Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Has the Slow Motion feature been improved in PD12?
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
I do hope Cyberlink has made the slow motion feature more "Twixtor" like in the new PowerDirector 12.

Has anyone looked at the slo-mo yet? ~Tom~
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I do hope Cyberlink has made the slow motion feature more "Twixtor" like in the new PowerDirector 12.

Has anyone looked at the slo-mo yet?

Please see the attached image for the Video Speed Power Tool.

[Thumb - SD-2013-02-220.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-220.png
[Disk]
 Description
Video speed
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2164 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 06. 2013 14:15

Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Looks the same. Thanks Dafydd. ~Tom~
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Looks the same. Thanks Dafydd.

Hi Kmot,
You're most welcome. A picture tells a story. It is by far the quickest way to get a message across... we all know that.
Dafydd
Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
Does the 'slow motion with frame interpolated technology' use "Optical Flow" algorithms? If not, there's an open source program out there called 'slowmoVideo' that creates AMAZING super slo-mo video from your non slo-mo video (google it and check out the super cool demo video(s)). Anyway, the code is open source, so Cyberlink could probably incorporate it into PD13!

Russell
System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
Brandon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2013 21:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Can anyone provide a link to an example using slow motion and frame interpolation? I searched youtube but can't find any examples. I want to do some high quality slow motion editing on a budget seeing that I can't afford advanced software such as twixtor.

Thanks for your help,
Brandon
Kmot
[Post New]
SlowMoVideo is not plug and play! There is a learning curve. But it is pretty decent from what I have seen so far. Here is my first effort:

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 23. 2013 04:10

~Tom~
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Can anyone provide a link to an example using slow motion and frame interpolation?

Probably not, I've never been able to actually see any frame interpolation in PD method, yes it says it does, but PD carries out no interpolation between frames that I have seen. What I see is it just duplicates frames to get the correct adjustment. Without frame interpolation technology, slowing down to .25 gives 1 frame + 3 duplicates of that frame, next frame + 3 duplicates of that frame. With frame interpolation at .25, 1 frame + 3 duplicates of that frame, next frame + 3 duplicates of that frame. I can't see any change in PD12 vs previous versions. Method has acceptable results for some video but nothing like high end slo mo.

A few links of previous version discussions with a similar take.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24708.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13989.page

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2013 09:29

Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah, the definition of interpolated is technically accurate here, but still not quite right. (The frames themselves are not altered, just their frequency - the number of times they are duplicated or removed in the clip).

If you want to see some AMAZING super slo-mo done with software (versus an actual high frame rate camera), check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkg0-z8OVxY
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiqXN2r2c9Y

It's an open source program (slomoVideo) that uses "Optical Flow" to perform its magic. You can even have video speed up/slow down variably in the same video clip. Check it out! Would be a nice companion to PD12! (It is open source after all!)

Russell

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 23. 2013 22:22

System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
Brandon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2013 21:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your replies (sorry Kmot I didn't mean to hijack your thread). Russel, that is exactly what I ultimately want to achieve; however, my programming knowledge is somewhat limited. CyberLink needs to hop on the bandwagon with this stuff seeing that gopros are everywhere these days.
Russell1967
[Post New]
Of course the best option is to shoot the video footage in high speed to begin with, but most of those cameras aren't cheap! Plus, using this software method (slomoVideo) you can crank the calculated frame rate up to THOUSANDS of interpolated frames per second - and they look just as good!

Since this code is open source, it would be nice to see it in maybe the next version of PowerDirector.

Russell System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
There is a new stand-alone from PRODAD. I will not post the live link, yet, but have pm'd you, though PRODAD is easy to Google.
This looks very promising. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Kmot
[Post New]
Thank you sir! ~Tom~
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I've now tested this. Hokey smokes! Incredible.
Gee, I wish this were a PD plug-in...but the price is within reason. OOOOOhhhhhh, Cyyyberliiiinnnnk, take a look at this when you're not here.

EDIT: The created slo-mo file was easily brought into PowerDirector.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 16. 2013 20:07

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Russell1967
[Post New]
Hopefully it has a keyframe curve editor so you can speed up and slow down the video at will - For those Zack Snyder "300" moments...

Very cool!

The white paper explaining how it works (Google 'optical flow') is also very interesting. It works best with quick shutter times because the less blur in the shot the better, so that means lots of light is needed in the shot (Outdoor shooting on a bright sunny day works great!).

Later,
Russell1967 System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
Kmot
[Post New]
OK, I tested it. After making two slow motion versions of the same clip I was completely blown away and bought the license.

Here are some things I noticed with my sample clip which was shot at 30 FPS from a GoPro Hero2:

Clip 1, slowed down 5 times. Absolutely flawless. The clip is of my dog riding in my truck, head out the window. The wind is blowing her hair and ears. Lots of fluid motion. At 5 times, the slow motion is uncanny. There seems like zero loss of the fine quality of her hair being rustled by the wind. Her ears being blown up and down seem completely fluid.

Now I am sure a pro would look at the clip and find some artifacts, etc but for my purposes, flawless.

Clip 2, same sample but slowed 10 times. This is the equivalent of filming at 300 FPS in HD. In this version there is a noticeable artifact. It happens when the vehicle and hence the subject, my dog, travels through the shadows of some trees. At 10x, this causes the software some unhappiness, and you can see some movement around of the shadowed area. However at 5x this did not happen. Otherwise it still has the same awesome hair and ear movement quality as the 5x did.

Now to add to this even more, I imported the 10x clip into PD12, and using Power Tools slowed it 50%. This became the equivalent of shooting 600 FPS in HD! PD's Power Tool slow mo did not seem to degrade anything, and the slow motion is staggering.

This is just the kind of thing I have been hoping for. Big thanks to The Crab for bringing it to our attention. ~Tom~
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
It's my pleasure to make a good contribution here, I only wish this was a plug-in, but that's not a deal-breaker. I think you'll find the stabilizer function of this program to also blow the in-house stabie AWAY. The important thing, also, is PS can use these files with no problems (so far).
Maybe Santa will bring me a copy!

NOTE: This software seems to be aimed at Go-Pro type action cameras, but I think that is too narrow, it works just fine for customers using "regular" cameras.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2013 20:52

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
I'm considering killing this thread as you appear to be discussing on the PDR12 forum a third party product* circulated by Barry. I know you'd like PDR12's slow-mo to be better. I'll refer the thread to CyberLink.

*one that is specialized and competes with the in-house version PDR12 contains.

Forum Moderator
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
That is why I did not post the live link, and also why I tested the program to be sure PD could utilize the created files (it can). I have corresponded with the company (Prodad) several times to indicate that PowerDirector users would be very interested in getting this and their other products offered as a plug-in. The New Blue and Pixelan partnerships, I would think, are doing well with Cyberlink. That being said, your point is taken, and I'll bring this up at the Webinar. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: That is why I did not post the live link, and also why I tested the program to be sure PD could utilize the created files (it can). I have corresponded with the company (Prodad) several times to indicate that PowerDirector users would be very interested in getting this and their other products offered as a plug-in. The New Blue and Pixelan partnerships, I would think, are doing well with Cyberlink. That being said, your point is taken, and I'll bring this up at the Webinar.

I agree with you Barry.
Dafydd