Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 10 keeps crashing - SOLVED
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Some progress anyway.

Might be worth reproducing a crash and then viewing the event viewer to see what happened.
Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools>Event viewer

Using this highlighted the .dll that was implicated in the explorer crashes I was experiencing, I could then find out what the dll was associated with and that led me to uninstall the offending software and cure the issue.
This has the full story:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22711.page

I'm away for a few hours but I'll have a think about next steps and post later.

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
If you have the experience, you might also try using the system configuration system in selective startup mode to try and isolate any issues - it tends to be a bit of a long drawn out process but if all else fails ...

This gives a good starting point:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Using-System-Configuration

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
vn800rider
[Post New]
Sorry, forgot this bit - as far as I know the main video drivers are not loaded in standard safe mode so they may still be an issue?? Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
JeffD76 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 07, 2012 20:07 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
So reproduced the crash, but the problem seems to be that it never makes it to the event viewer. All of the crashes have just given me the PD10 error reporting screen where I can send the minidump file to Cyberlink. In addition, the line in the file that details the offending module says "unknown".

So seems like that won't be much help unless I can actually get it to stop responding through windows explorer.

Looks like I am going to be spending my day tomorrow cycling through selective startup to try to figure this out.

EDIT: Decided to roll back my Video card driver just to see if that my be the problem, still got the crash.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 10. 2012 14:29

JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok have an update here. Was messing around with some stuff tonight and have come across an interesting development. I had downloaded the K-lite codec pack because it said it could fix issues with existing codecs. Installed just fine and I decided to test it out. Went into PD10 and started editing a new video. Was going great for quite a while (remember I was getting a ton of crashes editing my last video) before the program stopped responding. I looked at the event log and apparently the RichVideo.exe keeps shutting down unexpectedly which causes PD to hang. Tried disabling the service, but PD won't run without it. I have a feeling this is causing some of my problem with rendering as well since I am getting the same offset code as what is in the crashrpt file that has been getting sent to Cyberlink. So any ideas on how to solve this? I can't seem to find anything on the web about updating or fixing the Rich Video component.
vn800rider
[Post New]
If you have the experience, there is a registry key that enables RichVideo. The default is enabled.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector\10\EnableRichVideo

default value 01 00 00 00

change to 00 00 00 00

to disable RichVideo

You will notice that the import media pop up no longer has the bottom section that allows previewing etc the selected media.

This is fully reversible so low risk but, as always, hack the registry at your own risk. Take a backup before editing it.

I don't know if RichVideo is used elsewhere in the system but I have run without it in previous versions just for testing. It is also used by other CL programs like PowerDVD so may have other purposes.........????

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 12. 2012 02:49

Confucius
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well that didn't work, apparently it's not RichVideo that is the problem.

Finally got around to doing a selective start up and took kind of a binary approach. Enabled all of the Microsoft services and attempted a production. Crashed. Great that means it is one of those. Disabled all and decided to go through one by one. Checked the Group Policy Client which enabled the RPC endpoint Mapper as well. So with only these processes running I attempted a render and it crashed.

Used another program "Starter" to see if there was anything else running at the time that Windows didn't list. I have attached an html file with that report. It seems all of these processes are essential to Windows. So what now? The crash reports either give me "unknown" as the offending module or "vphc700.dll" as the offending module.

I really don't want to be able to only use PD10 in safe mode as that is just not practical.
 Filename
starter services.html
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
142 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1237 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12. 2012 13:51

Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
Is there web cam & software installed? Google searches come up with this belonging to Phillips webcam or malware? Have you ran a malware program lately just to see if you clean? Grasping here...

Dave HP Envy 17
Win10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i7 Core - 4510U @ 2.00GHz 2.60GHz
16GB ram
PowerDirector 11 Ultra 64-bit ver. 11.0.0.3625
Cyberlink Power2Go Deluxe 7.0.0.1827
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I do have a webcam installed, but I don't think it is being loaded in the selective startup is it? Did a malware scan a couple of weeks ago as part of my regular maintenance, but I suppose another one wouldn't hurt.
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ran two malware scans just to be sure both came back clean. Have to go to work, but may try uninstalling my webcam when I get home and see if that does anything.
JeffD76 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, so uninstalled the webcam and software and was able to render a 10 min version and the full version of the video. Reinstalled the webcam and software and once again the program crashed. Decided to try to simply disable the webcam in the device manager, and lo an behold, the video rendered with no crashes. WOOHOO!!! Finally think I found the problem.

I guess my only question would be why is the program trying to use the webcam when I am simply editing or producing video?

Anyways, thanks for all of the suggestions and help people, now I am off to finally create more vids.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 13. 2012 14:24

Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
Well Jeff,
My guess would be vphc700.dll probably just interferes with PD10 in some way. You could do a search of your C drive and see if there are more than one instance of it installed, not that I would know what to do then.

Dave

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 13. 2012 14:37

HP Envy 17
Win10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i7 Core - 4510U @ 2.00GHz 2.60GHz
16GB ram
PowerDirector 11 Ultra 64-bit ver. 11.0.0.3625
Cyberlink Power2Go Deluxe 7.0.0.1827
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
vn800rider
[Post New]
Hope that's it.

Doesn't surprise me, PD in particular (but other NLEs as well) seem adept at searching out clashes and offering no explanation for crashes. I couldn't believe the manufacturer's web storage software (which I didn't use) could cause windows explorer to crash completely so that I couldn't transfer any media files at all - nightmare.

Another one for the knowledge base!

Suggest you add "solved" to the thread heading.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 13. 2012 14:42

Confucius
Enda [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 25, 2012 23:24 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
PD 10 Rendering A Disaster - Why Would You Buy PD12?
I have spent 2 years trying to get PD10 to behave with the simplest of tasks - simply burning a SD quality project (5-and half hours - 19Gb) from a Hi-8 transfer- to a BluRay Disk in SD.
Every time my i7 - 3.3Ghz with 7.98Gb Memory with all drivers updated crashes.
I have not attempted any enhancements other than Titles - no transitions, no PIP - No Power Tools - No Fix/Enhance.
All I have done is inserted Chapters and Titles - kindergarten stuff.
It has to be asked - what is the point of all the amazing visual effects - including multicam designer in PD12 - When:-
IT CANNOT DO THE SIMPLE BREAD-AND-BUTTER RENDERING OF SIMPLE SD-QUALTY PROJECTS THAT HAVE NO FRILLS.

I have seen comments that PD10 has trouble with low-light material with significant "noise" - and that customers should simply delete this section from the source material. (Is this person an employee or shareholder in Cyberlink)
Oh Really?
The bloody programs claims it can handle this stuff and even "Fix/Enhance" lowlight with colour correction & highlighting".
No it can't.
It cannot even render the material un-enhanced.

I have to say Cyberlink may be the highest rated video-editing/rendering program according to some reviews - but really, the arrogance of Cyberlink begins to make the designers of Windows Vista & Windows 8 look like saints.

At least Microsoft fixes its mistakes without any real cost to the paying customer.
All Cyberlink does after producing a substandard program like PD10 is bomabard the customer to BUY PD12 with no guarantees they have fixed the problems that occurred in PD10.
They flick you away like an insect.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Enda; Just a comment that you posted to a 1 1/2 year old topic. There have been a lot of changes since then.

A couple of years ago you posted this: "unstable Corel VideoStudio X4 PRO" and now you are back saying that Power Director is giving you the same type of problems. You also hinted that these programs are really too complex for you.

I assure you that both of those programs work and do not crash as often as you indicate. There is something going on with your computer that is causing these problems (I don;t want to blame you". Often the use of strong registry cleaners and poor maintenance contribut to all kinds of problems. Are you using a registry cleaner , either as a stand alone like Registry Mechanic or included in a antivirus like Norton 360? There is no good reason to do a registry clean up unless ALL YOUR PROGRAMS crash frequently. Registry Cleaners sound great but I think they were created by Apple so that they could say that MACs do have a registry to screw up so buy IOS. Stop using them.

There is no way to get 5 1/2 hours of video on a single layer BR unless you reduce the quality to the point that it is unwatchable.
How are you capturing the videos to your computer? Do you have your antivirus active during the capture? Why?

How often do you get rid of junk files? How often do you defrag? Are you using the system disk or are you using a USB attached hard drive. You really have not provided any information for us to work with. If you want to start a new thread with your current problems, we can assume that you only wanted to rant and not seek help. In that case, we can assume that the problems are picnic related.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 11. 2014 10:24

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Enda [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well for one thing it IS possible to burn 5 1/2 hours of SD video to BluRay. The topic was a 1996 Tour of Britain and Europe with footage taken on a Hi8. A month ago I converted this footage to mpg files (720X526) using PD10.
I then added chapters and titles - no enhancements to produce 9 PD10 DVD projects (about 4.0 Gb each) - and produced 9 DVDs.

Each of these DVDs was extremely watchable

I simply took 5 Projects to combine them as on large project using the "Insert Project" function in the File menu.

I re-entered the chapters (Chapters are removed when projects are combined). The Titles were retained as they were not lost) and redesigned the menu page to reflect the "new" chapters. (Corel X4's menu function is a nightmare)

PD10 - after one crash - Produced A Blu-Ray disk of excellent SD quality. However a chapter needed to be deleted.
I then attempted to do a backup disk (good policy) and PD 10 has not stopped crashing since then.

I attempted to combine the remaining 3 1/4 PD10 Projects (smaller - about 17Gb with fewer chapters but about the same number of titles - Palace of Versailles section).
I then converted a 1998 Tasmania Trip from Hi-8 to mpg and produced 3 excellent DVDs with

The BluRay project crashed during rendering despite by trying various options:-
* with or without "Open CL Technology).
* with or without x.v. Color
* with or without enable Hardware Video Encoder
- and all combinations of the above without avail.

It does not matter whether I am attempting to produce an actual BluRay disk or "Burn To Folder"

You have seen by computer specifications
Yes I use a registry Cleaner - but only because PD 10 - and before it Corel X4 - started to crash.
I clean out junk files and Defrag at midnight every Friday (Australian time)
I actively update all my drivers through the manufacturers' websites once a month rather than wait for Windows Update notifications.

The problem is in Rendering-To-BluRay.

I have had long discussions and interchanges with Customer Support. They have all my DXDIAG files from the time of the the crashes.
The only way there seems to be a (brief) solution is to do a complete reinstall (get a new password and CD Key of limited duration).

Sadly the provision for automatic notification to Cyberlink when PD10 crashes does not work As The Whole Computer Crashes.

I resent the implication that this has been a rant.
A rant? - Really? The problem has not been solved after 18 months
I paid out good money for PD10 - and it cannot perform BluRay rendering with the simplest, most undemanding source material plus chapters and titles - - - Basic Stuff.
I have gone to the community simply because of frustration of endless hours working with projects redesigning them so they do not "upset" PD10.
I have spent endless hours with the Customer Support - all whom have been very courteous . . . but ineffective in getting around PD10's design flaws.
I have spent hours downloading then installing - in various configurations to reduce possible resources wastage - the PD10 suite.
I have disabled all background programs so that the drain on resources are minimised.
I have been editing video for 12 years. It was the need to have a program that could render BluRay from either a HD or SD source that drove me to Corel X4 (it was appalling in the chapter-disk menu - ripple editing)
- and then to PD10 - which was considerably less awful until it came to rendering and crashing the whole computer

You imply it may be a picnic issue. ("Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair").
Believe me - it has been no picnic.

Rather it has been a "Problem Resides In Corporation's Knowledge" issue.

What arrogance - you are obviously a Cyberlink representative.
This one will be going around - When In Doubt:Insult he Customer
Enda [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh - I do have an antivirus working when I capture. capturing is not a problem
Why - so that I can download updates.

Yes 6 hours of SD video burned at SD Video Standard (look at the pull down menu - this IS an option) can easily fit on a BluRay disk and be just as watchable as the DVD versions.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Enda,
You have posted your issue on another member's thread, hijacking a resolved topic. If you wish for members to look and try to assist, you will need to start your own new topic.

Thread closed.

Forum Moderator