Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
To purchase or not to purchase
Ian10
Newbie Location: Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom. Joined: Jan 28, 2012 07:28 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm about to purchase PD10 Ultra, having used Pinnacle Studio versions 9, 10, 11 and 14. If I buy software, I expect it to do what "it says on the tin" as I am no computer geek. If something doesn't work, I expect a replacement or refund, all I get from Pinnacle are suggestions on how to fix problems which causes my brain to go blank. My current version has now stopped me from burning a disc if I use chapters.
I would be grateful for some feedback on how PD10 Ultra compares with Pinnacle v15, as from my research, it seems better than the Pinnacle software.
Many thanks. HP xw6600.
Quad core E5420, 2.5Ghz.
4GB Ram.
Nvidia Quadro FX1700, 512MB.
HP DVD 1070
Windows 7 64Bit
Canon XM2
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Welcome to the forum.
Two things you can do...
1. post some computer info for us using PART B instructions.
This gives us a look under your "hood", no personal information is contained in the file you will create and attach.
2. download the trial.

So...PART B please.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 28. 2012 08:30

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, I'm about to purchase PD10 Ultra, having used Pinnacle Studio versions 9, 10, 11 and 14. If I buy software, I expect it to do what "it says on the tin" as I am no computer geek. If something doesn't work, I expect a replacement or refund, all I get from Pinnacle are suggestions on how to fix problems which causes my brain to go blank. My current version has now stopped me from burning a disc if I use chapters.
I would be grateful for some feedback on how PD10 Ultra compares with Pinnacle v15, as from my research, it seems better than the Pinnacle software.
Many thanks.

Try the 30 Day free trial before you buy.

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/index_en_US.html
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Ian10
Newbie Location: Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom. Joined: Jan 28, 2012 07:28 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barry, Hi Carl,
thanks for responding. I will dig up my computer spec and respond as soon as possible. I am currently downloading the demo version, but it's taking some time as my broadband is slow.
Thanks again,
Ian HP xw6600.
Quad core E5420, 2.5Ghz.
4GB Ram.
HP DVD 1070
Windows 7 64Bit
Canon XM2
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
Ian10 I pick up Power Director 10 3 weeks ago. I used Pinnacle Studio 14 back in 2010. I like it but I pick up a second video camera for I could have two views. Studio 14 was more work editing two tracks of video. So last March I got Vegas 11 Platinum. That work ok. So I was reading about Power Director 10 Ultra . I went a head a got it. I did not download the 30 trial witch is a good ideal. I will say I love it. I got a 64 bit video editing for a lot less money.

I set down the next day after getting it and took two video tracks each 1 hour and 20 minutes of video and edited it down to 12 minutes. Before I went to bed that night I had a finish video. Rendering took a little over 4 minutes on a Dell i5 laptop with 6 gig of memory. One of the best video editing programs I have bought for what I do.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 28. 2012 09:09

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Ian10
[Post New]
Hi Michael,
thanks for the information. Sounds as if it's doing the business for you. I won't be producing HD nor 3D at present, only 16:9 format.

Info so far re my PC:-

HP XW6600 Intel Quad core zeon.
E5420, 2.5Gh processor.
Memory type, DDR2-667Mh error correcting.
NVIDIA Quadro FX370, 256Mb PCIe graphics card.
3 times 250Gb SATA 7200rpm 3Gb/s, drives.
Running Windows 7 Enterprise.

I hope I have got this right, I got it from my son over the telephone.
Ian. HP xw6600.
Quad core E5420, 2.5Ghz.
4GB Ram.
HP DVD 1070
Windows 7 64Bit
Canon XM2
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The PART B information from the link is the best window into your machine. Send the link to your son, he'll figure it out and do it in just a minute, it's easy. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Ian10
[Post New]
Hi, sorry, got windows wrong, it's not Enterprise, it's the home version, must have confused this with the office.

The version is 64bit.

Must get all the info set up to plug into my messages.
Ian HP xw6600.
Quad core E5420, 2.5Ghz.
4GB Ram.
HP DVD 1070
Windows 7 64Bit
Canon XM2
PSW
Newbie Location: South Australia Joined: Jan 26, 2012 23:52 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

First post as a new user of PD10

I started with Pinnacle Studio (it came with the capture/tv card), didn't much like it (not saying that there was anything wrong with it - it just didn't 'click' for me) then moved to Adobe Premiere Elements. Forum rules say that we don't discuss/compare competing products I see, so I'll not go into the gory details of working with Premiere apart from suggesting to anyone that is considering it that they search the Adobe user forums for variations on 'Grey Screen of Death'

Anyway, after the divorce from Adobe, I spent a few weeks reading up and deciding between PD, Corel and Sony. As my main workflow at the moment is conversion of old (late 80's) VHS, PD seemed the best fit.

So far, I think I made the right choice. PD is a dream to use - it's simple and intuitive. All of the basic NLE functions are easily accessible with plenty of the more advanced stuff easily available without cluttering up and confusing the UI. It's quick and the enhancement and image stabilisation tools are very capable (essential for old video filmed on a full-format VHS camera that was about the size of a small briefcase).

Downsides?
I'm not thrilled by PD's capture performance - but that's not a problem as the Pinnacle PVR software that came with the card makes a good job of this side of things, so I've not bothered to experiment too much with settings.

The only big downside for me is the Cyberlink EULA - this really shows the difference in heritage between a product like Premiere that comes from a mature company at the top end of town and PD that comes from the other side of the tracks (no offence intended to Cyberlink - they've made a product that can compete and even beat one of the biggest, most powerful players in the field - they just need to grow up a bit on the legal side). The two killers for me that might, one day, drive me back to Adobe are the Single Installation rule - I expect to be able to install an application on both my desktop and laptop on the same licence providing that they are not used at the same time - if Microsoft and Adobe offer this, anyone can. The second EULA issue is the one of 'No commercial use' Why not? There is no explanation of what 'commercial use' means - I'm choosing to believe that it relates to commercial video production (weddings etc where the user charges for production) rather than the production of the odd promo for my (non-video related) trade-stand at agricultural shows - if that's not the case then it's back to the drawing-board.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2012 19:07

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Powerdirector can be used to edit anything you want, and shown on any media you choose. I have used it for contests, commercials, parties, and vacation videos for cash.
My PD-generated videos have been seen on both local TV, and FOX national cable. I have not yet been arrested. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
PSW
Newbie Location: South Australia Joined: Jan 26, 2012 23:52 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Powerdirector can be used to edit anything you want, and shown on any media you choose. I have used it for contests, commercials, parties, and vacation videos for cash.

Hi Barry,

I'm a noob at PD, but software licensing is a subject close to my heart - I'm one of those boring people that actually insists on reading EULAs before installing anything.

Bottom line is that, from what you've said above, you are almost certainly in breach of your licence.

The licence says

You agree to use the SOFTWARE solely for personal and non-commercial purpose.

We agreed to abide by that as a pre-condition for installing the software.

Of course, whether or not this condition is reasonable or enforceable is another question entirely - there are many different interpretations of commercial use, but all generally agree that using the product to directly make money (ie charging for a service that relies on its use) would definitely be in-scope.

Would CL ever try to enforce this? You know far more about the company than I do, but I doubt it - it's not really in their interests.

So why is the clause still in there?

There are a few possible reasons but I'd toss a coin between two of them
  • PD contains components or media that is subject to a non-commercial licence (possible one of the Creative Commons variants), or

• I get the impression that, although today PD stands up with the best of them as a semi-pro tool, its origin is as a toy; something that would only ever have been used for 'personal' use. It's always possible that the licence (which is a fairly crude example of the art) has just never been updated to reflect the growing maturity of the product

• These are just guesses though - I don't know.
    My concern is that I try to be good - to keep to my side of a bargain and I'd be much happier if this rather odd clause was not there at all.

BarryTheCrab
    [Post New]
    I know NUTHIN' about the EULA, but I suspect your 2nd guess is closer to the truth, after all, how could CL find the time to update the EULA, they haven't found the time to fix the bassackwards page-turn transitions.
    Violation?
    They'll have to rip my mousey from my cramped red hand.
    HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
    Ian10
    [Post New]
    Hi Guys,
    I'm now playing with the PD10 downloaded trial version, my first impression is good, although I found the picture in the preview monitor rather jerky when moving the scrubber along the time line, I'm not using HD. It could be me not having found full control yet.
    If I compile and produce a project (not as far as burning a DVD), will any watermark that is present, not be present when I install the full blown version of PD10?
    Ian. HP xw6600.
    Quad core E5420, 2.5Ghz.
    4GB Ram.
    HP DVD 1070
    Windows 7 64Bit
    Canon XM2
    Carl312
    Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: Hi Guys,
    I'm now playing with the PD10 downloaded trial version, my first impression is good, although I found the picture in the preview monitor rather jerky when moving the scrubber along the time line, I'm not using HD. It could be me not having found full control yet.
    If I compile and produce a project (not as far as burning a DVD), will any watermark that is present, not be present when I install the full blown version of PD10?
    Ian.

The trial version puts a 5 second watermark in the beginning of the produced video. That can be removed in the full version by cutting the first 5 seconds of the video off and producing again.

I do not know if it puts a watermark on the DVD, but you can simply re-burn a DVD in the Full Version.
    You can use the Trial Project file in the full version. The watermark is not in the Project file.

The jerky preview may be due to your computer's video card and Video Driver, Check for the latest driver from the manufacturer's web site.

Also lower the preview resolution may help.
    Click the rectangle below the time readout, and select High or Normal.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 30. 2012 09:38

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Ian10
    [Post New]
    Hi Carl,
    thanks for the information. I upped the resolution and the jerkiness is the same, no worse. I will get my son to do the necessary re the driver etc. I was struggling to find a cross fade transition and found that the audio transitions are also video cross fades!! Still trying to apply a fade in and fade out to sub-titles. I'll get there. You can't beat doing a project in the trial version to find out if it's the right software for you. I think I'll take the project through to burning a disc, it seems to make sense.
    Thanks again Carl and everyone else who have been so helpful.
    Best regards,
    Ian. HP xw6600.
    Quad core E5420, 2.5Ghz.
    4GB Ram.
    HP DVD 1070
    Windows 7 64Bit
    Canon XM2
    BillHansen [Avatar]
    Senior Member Joined: Jan 03, 2012 12:43 Messages: 178 Offline
    [Post New]
    Another newcomer and refugee from Pinnacle here. My experience with PD 10 has been 90% positive, and the other 10% has been due to my own lack of knowledge. For me it's been far easier to learn (the holes in my knowledge notwithstanding) than was Pinnacle. While many of the tutorials are far too quick and brief for my level of knowledge, the same was true of Pinnacle. The PDF tutorial bookon PD 10 is a good place for a beginner to start, and the help available from this forum has been just excellent.

As for problems with capture, I haven't seen those because before editing and rendering, I put all my clips onto the computer's HD. There's been no problem opening clips, folders, or projects in PD 10.

Last thing - for a while I used the trial version of PD 10. It worked well. Moving up to the paid version of PD 10 DeLuxe, there were a few features I missed, notably the ability to play previews in "full HD" - which occasionally hesitates but which gives a far better idea of the appropriate level of sharpening etc than the non-HD previews. I moved on to the "Ultra" version of PD 10, which restored those abilities.

Bill Hansen
    Ithac NY, USA Bill Hansen
    Michael8511
    Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
    [Post New]
    I would like to say I'm sorry for putting in Cyberlink competitors names in a few post I made. I must of missed that in the forum rules. I will not do that again.
    I guess I'm just so happy with Power Director 10. I'm like WILHELM G HANSEN that I already have the video files on the hard drive. Because the cameras I use has the SD memory sticks and I just put them in to the card slot and copy them over to it. I Do remember using the DV camera and having to plug in the firewire cable and doing the capture a hour wait for each hour of tape. The new tech stuff save me a lot of time.

I did one time copy a few VHS tapes over but I just use the DV camera with RCA cables and use the DV camera has a recorder to it tape. Then took the DV camera to the computer and capture of that tape. Work great.

Now one that I have read on some of the forum post is bruing a DVD disk of user having problems.. I had not try the Create Disk yet. So this morning I gave it a try. I did not go into sub menus I just did the main menu. It work like it should. I have not bought a Blueray burner yet. Just figer I better give it a try.

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
    GoPro 4
    Canon VIXIA HF G10
    Canon EOS Rebel T3
    Canon EOS 70D
    My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
    Carl312
    [Post New]
    Quote: Hi Carl,
    thanks for the information. I upped the resolution and the jerkiness is the same, no worse. I will get my son to do the necessary re the driver etc. I was struggling to find a cross fade transition and found that the audio transitions are also video cross fades!! Still trying to apply a fade in and fade out to sub-titles. I'll get there. You can't beat doing a project in the trial version to find out if it's the right software for you. I think I'll take the project through to burning a disc, it seems to make sense.
    Thanks again Carl and everyone else who have been so helpful.
    Best regards,
    Ian.

Not up the resolution, lower the resolution.

The higher the resolution the harder the computer has to work to display the video.

For fade in and fade out on titles, Select the title on the Title track, click on Modify button at top.
    In the Title designer the second tab (Click to modify Animation) Select the title in the Object box.
    down at the bottom Left of the window are the effects, click on one brings up the effects you can chooose from.
    Choose Fade, click OK.

Attached a screen shot of that area.

[Thumb - Title designer.png]
     Filename
    Title designer.png
    [Disk]
     Description
    Title Designer with notes
     Filesize
    141 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    165 time(s)

Ian10
    [Post New]
    Hi Carl,
    I only upped the resolution to see the difference, I've returned it to normal. Thanks for the direction on fading the sub-titles, I'm trialing the different operations before I put a project together.
    Thanks once again,
    Ian. HP xw6600.
    Quad core E5420, 2.5Ghz.
    4GB Ram.
    HP DVD 1070
    Windows 7 64Bit
    Canon XM2
    Carl312
    [Post New]
    Quote: Hi Carl,
    I only upped the resolution to see the difference, I've returned it to normal. Thanks for the direction on fading the sub-titles, I'm trialing the different operations before I put a project together.
    Thanks once again,
    Ian.

Titles are different from Sub-Titles.

I don't think you can fade Sub-titles.

Sub-Titles are the text you see at the bottom of the screen for the hard of hearing.

Titles are the text you put on the screen to describe or label things, Titles can be on a colored board with no video.
    Titles are what you use for the Name of the movie at the beginning and the Credits at the end.