDirector 9. [ Paid Full version ]
Latest Update installed - 2504
Attached is a DxDiag

Will try and do all the rest requested in a minute.

Stephanie.
 Filename
StephanieDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
370 time(s)
Just Love What You Do !
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
For Information :

I uninstalled my PD9 this morning and downloaded a Trial installation and installed it as I have a few days of my trial left.

And I found that the crackle on MP3's on the timeline was there too on the Trial version.

Soo, I uninstalled the Trial and reinstalled my paid version.

At least I tried and it has put my mind at rest on that score.

I can import an MP3 to the timeline and click Keyframes and Denoise by setting the degree to 25 and selecting Clicking Noises and then the MP3 plays perfect all the way thru.

I can then, for example, add a simple photo and 'Produce' an MP4 and that too plays perfect.

Because of the total lack of response from the Tech Support as they have ignored my 3 informative messages from days ago of the problem, of which I feel is not good considering I have paid for the product, and also the number of different things I have tried, to try and rectify my problem I have totally resigned myself to the fact that I will just have to Denoise every single MP3 on the timeline with the Keyframes setting.

I guess that's a small price that I will have to pay for a product that I really do love.

I will continue to take advice and suggestions here if anyone can help with the crackle problem and just once again thank you all.

Stephanie Just Love What You Do !
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Hello Adrian...I downloaded the Latency Check software for my computer and the tests came out very good indeed. All green and no reds whatsoever. Hardly any latency at all.

At the bottom it said " This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio and/or video data without drop outs.

Soo, where to next I wonder ? Maybe check the drivers to see if there are any updates ?

Stephanie.

Just Love What You Do !
Des Towers
Member Location: Rotorua New Zealand Joined: Mar 29, 2007 18:57 Messages: 149 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stephanie,

This is possibly a stupid suggestion but for testing purposes do you have access to another computer, with the required specs, that you can install your download onto.? Just to see if you get the same results.
There seems to be a number of issues with the audio timeline. Saved voiceover files not loading or taking unacceptable time to load. Edited audio in WaveEditor not loading . I have both these problems and I hope the next patch will correct this BUG.
I am unable to replicate your problem. All my MP3 files load OK.

Des

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
VM Windows Professional XP
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM DDR3
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Chip type: ATI display adapter 0x68B8
Motherboard ASUS P7P55D-E
1TG Hardrive
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I have the Creative 5.1 xfi THX USB card. I had the same crackling and wavy/warbling sounding static. My on board audio had died and I had no spare pci slots so I went with the USB. The static only happened in a couple of programs, not all of them. In the beginning with the Creative card I was not using my PD8 (between projects) so I do not recall running PD8 during that time.

The ONLY thing that helped was to keep getting the newest released audio drivers, and eventually (after about 4 months) it stopped after several new releases from Creative. It is a known issue with the 5.1 cards whether PCI or USB.

I do not know if the drivers would be an issue, but make absolutely sure your Creative drivers are up to date.

Also for my 5.1 the latest release was yesterday.....

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 01. 2011 16:40

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Hi Des and it's interesting to know there are others with audio timeline issues.

There is another computer in this house and is a Vista system. It might be okay spec wise for PD9 but trying to persuade the 'other half' to have PD9 installed on his machine may be a feat mightier than cyberlink technical support !

But I will try as that action may put to rest certain ideas/hunches that me and others have as to what might be causing this audio problem.

Thank you Des.

Regards,

StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Hi Bubba and thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I did check the SB5.1 drivers online at Creative but they say there is nothing new to update.

I did try to switch my audio to Realtek the other day, as suggested by someone here, and although i did it in Control Panel and re-booted when I tried any audio there was nothing at all...not even audio of the PC booting up.

Soo, I checked in control panel and elsewhere and Realtek was the new default but just no sound...

Soo, I had to switch back to SB5.1...

Perhaps I was doing something wrong ? or something is missing on the PC for Realtek ? I will check this out because if I can get the audio to work on Realtex I can then eliminate SB5.1 as the problem 'if' PD9 still crackles on the timeline.

I've asked a few times on this forum but 'why' is it ONLY PD9 that plays good quality MP3's and turns them crackly ? Why doesn't it happen on Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 or TrakAxPc Pro or VLC or Real Player or Windows Media Player ?

If it was a problem with a codec or driver or something then wouldn't that affect ALL media and Video Editing Software ?

Why just PD9 ? >curious<

Regards,

StephanieNZ
[Post New]
The Other Half has agreed to trial PD9 on his Vista system to see if it Crackles on the timeline !!

Tally Ho !

Will let you all know what happens.

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Well... I hope we figure it out because this is going to be one for the record book.....

PD9 unlike any other version, may look the same, but is a different animal. It is very finicky about drivers and codecs we have found. BUT I am still 32 bit. Having tried 64 bit in the Win7 beta trilas... I had problems, but with the 32 bit I do not have the problems some may have in here with 64 bit. Then we start the debate about64 bit performance ect... ect... I have no performance issues and I always seem to be able to make my videos. (Except with version 7, but that's another time and place and I was using Pissta...er.. Vista, Windows 2000 is better than Vista, I had to suffer with it on 4 machines till the Win7 beta program started)

For the last 2 years with the Creative USB I would still get a "snap" every now and then. But installing the new driver for mine yesterday I have not head one yet. (finger crossed)

Just hang in there..... lots of good people here that really know how PD9 works and knows how to do work arounds. (wish I was one of them)

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Okay, my other half has installed PD9 trial onto his Windows Vista SP2 machine and loaded the very same 'Good' Mp3's onto his timeline that are causing 'me' problems and they play ABSOLUTELY PERFECT on his machine !!

Soo, we've established then that it is NOT the PD9 installation files and it is something to do with my computer system and I'm soo glad we've narrowed it down.

Soo, what is left to check ?

codecs ? drivers ?

Advice anyone ?

and Many, many thanks.

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I had analyzed the corrupt file you posted and the dominate noise in the crackle is ~50Hz, I assume you must live in a 50Hz power supply country. I've seen that issue a fair amount with SB (60Hz in my case), some times moving card to a different PCI slot helps, your drivers are also 2007 vintage. I really think the issue points to your SB and why I indicated early to revert to your Realtek onboard audio chip instead and see if you still have the issue. The reason you had no sound in your attempt, maybe you have disabled onboard sound in the BIOS? Since this is a PD forum, I don't feel I should say much more, maybe a qualified PC shop could assist you in restoring the Realtek audio to see if your problem persists.

Jeff
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Stephanie,

At the risk of insulting you, not my intention by the way, but when you switched to the Realtek sound, did you remember to plug the speakers into the sound ports for the Realtek card.

Remember, no insult is intended, but I had to ask the obvious question.

Hope we figure what is the problem with your system.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
StephanieNZ
[Post New]
Hi Hal, yes, I didn't change the plug from SB5.1 to Realtex !! >blonde moment< ! LOL well it's been a long few days here !

Anyway, I've just totally updated all my Gigabyte motherboard drivers and Realtek Audio and also my G41 Chipset and I'm afraid that the crackle is still there on both either my updated Realtek Audio or either my SB 5.1 sound on PD9.

Soo, I'm at a total loss and my other half has heard enough from me this afternoon so I guess I'll just have to put up with the crackle on MP3 audio on the timeline and get rid of it with Keyframes.

I did have a look at Device Manager and went to audio sounds and looked at the Codecs thinking maybe one of them needed updating as someone here mentioned that and I picked out a particular one and thought, 'hmm, maybe this needs updating ? and of course I right clicked and found it was a Cyberlink MP3 Power Encoder !! LOL

There are 13 'codecs' / objects in the right click audio codecs section. One of them sounds german and one is from/for 'Sipro lab telecom audio' ? I don't know anything about codecs and updating them so i'm leaving them alone for the now. Not sure what else i can check.

Soo, I guess I'll have to use Keyframes or convert the MP3's to WAV's. WAV files work fine. In the meantime I'll keep looking thru my system for that one difference between my computer and my other half's !

Many Thanks everyone,

Stephanie.

Just Love What You Do !