Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New tool for creating custom PiP masks available! Mask Converter 2.0
CharlesF
Member Location: Everett, Washington. U.S.A. Joined: Apr 16, 2009 20:49 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Does this tool work for PD8 ... and am I understanding correctly this will allow one to make a mask with a soft edge?

Thanks in advance

Yes, the new version (v 3.0) does work with PD8.

PD8 now supports PNG image files as masks (instead of their own .msk format in PD7).

All the mask converter does is convert white pixels in a bitmap image to fully transparent pixels in a PNG image. It then stores that file in the .../PowerDirector/Masks folder.

The mask converter does not support gradient transparent pixels. You'd have to create your own PNG image with graphics software that supports PNG and transparency opaqueness. (like Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop)

However, even if you had such software, and could make a PNG image of the correct dimensions and with a gradient alpha transparency, I'm not sure that PD8 would support it. I would be surprised if it did. But, I am skeptical.

There is one alternative. If you're careful about how you place your white pixels in your original BMP file, the resulting mask could appear like it has a gradient (faded) edge. But it would be pixelated, not soft. What I mean is, make a latice of pixels. A grid that has spaces between the transparent pixels. The density of transparent individual pixels would be greater toward the edge than closer to the center of the mask.

Sort of like a "halftone." (Google it)

You could try experimenting with different sized PNG files too. The larger it is, the more individual pixels you'll have and the softer the edge will be.

Hope all this makes sense.

Good luck.
Ralloh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 09, 2010 09:00 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
It does make sense. Thank you for the detailed answer ... I appreciate it. When I get back to the states I'll download it and happy to donate to the cause.

Nothing like traveling with lousy internet access!