Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
.mov not importing ... standard suggestions not working ...
Burmie123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 11, 2011 08:03 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

I have downloaded a trial version of PD 10. I am trying to import .mov files created on a Panasonic camera [TZ5] but am getting the "An error occurred ...". I have tried re-installing quicktime, have done a clean install and no luck. These movies play fine on Adobe Elements and quicktime.

A sample of details of such a file:

1280 x 720
Data rate: 23849 kbps
Total Bit rate: 23914kbps
Frame rate: 30 fps

I'm not sure what else may be of use.

I am really keen to try out PD10 as opposed to Premiere Elements, but these difficulties are almost making this a non-starter ...

Any help would be appreciated ...
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Allow other editors to check out the HDlite file on their systems. Please attach a 5 to 10 second mov video sample from your camera.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/reply/0/20422.page

I use .mov files of 1080p 30fps and have no difficulty.

Please provide a diagnostic file and a screenshot of the import failure message you are experiencing.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Part B and E&F for the screenshot.

Dafydd
Burmie123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd

Sorry. Didn't read the guidelines ...

I'm also using Windows 7 64bit.

I have attached a clip as well as the diag files and screenshot.

Thanks
 Filename
Burmie.rar
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
312 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
363 time(s)
 Filename
Vietnam_SMC_1781.MOV
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
34875 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
285 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
The video file download is slow and is still going on.

Have you tried a more recent video - taken today with the same camera?

I see the file is in a folder dated 2008-09-13 (I use the same date format) which shows this has been retained a while. What other files in the same folder have you tried to open in PD10?

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2011 11:32

Burmie123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
No. I haven't got the camera on hand at the moment.

I have tried some video from about 3 months ago though. It's in a different folder but none of the .movs in any folders are playing.

I have no problems opening .mts files from a different camera which are in the same folder.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
I have at last downloaded the sample file... phew, took a while! The video of Vietnam traffic with bikes and a police car has been imported into my PD10 - using click'n'drag - into the media library and plays without a problem.

Please update your drivers - go to the ATI site.

Please do a simple uninstall/reinstall of PD10 trial. Please look up the trial limitations.

I'm still thinking about the issue.

Dafydd

Burmie123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for looking. Unfortunately, I've already tried both of your suggestions.

Not sure if it means anything that Quicktime and Adobe both play it no problem ...

Also can't see any restrictions in the Trial version ...
Generaallucas
Newbie Location: Apeldoorn, Netherlands. Joined: Apr 24, 2011 14:28 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
I have a similar problem. To allow myself to use hand-drawn animations within powerdirector, I want to use Flash, export it as a .mov (because .avi is a horrible invention) and then use the chroma key to delete the background. I can play the exported mov in all media players on my computer (windows media, vlc media, realplayer ánd windows classic) and even open it in windows live movie maker... except for powerdirector.

I use Adobe CS5. of course, Flash is a piece of shit, but for animations it works just fine. How is it possible then that powerdirector doesn't support it???

i tried to convert the mov to something else, but then the animation blurs with the background and when i use the chrome key it messes up the video. Another option is to export it to an avi without any compressing... guess what happens XD

any suggestions?

Edit: tried it with FLV (Flash Video). Same problem.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 11. 2011 14:03

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Burmie123,
I have imported your mov file into two HD editing PC's. One has lots of software on it and other editing programs, the other doesn't have much at all and is set up just to edit and not to do much else. BOTH imported the mov in without a problem.

I would like you to carry out the following please.

1. Go to your Control Panel or Start button (bottom left of desktop screen and select to uninstall QuickTime.
2. I'd like you to Uninstall PowerDirector 10's trial
3. Please re-boot
4. On startup please re-install PowerDirector 10 trial.
4-1. I don't know if the trial contains the QuickTime program and as it might not then the inability to accept mov may be the reason why the problem persists.
4-2 QuickTime for a full program would be re-installed with Pd10.

The aim here is to remove any driver that is not being over-written with an uninstall of either QT or PD10.

There is a readme instruction for PD9 NOT to install certain codec packs as they overwrite Apple's codecs and interfere with the running of PD10. Only a complete removal of the codecs in the way I have indicated reverses the situation correctly.

Generaallucas Please start your own topic/thread for any issue you have. If you find answers here fine, but this thread is for Burmie123's issue only.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 11. 2011 14:07

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
There's no point in trying to reinstall Quicktime as PowerDirector doesn't use it for decoding video.

For security reasons I won't open rar files, so I can't see what operating system you are using. If it isn't Windows 7, then you can't import mov files with AVC/h.264 codec in the trial version. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
[Post New]
Xerox;
Security concerns?? Most Anti-virus nowadays scan files inside both ZIP and RAR Automatically...unless you have turned it off, and THAT would certainly be a SECURITY problem.

I think the process of having users ZIP (or RAR) their files was due to the fact that without it, search engine spiders were indexing user DXDIAG files. The spiders ignore the ZIP and RAR files (at least the majority od them do).

Also, maybe I miss something, but I would expect that EVERY program would use Quicktime to decode MOV files, no? I mean, you can install OTHER Codecs that will do this, but, isn't Quicktime the default?

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 11. 2011 19:53

Burmie123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Removing Quicktime and reinstalling the trial was the first thing I tried after I read this:

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=12811&prodId=4&prodVerId=930

Not sure what Unicode has to do with this although Panasonic is a Japanese brand ...

Still, I just tried it again. No luck.

Look like I'm doomed to a world of Adobe ...
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Burmie123,
I referred the problem to CyberLink for investigation. My ref item 305.
INFO:
CyberLink have confirmed there is an issue with the importation of mov files into PD10 Trial on 64bit platforms. They are working to correct the issue.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2011 04:37

Burmie123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd.

Do you know if this problem is only on the Trial version? i.e. if I bought the full version do you know if I can be relatively sure it will work?

Thanks again for your effort.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Burmie123,
I'm still using build 1012 and will download the latest 1129a later today (when I have nothing to do!). I'm using PD10 Ultra on a 64bit set up. One of my cameras records mov files - I expect the latest build 1129a to be ok and I suspect the issue is only with the trial - from the test CL carried out.

If my mov files fail to display.... you can be sure CL would get to know about it, ha ha.

Dafydd
reinhard.plietsch@web.de [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2010 11:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everybody,

I am experiencing exactly the same issues: .mov from my Panasonic TZ5 cam not loading anymore, however playing fine in WMP or Nero. My system is Win 7 x64, and my PowerDirector 10 Ultra is a FULL version, Patch 1129a installed.

Have opened a ticket w/ Cyberlink as well.

Before patching, I experienced a hang of PowerDirector. Since having updated to Patch 1129a, whenever loading a .mov file, an error message is shown (corrupt file or wrong format or protected file bla bla...).

Any other thoughts?
Regards,
repli