Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What's happened to my videos?
[Post New]
WOW!! YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!

I'm still wondering how it happened in the first place, but now the shimmer is gone and I couldn't be more pleased.

Thanks Cap'n Kevin for the idea of uploading two short clips, one produced complete with shimmer and the other in native form. Thanks to both you and JT for the solution and to Hal for confirming it. And thanks to everyone else who tried to help!

Once I saw where you were going with this and I compared both your settings, I went on to try other custom settings and came up with one that gave me a very clear pup video at a fraction of the size.

1920X1080
H.264 Codec Type
Lossless Quality
12 Keyframe rate

YOU GUYS SURE KNOW YOU STUFF! THANK YOU!!!!!

One more question. How do you delete custom .mov profiles? I experimented myself into lot of them. Dustie
I'm still working on it....
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Dustie -

It's great that you show your appreciation so genuinely. You're absolutely right. The wisdom & experience of many forum members like Jeff, Kevin & Hal couldn't have a price put on it! You're in good hands.

Maybe you could pop by this guy's place and give him a lesson or two. I think he got his manners from a CocoPops packet! http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/20858.page#116608

Deleting a profile is easy...

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Oh duh....guess I should have looked a bit harder. - does = delete, doesn't it?
Thanks Ynot (and I do believe you should have included yourself in there with Jeff, Kevin and Hal in your statement about wisdom & experience)

As to the CocoPops kid, somehow I don't think he'd "bother" to read any lessons I offered. I think he and fellow poser (oh, sorry, meant poster) , John-777, seem to be missing the appreciative gene. I will, however give CocoPops Kid a little credit, since he did say "thanks in advance" in his original post. Maybe he just thought that covered it, bad behavior and all?

I for one am truly grateful since now, thanks to you all, I can get back to work on some recent video I took that I've been unable to render without shimmer!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 20. 2012 01:11

Dustie
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Good idea Capn Kevin...how do I post a clip?

Thanks!

I am not Capn Kevin. But you can post a short clip right on this forum.

Use the Post Reply Button, not the Quick Reply button.
Blue Attachments button below the text box.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm still wondering how it happened in the first place, but now the shimmer is gone and I couldn't be more pleased.

Nothing really happened. When one is converting video there is never a one size fits all process that I know of, because of that it’s best to always keep the original specs when possible. The default "QuickTime FULL HD Quality" PD10 settings will work fine for some footage, just not all. Shooting nearly stationary patterns like carpet, leaves, grass, pine forest.... produce challenges for video compression algorithms and often a few changes in settings are necessary.

My opinion, I would stay with the “H.264 Codec Type” in the Video type setting when creating the custom profile for a multitude of reasons.

Glad the suggestion of adjusting "Key frames" produced a quality that you liked.

Jeff
[Post New]
Thanks Carl. I was able to post a couple of examples in a thread above but I appreciate your answering.

JL-JL... I understand the no one size fits all and this did keep me to keep the originals for sure. I guess what had me scratching my head is the fact that I'm pretty new to making video and from the beginning all the vids I created came out crystal clear. Then, a few days ago the shimmer problem showed up out of nowhere and from then on every single rendering I did had the shimmer. I even tried rendering a couple of the original vids that had rendered perfectly before the problem started and they had the shimmer.

That's why it was a head scratcher. First it wasn't there, and then there it was and I couldn't shake it regardless of what I rendered. I'm just wondering if, somehow, someway, I changed the default settings of the .mov format? Guess I'll never know and just chalk it up to a learning experience. I sure learned a bit more about this great program thanks to the problem and all of you so, really, I'm glad it happened.

Good advice to stick with the H.264 Codec Type. It does seem to give me the clearest video over other's I tried when using the .mov format. Thanks again!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 20. 2012 13:07

Dustie
[Post New]
An update.... both videos I did using the custom .mov settings weren't accepted as stock. The quality of the video just wasn't spot on as previous videos were.

So I went back over everything and just could not find any answer as to why .mov format was producing a shimmer in default mode.

Finally, as a last resort, I removed Power Director completely from my computer and reloaded it from the disc and IT WORKED! The shimmer it totally gone and the videos are back to the high quality they were before all this started.

I know I'm going to constantly worry that it could happen again, but I'll hold my breath. Thanks again to everyone who tried to help. You guys are the bomb!

Dustie

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 23. 2012 02:16

Dustie