Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No audio with some .mov files
Ned Ham [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2011 02:29 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I just purchased PD10 Ultra (10.0.0.1129a)
I'm on an Win7 64bit PC, QuadCore, 6gb RAM

I imported some video files to test and I found that with some of the files the audio is not recognized by PD10.
Files imported included .avi (worked fine) and .mov (some worked but others had no audio).
All the the .mov files that did not have audio were created with a Casio ZR100
This camera produces .mov video files using IMA-ADPCM (Stereo) for audio
These files run fine with full audio in WMP, QT and even WinLive Movie Maker
.mov files created with an iPhone work fine in PD10
While in PD10 if I right click and check properties the files with audio it shows an audio format type of ACC.
The files that do not have audio in PD10 come up as Audio File Type: Unknown

The files from the Casio do not show an audio track in the timeline either.
attached video is an example from the Casio, audio not recognized by PD10

Anyone have any ideas?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 30. 2011 17:57

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ned Ham,

I know this reply will not directly help with your issue. But, I did download and test your file on two separate systems.
Here, for the record, are my mixed results.

When testing on a 32bit XP Pro desktop, your video sample behaved fine from both the Library, as well as when placed in a timeline track.

However, when testing on a 64 bit i7 laptop, only the video portion of your file appeared when placed into a timeline track. It was not just a matter of the audio track being mute, but rather, just as you stated, there wasn’t an audio track present or generated at all. Also, there was no Audio when previewed from the Library.

Both of these rigs have the latest version of Quick Time installed. And both have the K-Lite (Full) Codec Pack installed.
The only difference between the two systems (other than the OS and the 32bit versus 64bit difference), is that the newer and more powerful laptop also has the additional K-Lite 64bit codec package installed, as on the K-Lite website, that is a recommendation made for 64 bit systems.

Hopefully some of our more technically astute members will chime in with a solution or insight into this missing audio issue, and the mixed results.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 23. 2011 04:52

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ned,
Well, in build 1012 I can import the mov and play it without any problem. In build 1129a patch I get a Media Source Error. I will do a full build install of 1129a and see what error shows on other mov files. There is a report in and CL has acknowledged there is a mov issue.

Your issue and my ref: 312.
Previous mov issue since patch release, my ref: 305.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20422.page

Dafydd
Ned Ham [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the quick reply.

Since I'm new to CL, do I just wait for a reply from support at this point?

I'm was hoping to get some editing work done during the holidays.

Thanks,

Ned
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Ned,
I did notice the response I got differed from what Cranston reported. The audio track did display for me, however that might be a carry over from the previous test.

At the moment you'll have to wait.

Please submit a support ticket into CyberLink online support, they might know something we don't and may come up with a solution, one never knows.
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Dafydd
Ned Ham [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks.

I did put in a support ticket on Wednesday before I even signed up for the forum.

I have a PD8 trial version that came on my pc. I thought i would try importing to that version since the problem seems to be with 1129a. I'll save the project and see if i can open the project into PD10.

I'll let you know if it works.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ned -

To add a bit of (probably superfluous) information, your 072.MOV file:
a. imported into PD10 without an audio track
b. imported into PD9 completely fine (audio & video)
(both on a 64-bit OS)
c. imported into PD8 perfectly
(on a 32-bit OS laptop)

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ned

I can concur with Tony.

1. Import into PD9 64 bit the clip works fine

2. Import into PD8 64 bit the clip works fine

Just a thought until the "boffins" at CL work it out; can you extract the audio from this file while it is in the media library?

If you can this might be a workaround.

Good luck Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
That was a good thought, Neil!

Only trouble is... in PD10, there's no option to do this with Ned's .MOV file.

EEK! Even PD9 had a little seizure trying to extract the audio!
[Thumb - NO Extract audio.png]
 Filename
NO Extract audio.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
316 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2011 19:24

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
As workaround, one could open the clip in a conversion program, and then extract the audio as say a .wma file, and import that .wma to PD10.
(I can't remember if the free Format Factory program, which extracted this audio just fine, is one of the programs we aren't suppose to mention here in the forum. If it is, then Dafydd, please delete this reference.)

It's a bit of a clumsy workaround. But in a pinch, it will and does work.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
ynotfish
[Post New]
Cranston -

That unmentionable program does extract the audio from Ned's .MOV file. It's attached.

A funny thing just happened when I tried to convert it to .MOV (to see if it could be normalised for PD) in FormatFactory... it produced a 00:00:00:00 duration clip, yet two other unmentionable converters did it without a hitch.

The audio format of Ned's original clip is ADPCM (according to MediaInfo). SUPER© converted that to AAC-LC & it imported correctly (with audio) into PD10.

Cheers - Tony

Filename
072.wma
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
201 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
387 time(s)

HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Using PD10 Ultra 1129a unpatched version on a 32 bit system (specs below) the clip imports and plays fine.

I was also able to extract the audio with no problems.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Ned Ham [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again everyone for looking into this issue.

I did get a response from support this evening but they just asked for my SR and a DxDiag which I provided. With the holidays I'm guessing it could take some time to get a response.

I tried to bring the files up in my free version of PD8 which came on my PC but this version does not support .mov at all.

It sounds like my best work around for now is to convert the files to another format. Are you allowed to make product suggestions on this forum? Tony kept referring to unmentionable converters. I'm guessing CL has one but it's not a favorite of the forum members? I'll have to look around for something.

Tony, I did download your .wma file and it seems to work but I have a couple hundred clips from this camera so I think I'll look for something that will convert the entire file without extracting the audio. Any suggestions on the format I should convert too?

Thanks again.

Ned

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 24. 2011 01:42

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Ned -

It's a PD10 64-bit issue.

About conversion - just "convert" your clips to the same format they're in. 1920x1080 MOV.

PM sent

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 24. 2011 01:46

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
Just an update. Look for a Patch release - coming this week I believe.

Dafydd
Ned Ham [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Ned
ynotfish
[Post New]
Sadly, the 1129b patch has not resolved the issue for Ned's .MOV files from the Casio ZR100 in PD10 on a 64-bit OS.

It exhibits the same behaviour reported above.

Cheers - Tony
Ned Ham [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have an update and good news. 1129b did solve the problem but with a twist.

After installing the 1129b patch I tried importing the two files I had tested in 1129a and found that I did have sound in the Media Room Library, which was progress, but still no sound when I moved it down into the timeline. I tried some additional files from the Casio ZR100 and I was pleased to find that they worked fine.

I decided to make copies of the two suspect .mov files using Windows. I imported the copied files into 1129b and like magic, they both worked.

I'm not sure if I was unlucky before and tested the only two files that would not work in 1129a or if those files were somehow changed by being imported to 1129a. That does not make sense to me but I don't know what happens during that import process. I'm pretty sure I tried other Casio files in 1129a but these may have been the only two I tried in the timeline.

In any case, 1129b seems to have solved my problem.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Ned

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2011 17:56

ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote: Sadly, the 1129b patch has not resolved the issue for Ned's .MOV files from the Casio ZR100 in PD10 on a 64-bit OS.

... or, alternatively, it has!

Ned - that just makes it more of a mystery.

• The 072.MOV you posted still behaves the same here (audio in Media Library but not in timeline)
• Why would other files from the same camera behave differently?

During the import process nothing happens, except that PD remembers the file path to your media. The clip is not altered in any way at all.

Cheers - Tony